Author Topic: .30 us carbine bullets in a 30-30  (Read 1089 times)

Offline bluez

• Trade Count: (0)
.30 us carbine bullets in a 30-30
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:55:42 AM »
Last week i bought an old box of Sako 30-30 bullets, they are loaded with 63 grains round nose fmj bullets.The muzzle velocity is 910 m/s (2986 fps). I would prefer not to use the cartridges, and keep them in my collection, so i am speculating to load round nose .30 us fmj bullets up to the same velocity. Has anyone tried this? Does the shorter bullets match the twist in a 1894 Winchester rifle (made in the 90's)? And should i be concerned about barrel wear?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: .30 us carbine bullets in a 30-30
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
i  loaded some  up a few years  ago

loaded some in the 308 also

let you know if i ever get them to the range

actually  mine are remington  soft points
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »
Do no use a FMJ bullets in a tube fed rifle or you could have a round go off in the magazine from recoil. I personally would not use the 110 gr SPRN bullet made for the 30 carbine for fear of the same thing. You could shoot them single shot or have a two shooter. One in the chamber and one in the magazine. Unless you already have the bullets why would you want to try the 110 gr bullet made for the 30 carbine when you can get the perfectly wonderful Sierra 125gr flat nose HP bullet that is designed for the 30-30 Winchester and it's velocities that can be used through your tube magazine?

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:47:05 AM »
I've fired 110 FMJ and soft points from my 30-30 94 some years ago.  Yes, the velocity is pretty fast; according to my load book, around 2700 fps, however, I doubt you'll get the same accuracy or long distance shooting you can with 125's or 150's. 

As mentioned above, be wary of shooting such bullets in a tubular magazine.  I fed my 94 one at a time when I did this for two reasons.  1st, the possibility of multi-ignitions in a tube magazine.  2nd, with 110g FMJ, there is no cannelure and even though I was able to crimp my bullets pretty well, the recoil might be enough to push the bullets into the case (similar to folding a telescope).  If the bullets get crammed in each case, excess pressure can develop. 

There are so many bullets available in 30 cal, my advice is to just stick with the ones made for tubular magazines when loading for the 94.  If you're interested in experimenting, get yourself a single shot H&R or Thompson Contender and you can experiment all you want with the 30-30.  You'd be amazed at the performance of this cartridge when loaded for a 14" Contender barrel.  At 100 yards, I can outshoot my 94 with that little pistol.

Offline bluez

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
I agree that shooting pointed fmj bullets is a risk, but would really Sako use this type of bullets if that was a risk?

Her is a picture:

However, this bullets is a little light but i just can't find any 145-160 fmj round nose bullets.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »
Did you read all of the instructions on the box.  There may be a disclaimer that says something like "only for use in bolt action rifles" or something?  To tell you the truth, I've never seen ammo like that.  ???  I've never even heard of 63 grain 30 caliber bullets either.  Can't imagine what use they would be.  ???
But then again, aside from .22's, I think I've probably fired about 200 factory rounds of any kind of ammo in my whole life.....everything else is my own brew.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
I would venture to guess that that load was designed for the European market..where the 30-30 is available is various single shots and drilling.  Very popular over there for roe deer and other same sized critters.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline shot1

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
I agree that those were probably meant for the Euro market. What do you need a FMJ for in a 30-30 Win?

Offline bluez

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
I agree that those were probably meant for the Euro market. What do you need a FMJ for in a 30-30 Win?
I was hoping to use the rifle on large birds like Western Capercaillie ( i live in Scandinavia), without to much meat destruction. Many use the 6,5x55 in fmj for this. There is no disclaimer regarding what time of firearm only that it should bee used in fire arm in good condition. However i have seen drilling's, single shot rifles and even double rifles chambered in 30-30. A very popular firearm used to be a single shot Husqvarna in 30-30. However there is also a lot of lever action rifles her also.  Better be safe then, one in the chamber and one in the chamber.  Strangely there 6 gram is 93 grains so looks like a typo from Sako.

Offline shot1

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
I did some research and found some load data for the Hornady 110 gr bullets for the 30-30 Win. Best load was with VIHT N-130 powder start is 21.9 grains 2100 fps and max is 31.4 grains 2600 fps. COAL 2.490

A model 94 Winchester with 20" barrel was used in the work up and Hornady/Frontier cases with Federal 210 primers were used.

Put one in the chamber then put one in the magazine to be safe.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »
I tried some of these light bullets years ago in both the 30-30 and the 30-06.  Totally unimpressed with the results, and haven't fooled with it since.  Accuracy beyond 100 yds. was terrible.  The 150 grain was far more accurate in both calibers in all the guns we had.  We went to the 25-06 for light bullets and never looked back.....

But, who knows?  Your shooter might like them. :)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)