Author Topic: Got another question (lapping rings)  (Read 662 times)

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Got another question (lapping rings)
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »
How many of you guys lap your rings? My last set of new rings scratched a scope for me and now I'm kinda worried it might happen again.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Got another question (lapping rings)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:17 PM »
On those rare occasions when I don't use Burris Signature rings I lap them. It might not be necessary with premium rings but with the standard run of the mill rings most folks buy I sure would.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »
Would you consider Leupold dual dovetails premium?  I have lapped some and not others, and never scratched a scope or seen a difference in performance.  I always buy Leupolds.  Don't like the clamp-on weaver style stuff.

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
I almost always use the signature rings but sometimes the cheap side of me comes out and I buy the standard Zees. Do you guys use a store bought lapping tool? If I have to spring for a tool I may as well buy the signature Rings. Thanks for the help.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:00:37 AM »
I have a Wheeler kit in both 1" and 30mm.  The stuff that I use for rings and bases are pretty good and almost never requre lapping.  I have had to lap Burris XTR rings before, but never my Nightforce/Leupold/IOR stuff.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:14:01 AM »
you can buy the best rings in the world and it still could be nessisary. the reason you do it for the most part is the lack of precision the gun makers use in drill the holes for your bases.
blue lives matter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:37:47 AM »
I almost always use the signature rings but sometimes the cheap side of me comes out and I buy the standard Zees. Do you guys use a store bought lapping tool? If I have to spring for a tool I may as well buy the signature Rings. Thanks for the help.

My only gripe about the Burris Signature Zees is they don't offer them in low, so I use the standard Zee rings and lap them using a Russ Haydon lapping kit, probably one of the best buys on the net at $24.95 plus shipping.

Tim

http://www.shooters-supply.com/web_specials.html

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapping.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline grumps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I have never lapped any of the rings that I have used.  I have probably used all of the most sold ones in WM, Bass Pro, Cabelas, local pro shops.  Most that I have now are Leupolds and Millett.   Maybe I needed to but never heard of the process.  In a nutshell what do I need to look for to determine if I should lap them.

Offline grout-scout

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »
You won't know what to look for until you lap one! You can't see the problem. What happens and I don't know why but when the rings are made they aren't perfectly round on the inside. A lapping rod goes in place of the scope, you put some grit on the rod and procede to push, turn it inside the rings. At first it is tough to get going, but the more you "stroke" it the smoother it gets. After a few minutes and a little more tightening on the rings they are good to go. After you clean the grit out of the rings you will see why EVERY (except sig. zee rings) set of rings needs to be lapped. They are now truly round, giving the rings more bite against the scope tube. A out of round set of rings can actually dent a scope tube. At first I was a bit skeptical but I have now lapped 4 sets of rings from Warnes to Weavers and all were out of round.
A person can make their own lapper kit but I say it's just as easy to buy the kit, plus the kit comes with a torque driver & bits, 1" rod, 30mm rod, cd instructions and a tube of lock tite.