Author Topic: 1.5 inch Hughes breechloading cannon?  (Read 5279 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 1.5 inch Hughes breechloading cannon?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
I think with such a system if you forgot to lock it when the powder fired the loose bolt would move back allowing the gas to quickly expell in a flash....... someone might get a powder burn but I doubt that there would be a catastrophic failure.......
If you really have to have a safety then build it into the bolt head where it pushes agains a cam allowing the hammer to strike, if the bolt is not fully closed no matter what you do the hammer won't fall.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
How do we prevent accidents with all the various cannon models?  We follow safe operating procedures.  For example we don't rapid fire as we are not in combat. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline guardsgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
It is my belief that at least this type of Hughes gun did have a built in safty.  There is a hole under  the locking lugs on the bolt with a interior square cut under the bolt. Around the hole inside the square are four threaded screw holes.  I think that there was a small 3/8" plate that elevated from the bottom thru the hole of the channel on a rod which pivoted an exterior mounted bracket an ran along the underside of the barrel to the breech. Someday I will work it out and go back and put it in mine.

de_lok
Please site a source of these Hughes gun blowing up. I have seen none but would be highly interested given that mine/ ours are made real close to the original.

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
It is my belief that at least this type of Hughes gun did have a built in safty.  There is a hole under  the locking lugs on the bolt with a interior square cut under the bolt. Around the hole inside the square are four threaded screw holes.  I think that there was a small 3/8" plate that elevated from the bottom thru the hole of the channel on a rod which pivoted an exterior mounted bracket an ran along the underside of the barrel to the breech. Someday I will work it out and go back and put it in mine.

de_lok
Please site a source of these Hughes gun blowing up. I have seen none but would be highly interested given that mine/ ours are made real close to the original.

I was reading the history of deployment of these cannons and read something to that effect, maybe island 10 ? My go to laptop is down that has all my links saved, I may be able to find the article again in the next couple days.It may have been an article in the Artillaryman Magazine? The thing that facinated me most about these are they were made in Memphis Tn. I live 1.5 hrs from Memphis and go there regularly and love the artillary history from that area especially Quimby & Robinson guns.................... If I am slow to reply the next few days the wife took the week off from work and is my new slave master doing "honey do's" lol............................

Dewayne

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »

de_lok

I believe this is the article I read. After reviewing it, there is no conclusive evidence, just hear say................
http://artillerymanmagazine.com/Archives/2008/hughes_su08.html