Author Topic: Define dollar  (Read 648 times)

Offline Gary G

• Trade Count: (0)
Define dollar
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
Ron Paul ask Ben Bernanke to define the current definition of the dollar.

As I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that when I was a young man that question was easy. The dollar was one ounce of silver. I remember when I could work almost anywhere for about a dollar an hour. Today folks think that must have been terrible. Well that dollar, being one ounce of silver, is $35 per hour today. That illustrates just how much purchasing power the dollar has lost since 1971.

Bernanke said that he would define the dollar by how much it would buy in goods and services. Now if I loan Ben a dollar for ten years, the chances are that the dollar that I get back will buy very little, if anything. In other words, Ben has defined the dollar as something just about worthless.

Here is the link to the youtube video of the monetary hearing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV6MElf8xpo
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Define dollar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
Utah has some folks that understand how to define a dollar.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/utah-considers-return-to-gold-silver-coins/
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
Why would anybody pay his/her taxes etc with a gold or silver coin when the value of the coin exceeds the numerical value by a very large amount?
I wouldn't even consider paying a one dollar bill with a Silver Dollar coin.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »
scatterbrain, very true today. When the dollar was unbacked by anything of value, it started down the road to become worthless paper. An old adage is "bad money drives good money out of circulation".  Backed by the full faith and credit of the bankrupt government. Etc. Etc.
US history is repleat with times that the governemt devalued the dollar to rape its citizens.
Pay in paper dollars, save silver and gold. There is not enough physical gold and silver to facilitate trade in everyday transactions. Look for a law to make all transactions electronically.
If the paper dollar were to trade today with the metals, I would guess that the value of one ounce of silver would equal about 90 paper dollars. I base this guess on what it bought me in 1964, but I could be wrong.

The Hermit

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
Utah will take the spot value as payment.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
money  is based on something  of value

human life is the most valuable thing on  earth  [democrats excluded]

with the minimum  wage  at  $7.25    ...approx

one  dollar  is worth  approximately   8 and a half minutes of human life
thats what you can exchange a dollar for......8.5  minutes  of some ones  life

raise the minimum  wage to  $10......and what have you done  other than it gets you re-elected
have  you increased the value  of human  life with the stroke of a pen??????                                  no one has that  power.....all a $10  minimum wage would  do is de-value the dollar

if you don't  understand what i am saying  read it over until you do
i see  the dallor de-valuation......i mean  minimum wage  raise  coming soon
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:21:46 AM »

I presume spot value means actual metal value? This would change on a daily basis, is this what you mean?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:35:52 AM »

I presume spot value means actual metal value? This would change on a daily basis, is this what you mean?

;) You got it.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:18:29 AM »
One of John Wayne's horses.