Author Topic: Safe? Really?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Safe? Really?
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:47:08 PM »
In many posts I've read, and I know you have too, that someone says that they only carry, or carry heavy, if going into a known bad area. While that's a very good idea, just what constitutes a bad area? Sure, some are obviously worse than others but the cold hard facts are that crap can happen any where, any time, to anyone! How many times have you heard folks say, " This is such a nice area, so quiet, peaceful and crime free, I can't believe someone was just robbed, murdered or raped here?" It happens and way more often than folks like to admit. Just my opinion folks but if you are going to carry, are serious about self protection (If you carry at all you dang well should be serious about it), then you should always go armed and be alert as if every area you go into is a bad area. I've said it before, and I'll say it till the day I die, " Better to have and not need than to need and not have!" 

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Safe? Really?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:47:49 AM »
Well said.  So very true.  I sometimes drive with my gun covered with a hat on the passenger seat or in the floorboard, where I can easily and quickly get it if I need it, before having a chance to exit the car.  (Faster that drawing from a holster.)  Anyway, like everyone, I make a quick stop to run in the grocery store or some other place to accomplish a small errand.  The same question always comes to my mind.  Should I take the gun?  I admit that some times I don't.  That's foolish, and as Spirithawk said, it's not being very "dang serious" about why I even own the gun. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
Good points , I carry an extra/ larger gun in areas of known high crime. I know these areas because of the number of times they are mentioned in the news as crime scene locations. They are places where I see crimes being commited or see drugs being sold. They are places with little police presence.They are places where I am in the extreame minority and made to feel unwelcome in the area. And last its where I have never been before .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
"Good Areas" get more press when crime happens. "Bad Areas" the same crime may never make the news.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:08:35 PM »
It all depends here.  Under current SC law (which there is a bill in progress to change, but we'll see if it passes) we have a lot of limitations as to where you can carry.  Those "No Concealable Weapons" signs do carry legal weight here, but most depressingly, you cannot carry in ANY location that serves alcohol for consumption on premises, regardless of whether or not you're drinking.  The first thing that springs to people's minds is bars, but the reality is that most restaurants outside of a fast food place sell alcohol.  That shuts off a lot of locations where you can carry here.  As a result, my gun stays in my car a lot when going out.  Also a problem though is that I work at a government building.  That means no gun on the premises period - even in the car.  As a result if I go anywhere after work without fist going home, there's no real carry option (though I'm going to admit - SOMETIMES I cheat a bit park in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store so that I can leave the gun in the car).

If I am anywhere I feel unsafe though, then I make a point of avoiding any off limits locations so that my gun can stay on me.  Hopefully though the law gets changed this year and I can keep my gun with me more frequently.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »
Here in Branson, it being a big tourist town, crime tends to get down played so as not to spook the tourists.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »
What was it Dillinger said when asked why he robbed banks----that is where the money is.
Why rob a mom and pop in the 4th ward for $50 when you can go to a more affluent neighborhood and get more.
Bad comes to you as much as I go to it.
This little berg of a BR community is beginng to get home invasions.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:52:02 AM »
What was it Dillinger said when asked why he robbed banks----that is where the money is.
Why rob a mom and pop in the 4th ward for $50 when you can go to a more affluent neighborhood and get more.
Bad comes to you as much as I go to it.
This little berg of a BR community is beginng to get home invasions.
Blessings

Exactly! As I said, Branson has a very good reputation as a safe town but it don't take a lot of thought to realise that tourists are prime targets for muggers. May not happen a lot but it sucks if you are one of that minority that gets chosen.

Offline jimster

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:32:31 AM »
In many posts I've read, and I know you have too, that someone says that they only carry, or carry heavy, if going into a known bad area. While that's a very good idea, just what constitutes a bad area? Sure, some are obviously worse than others but the cold hard facts are that crap can happen any where, any time, to anyone! How many times have you heard folks say, " This is such a nice area, so quiet, peaceful and crime free, I can't believe someone was just robbed, murdered or raped here?" It happens and way more often than folks like to admit. Just my opinion folks but if you are going to carry, are serious about self protection (If you carry at all you dang well should be serious about it), then you should always go armed and be alert as if every area you go into is a bad area. I've said it before, and I'll say it till the day I die, " Better to have and not need than to need and not have!" 

