Author Topic: New Redfield scopes  (Read 1203 times)

Offline pl270

• Trade Count: (8)
New Redfield scopes
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
Anybody using these? I am looking at getting the 4-12x40. Just looking for opinions on it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline grout-scout

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Redfield scopes
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
I bought a 3x9x50 accurange, I wanted the 4x12 but I already have a bunch of Leupold 40's so I wanted something a little different. Anyways, the scope seems nice for the $$$, I have not looked through it at low light to see how it compare to my Leupolds. The accurange is worthless to me because it is calibrated to start at 200, then 300, 400, 500. I didn't know that when I bought it and the scope went on a 7-08 that won't be taking 200 plus yard shots. The power dial turns easily, it has good eye relief. I hate the big red "R" on the side, it just looks cheesy to me. I'd probably buy another one if I was in the market for a economical scope again.

Offline pl270

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
I thinking about putting it on my 270 with shots out to 350 Yards. I looked through one with the accurange. I could get used to it.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
I would get one of the Bushnell 3200's now that they are being revamped to another model.    It is a much better scope.  The Redfields are much like the Leupold Rifleman models.  They're good but not better than the 3200. I have the range finder thing on one of my Pentax scopes and I absolutely hate it...I missed a deer this year because of all the lines on the cross hairs and my inability to line the right one up in time. I'd rather have a single cross hair and set my rifle up an inch high at 100yds. Then I can shoot up to 200+ yards and hit what I'm aiming at...Anything over 200+ yards is too far for me where I live.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
i agree. Ive got two a 2x7 and a 4x12 and there both back right now because they dont track properly. the ajustments are mushy and not even close to being accurate. The 4x12 even changes elevation when your adjusting windage. For the money they have real good glass though. The glass is as good as a 3200 but the 3200 is just a better quality scope. I bought two 32oos and one 42oo lately while they were closing them out. Problem is theres not many left out there to find. I doubt id ever buy another redfield revelution and and about done with the friction ajustable leupolds too. Just to much of a pain in the but to ajust on a gun you switch loads with often. I love my leupolds but for now on vx2s will be the cheapest leupold i buy.
I would get one of the Bushnell 3200's now that they are being revamped to another model.    It is a much better scope.  The Redfields are much like the Leupold Rifleman models.  They're good but not better than the 3200. I have the range finder thing on one of my Pentax scopes and I absolutely hate it...I missed a deer this year because of all the lines on the cross hairs and my inability to line the right one up in time. I'd rather have a single cross hair and set my rifle up an inch high at 100yds. Then I can shoot up to 200+ yards and hit what I'm aiming at...Anything over 200+ yards is too far for me where I live.
blue lives matter

Offline pl270

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:36:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I will check on the Bushnells.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:04:24 AM »
If you want my opinion on a cheap scope...it's that you are buying a cheap scope.

If you are going to set it and forget it, with never touching anything on the scope again once it's zeroed on the magnification you want, then it might be okay.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:06:07 AM »
Another scope that is a sleeper in my opinion is the Federal Intensity.  They were made by Weaver and have excellent glass.  You can find them less than $70 as they are being discontinued. Sportsman Guide had them. I bought the one with the aspherical lenses like the old Simmons Aetec and couldn't be more pleased.  Both of them sit on k31 Swiss rifles and have never moved zero.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
They are not easy to find or plentiful, for a "cheap" scope you might as well get a fixed power one. Simple, less to mess up. Considering that a lot of times you set the Variables on one power and leave it, why not just buy 'simple" in the first place
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline pl270

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
I got a couple of good gunshops around here that I can compare a good selection of scopes. May find them cheaper online, but atleast I can look thru them around here first. Looked a redfield the other day cause it looked like he had a decent price on it and asked for some opinions on it on here. I've just started shopping for a scope and a fixed power is definitely not out of the question.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
pl270, I would buy whatever looks good to your eyes. For me, I like the 20 mm Leupolds and the new Revolution Redfields.

I have two of the 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution scopes and couldn't be more pleased. One has the accurange and one the plex. I like them both. Ok glass, Ok adjustments, great eye relief, lightweight,  Leupoldlike ocular bell to aid in scope mounting, Leupold forever warranty.

With the problems Lloyd is having with his, the warranty is a big factor. anyone not like the Leupy warranty?

The last one I purchased cost me $110 from Cabelas with discount coupon.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
leupold has allways taken care of me and hopefull will again this time. When the 4x12 comes back it will go down the road. My buddy wants it and i allready bought a 3x9 vx2 lr to replace it. Im still up in the air about keeping the 2x7. Its adjustments werent as bad as the 4x12s so i didnt loose as much confidence in it. I wont buy another though.
pl270, I would buy whatever looks good to your eyes. For me, I like the 20 mm Leupolds and the new Revolution Redfields.

I have two of the 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution scopes and couldn't be more pleased. One has the accurange and one the plex. I like them both. Ok glass, Ok adjustments, great eye relief, lightweight,  Leupoldlike ocular bell to aid in scope mounting, Leupold forever warranty.

With the problems Lloyd is having with his, the warranty is a big factor. anyone not like the Leupy warranty?

blue lives matter

Offline grout-scout

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
leupold has allways taken care of me and hopefull will again this time. When the 4x12 comes back it will go down the road. My buddy wants it and i allready bought a 3x9 vx2 lr to replace it. Im still up in the air about keeping the 2x7. Its adjustments werent as bad as the 4x12s so i didnt loose as much confidence in it. I wont buy another though.

Is the VXII LR also calibrated for 200 plus like the accu range? Or does it start @ 100 yds? Thanks

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:45:09 AM »
dont have any experince with the redfield reticle. Both of mine are standard duplex. I do have a nikon and just ordered a Lr leupold. I believe both are about the same With standard calibers you start with a 100 yard zero and with mags you start with a 200 yards zero. Keep in mind with all of these reticle designs you are getting a generic setting and no two guns will be the same and change the load and it will change again. the only way to use them properly is find a load and they take it to the range and find out where the hash marks actually shoot to poa.
blue lives matter

Offline grout-scout

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:29 AM »
don't have any experince with the redfield reticle. Both of mine are standard duplex. I do have a nikon and just ordered a Lr leupold. I believe both are about the same With standard calibers you start with a 100 yard zero and with mags you start with a 200 yards zero. Keep in mind with all of these reticle designs you are getting a generic setting and no two guns will be the same and change the load and it will change again. the only way to use them properly is find a load and they take it to the range and find out where the hash marks actually shoot to poa.

Mr. Smale when you get that Leupold can you let me know about the LR reticule. The Redfield accu range is set for the following: Starts @ 200, then 300, 400, 500. If using a magnum it's: 300, 400, 500, 600. I had no idea it was made that way when I bought it because to be honest I would not have. If the Leupold starts at 100 then I'm going to sell this Redfield. Redfield even gives a list of calibers that is supposed to work with the accu range and to be honest they might because ballistically the calibers shown are all very close in dropping distances. But I do agree people should not take their word for it. Thanks