Author Topic: Hogs on White Oaks WMA  (Read 1439 times)

Offline MUDD_RATT

• Trade Count: (0)
Hogs on White Oaks WMA
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:06:36 AM »
Hello from the frozen north. Two of my hunting buddies and I are heading to Texas the end of March to do some bow hunting for hogs. This will be our third trip down and have yet to harvest a hog. We have hunted in the White Oaks WMA along the Sulfur River and have yet to see a hog. We have seen wallows and some rubs in the area of the big ranch, Brosco or something like that, but have not seen what made them. Any advice on where I should look would be greatly appreciated. Harvesting a hog would be great, but just being in the woods is what it is all about, that's why it's called hunting and not killing. Thanks guys.

Offline Mohawk

Re: Hogs on White Oaks WMA
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
Unfortunately, most WMA in TX have a lot of hunting pressure thus less animals. You would have much better luck on private land for hogs. And the average prices are reasonable. Public TX lands are good for rabbits and varmints but even the squirrels are shot out on most lots. Deer and hog harvests are traditionally pretty poor. Personally, I would cough up a couple hundred bucks to at least see game on private property. Somehow deer and hogs recognize public/private property lines. 

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
If you're finding wallows and rubs the hogs are around.Problem is they are very unpredictable and certainly have too much hunting pressuire there.Most likely they are only active at night.If you're really serious about bringing a hog home,I'd suggest using a firearm and hitting him in the head or spine.Sticking an arrow in one won't be too much trouble but finding the beggar afterward is going to take some real tracking skill.Don't count on a bloodtrail even from a perfect shot.Having said all that just remember the most important thing......have fun.

Offline grout-scout

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
I don't have any help for you but I'll offer a good luck and hope you can find them this time. Are you allowed to dump out a pile of corn to pull them in? If so, that might help a little.

Offline markc

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:40 AM »
Mudd Ratt, on my recent trip (last week) through the hill country I noticed banners for hog bow hunting in a number of towns.  Perhaps do a google serach for hog hunting of the following small towns,  Hondo, D'Hanis, Uvalde, Bracketville.  These are towns (except for Uvalde) that depend on hunting for a large portion of their annual economy.  They often have weekends where they host hunters, bowhunters for hogs, and run them somewhat like a fishing tournament with prizes etc  and a dinner.  It might make it worth the trip and increase your odds of seeing hogs on private properties that are not always open or affordable.   
markc

Offline MUDD_RATT

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Had a great time in Texas came home with pork this year. Went door knocking and had invites to hunt private property. Saw lots of hogs, but I limit my bow shots to 40 yards and did not get an opportunity with bow. Last 2 days went with long guns and took a sow and boar, both in the 100# range. I have been rethinking this archery pig hunting, they can take alot and still keep going. Had a great time, the weather was, well I have ice in my veins 10 degrees when I left and at 87 degrees when I started hunting, I ran out of spit in 100 yards of walking. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat and am already planning my next trip down. Thank you TEXAS   

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
Told Ya! (: Glad you had a good hunt. We have plenty more so come back when you want...... (:

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
this time a year roun here... they ain't gunna come out in daylight.
we hunt'um year round here wif crossbow and rifles.
ifin ya set your stand up correctly you can do jus as much damage to tha hawgs
wifa crossbow thana rifle. depending on tha equipment used and your ability.
we do both !!! and only at night, right now....its kinda warm here ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.