Good post there, I tell people who are getting their permits the same thing, be serious about it, wear your gun like a watch, it's always there.
No such thing as a bad area, there are only bad guys, and they are mobile.

Offline steg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
I think Spirithawk and jimster said it all..................

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »
This isn't applicable to myself being north of your Border. I would not wish to lock up any firearm in my vehicle considering the chances of it being stolen and the thief now aquires a gun as well that most likely falls into criminal hands and can be traced back to you.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
This isn't applicable to myself being north of your Border. I would not wish to lock up any firearm in my vehicle considering the chances of it being stolen and the thief now aquires a gun as well that most likely falls into criminal hands and can be traced back to you.

It's a necessary evil when you consider that there are certain places you just can't legally carry into.  It's leave it in the car for the time being or leave it at home completely.  Besides, around here vehicle break-ins are relatively rare around here.  No point in bothering unless something valuable is left in plain view as most newer vehicles have alarms - no sense drawing the attention when quite often they'd come up empty handed. 

I do think it's a good idea to leave all the NRA and gun window/bumper stickers OFF of your car though.  Aside from bumper stickers looking a bit tacky in the first place, you don't want to advertise the fact that you're a gun enthusiast.  That usually correlates to gun owner, which often correlates to a good chance that a gun is in the car, or if they're really dedicated and follow you home, they know that you're likely to have guns in that home too.

Offline fm2

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »
There's so many handguns & gear now that are made for carry, it's much easier to do.

How safe do you feel in your own front yard or driveway. We had a case here last week, people were followed home, and shot at in their driveway. Their grandson was the only person wounded. He underwent brain surgery and is recovering.

Remember, " It's the stakes, not the odds that is important".

Offline ratdog

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »
  my sister in law moved in with us for 4 months she never locks the doors in california where she lived i told her she's nuts and that she was going to lock my doors when she comes and goes. here in utah it is amazing to me how many people who don't and she would open the door before looking out the window to see who is there first. her kids where the same way they drove me nuts. thank GOD they moved out awhile ago. have a great day.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 02:38:36 AM »
I have two firearms floating around out there.
I have had one of them traced back to me from a pawn shop, but by the time the paperwork got completed and noticed the gun had gone away at the pawn shop.
Let 'em trace it back to me--maybe i can get one back--specially the Hi-Power.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 04:34:53 AM »
run a cable thru the trigger guard and around something solid like a seat support and lock it .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 04:38:50 AM »
BTW they trace a gun from manf. to you not back from the crime to you. If you have traded or sold the gun in a legal manor you are but one link in the chain to the crime

Offline ratdog

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »
i have friend that his ruger security six was stolen  out of his car twenty years ago last year he got a call from police in alaska that they had his gun he got it back it is in fair shape. ive bought and sold a lot of guns for years i have thought i would here about one one of these days they change hands a lot.i also had a friend at work that his was stolen and he found it at a local pawn shop he got it back with a little hassel. have a great week end.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 05:53:03 AM »
I had one end up in France and got a call from the ATF about it , seems the ser # had been the problem.

Offline shot1

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
I help teach the handgun carry permit class in TN. I hammer into the class that the first thing to have in a gun fight is a gun. It does you no good in the glove box in the car when you are not in the car. Thank goodness they have eased many of the laws in TN on where you can not carry. It is now legal to carry in a place that serves alcohol as long as you don't drink any. There are not many places you can not carry in my area except the normal Fed buildings and court house and the Hospital and some doctors offices are posted, on your person on school property, ( you can leave it in your car) unless you are enrolled as a student which is stupid. If a business place post no guns it gets boycotted and they usually take the sign down. It is a class B misdemeanor and only a $500 fine if you are prosecuted for carrying in a posted place. I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for carrying in a posted place in my area.