Author Topic: Beautiful bronze Spanish cannon located in Bridgeport, CT  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Beautiful bronze Spanish cannon located in Bridgeport, CT
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:58:51 PM »
This bronze Spanish beauty was cast as a smoothbore in 1794; it was rifled at a later date, and it was taken as a trophy gun during the Spanish-American war.

http://ctmonuments.net/2009/08/spanish-american-war-monument-bridgeport/

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Beautiful bronze Spanish cannon located in Bridgeport, CT
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
Beauty!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »
It is a beauty!
Why do you suppose it is sitting level?  It can only be resting on something.  I don't think someone would use tight cap squares to immobilize a public display gun.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
It is a beauty!
Why do you suppose it is sitting level?  It can only be resting on something.  I don't think someone would use tight cap squares to immobilize a public display gun.
Zulu
Looks like a small crossmember about halfway down the curve.  You can see the bolt head on the side.  Nice barrel.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:13:48 AM »
If you look at this image from the article, you can see it better. 
http://ctmonuments.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/P1170260.JPG

Good eye, Mike!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:39:22 AM »
Nice clean lines on that one ,very nice ! 8)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:23:27 AM »
It's a shame they didn't photograph the engraving but it looks like the crest of Carols the IV
the name of the gun would be nice to know which is engraved near the muzzle nice looking
cannon just wish they knew what photo's to take....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
It is the cypher of Charles/Carlos IV of Spain who ruled from 1788 to 1808, Allen. This is a photo of the cypher as it appears on a bronze 12-pounder on display in Leutze Park, Washington Naval Yard.

U.S. Navy

This information on the cannon displayed at Seaside Park, Bridgeport, CT was obtained from "The Chief of Ordnance Report of 1901."
"Detailed description of the captured Spanish cannon distributed to the several States under orders of the Secretary of War dated July 1, 1899."

Bronze 4.8-inch Muzzle Loading Rifle
On base ring No. 3559  Sevilla, 13 de Deciembre de 1794
On surface of piece, Reinforce: "IV."
On surface of piece, Chase: "Labadaco."
On left trunnion: "Cobre de Mexico y Riotinto."
On right trunnion: "P  3600."

Labadaco is the name the piece was given, but I haven't had any luck trying to translate it to English.

flickr, JamesPolk

flickr, kgandarillas
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
I think that I've just about exhausted the possibility of finding any other translating site on the net, so it looks like "Labadaco" is going to remain a mystery. This seems to be one of those cases where the name the gun was given is a Spanish slang term.

The "Cobre de Mexico y Riotinto" marked on the left trunnion face, records where the copper used to cast the gun was mined; in this case the copper (cobre) came from Mexico and an ancient copper mining site located along the Rio Tinto, a river in southern Spain.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
Labadaco is a word from one of the  Philippine dialects

Offline willdj79

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
I love that one picture of it aiming out in the water during the sunset..

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
http://www.tagalog-dictionary.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?s=Labadaco.  No match found!

http://www.tagalog-dictionary.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?s=laba.  labŽa ­ maglaba, labhŽan (mag-:-an) v. to wash clothes, to launder. Lab- han mo ang mga damit. Wash the clothes.

http://www.tagalog-dictionary.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?s=daco.   No match found!

http://www.tagalog-dictionary.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?s=dako dŽako' n. spot, place

Labadaco a spot to wash the clothes.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Lavadora--the washer.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »
Douglas,

I don't think the Spanish would have used a conquered native people's indigenous language from any of their colonies to name one of their artillery pieces, that just wasn't in their mindset. They came to impose their language, faith, laws, and will upon those cultures that they conquered; and let's be honest about it, they generally didn't show much regard for those peoples way of life. At least I don't recall ever seeing a Spanish gun named that way, not even a gun from a colonial foundry, let alone one cast by a foundry in Seville. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 01:04:26 AM »
Actually  I think you you are right. But it led me to what I think it is  lavadora, the washer or cleanser in Spanish.