Author Topic: Getting new people interested in Cannons and Mortars - How did you do it?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Went to the store today, spotted a pickup truck out in the parking lot, with a guy just getting out to head into the store. Noticed he had a large tank, welding/cutting, hung on his back bumper. I matched strides with him, going in the door, and asked if he was a welder? He said "Yeah, but I'm cutting today." I asked how his supply of tanks was, and he told me he had a number of then, but was going to get rid of a couple.  ;D Ah Ha, there was my opening! I asked if he knew the Inside Diameter off hand, as I was interested in making a ..."Bowling Ball Mortar"...the flood gates opened, and for about 15 minutes we talked the "how to's", including me stressing the "safety factor", and he confided to making a small brass cannon on his lathe....upshot was, I wrote down the web site, and he's going to check out GBO, and said in parting..."I WILL get in touch with you!"...How easy was that?.... ;) BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works

Enthusiasm begets enthusiasm.   ;D   Soon we will have more fellow addicts.

How do I do it?  I just do it.  As with you it just takes opening of the mouth and striking up conversations - I add humor - wehn talking about my soda-pop bottle caliber mortar, which shoots 16-20-24oz bottles filled with concrete, I say 'I'll bet you never thougth that Coke and Pepsi were the same caliber."

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
I use the  magic words. "Wanna shoot a cannon!"  Works every time.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Every little boy in the world has wanted a cannon ,at least since the invention of gunpowder/cannonage .

If you can get them to see one fire ,just stand there and watch his face ,
"right much  ;D" ear to ear !

You here these youtubes cannon videos where .....KA BOOOOM !! ,then these would be warriors giggle and chirp like little girls . ;D

They pretty much sell themselves because they are  so goober 8) cool .

My issue when talking about them is at some point I realize I got way ahead of the guy , this is especially true with bronze . It sells itself too ! Nearly everyone asks "How Did You Do It?"

If you want to see someones eyes roll back in their head.....try and tell them .......,forget about it . Dan warned me on this too , "Dont even try" , "Tell them you did it in the kitchen ,with a hair drier ! ;)" . As usual Dan is right .

Then theres the smell itself which is addictive to male DNA ...... So basically there are those little boys who grow up to become men who labor and toil their lives away and wheather or not they die a "self actualized man" depends on YOU and ME  .

Now that I think about it one of those little Dom cannon key chains would be a good prop that you could have at hand ,that wouldnt overload the candidate right off , if he nibbles ........   

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I got one of the Dom BB mortars and fired it at work the other day.  Our office manager who's husband served in Iraq, says to me "where can I get one of those cannons"?  I showed her where and will have to order one for her.  Tons of questions and her husband used to shoot artillery in the National Guard.  She said not to tell her husband about the big ones. ;D

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
Well, that means you should have sent him the link as soon as she walked away.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Living in the land of the Buccaneers and Gasparilla, all I have to to is mention that I shoot cannon, and people are instantly interested.  Even better - shoot it.  For some reason, people are drawn like flies to the distinctive sound of black powder. ;D

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
I have had a lot of fun and sold many "firecracker launchers" as featured in Backyard Cannon Fun. Several years ago, Rays 89 designed and talked me into building this small, inexpensive and way inexpensive to shoot barrel. Our internet sales of this barrel have given us the oportunity to refer many new 'black powder cannon' users to GBO. They represent a bunch of our board members. We are usually thanked for the referal and almost without exception, cite "friendly, knowledgeable and the  fun forum 2 go to. They buy more and larger barrels from me and the other great sponsers here on GBO. Spring is on the way...visit our website and gift an unsuspecting friend and we will turn him (or her) into an addict.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
There is no telling how many you fellas hook just by discussing them here. I have been wanting a cheap little golf ball cannon or mortar for a few years after seeing you guys post on them. Just never can think to look them up to see where to get one. I figure that would be the hardest part since yall are so easy going and help out everyone who has questions.
Molon labe

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Good topic, BoomLover! I usually shoot my scale model cannons at a private range, and while some guys do give me that raised eyebrow look (like what the heck is he up to), they almost always mosey on over to see them being fired and ask some questions. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

A year ago, it was just a talking point, but we might have enough interest here to open the premier  chapter of the C.C.C.C. (Curry County Cannon Club)...(C4 for short? ::) )...anyway, several have expressed interest, and at least two are talking about making their own, rather than buying...they are some of the "Guests" that lurk around...I'm a bit amazed, but I guess I shouldn't be! 5, possible 6 of us! See what you guys started? LOL, BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline GGaskill

I get the C4 reference but it really should be C4.    ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

Yep, that works too, George! What is neat is the guys reading this site and getting ideas to make their own! I preach the safety factor and they are listening and learning!. Got a couple of pretty neat mortars coming up, I'll try to get them to join and post pics....Might not be "spot on" accurate, historically, but looking close by the drawings and plans...

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
A year ago, it was just a talking point, but we might have enough interest here to open the premier  chapter of the C.C.C.C. (Curry County Cannon Club)...(C4 for short? ::) )...anyway, several have expressed interest, and at least two are talking about making their own, rather than buying...they are some of the "Guests" that lurk around...I'm a bit amazed, but I guess I shouldn't be! 5, possible 6 of us! See what you guys started? LOL, BoomLover

I have  Fired a cannon from  Battle Rock!!!!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
[I have  Fired a cannon from  Battle Rock!!!!

Betcha can't to it now!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
Boomlover
In the summer my wife and I shoot in a big rock pit up on Iron mountain, Do you have a good place in mind  that's closer?
Bob