Author Topic: Scope suggestions for .308  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope suggestions for .308
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:27:19 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new here.   I am a avid bowhunter with 25 years experience, however, know very little about firearms.   Since moving to Colorado,  I'm realizing there are lots of opportunities to put meat in the freezer if I had a rifle.  I'm going to be buying the Survivor .308. I looked at one at a local gun store and actually like the feel of the stock.  I like the feel and size of the gun, and for the prices I've seen, it seems like a good deal. 
  When it comes to putting a scope on it, I want to put something decent on it, but I dont want to spend 3 or 4 times the price of the rifle on the scope.  Reading reviews on some of the big box outdoor sites, alot of the cheaper 3-9x40 scopes (sub 100 dollar ones) get either horrible or mixed reviews.  This brings me to my current favorite bino makers, Vortex.  I see they make riflescopes now, and they have an unlimited lifetime warranty on them.  I have a pair of Vortex binos that I love, and people that look through them think they are every bit as clear and crisp as glass costing 4 times.   I've got a good friend that is really into firearms and he says to get a Nikon Pro Staff and dont look back.  Another buddy of mine has several Handi's and he says put a cheap Simmons on it and call it a day.
  What are some suggestions for a decent scope with a price point of no more than say $250 or so?   Anyone have one of the Vortex's?    I'm not looking to do any significant long range shooting with it, but I'd like that capability.  Real world, I'm looking at late season cow tags, doe antelope tags, maybe some yote hunting here and there.  I would imagine  most scenarios would be +- 300yds or less.  I would rather be closer than farther away.

Thanks

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
Re: Scope suggestions for .308
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »
Go to a gunshow, generally there will be one or more tables with used scopes for sale at upto half off the retail price for the same scope,  I have bought Leupolds, Lymans, and Weavers and have never had a problem with any of them.

The scope on  my .308 Winchester is a  3X Lyman with a crosshair and post bought used at a gunshow over 20 years ago.   Good scopes don't wear out and you can tell if a scope has been abused by looking at it.

I have over a dozen scopes and half of them were bought used.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:49:22 AM »
I always suggest people buy the best scope that they can afford. I buy Leupold, my preferred flavor is a VX II 2x7x32 Matte.

These can be costly for some, costing more than the handis I mount them on. But as Parker Gun Shop mentioned, look to USED LEUPOLD'S! If you buy at least a VXI to be covered by Leupold's LIFETIME WARRANTY. No matter the owner or the date built. Send it back for a free repair. You just pay to get it to Oregon.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
if you like vortex you wont go wrong with one of there scopes. They had a real good deal going on the 2x7s at cameraland a while back. I dont know if its still there or not but would be worth checking out. Other good choises are the leupolds but id go to at least a vx2, nikon monarchs, bushenelll elites are also good scopes for the money.
blue lives matter

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions.  I am going to get out and do some side by side comparisons.  I am leaning toward the Vortex, just because of the great experience I have had with them and my binos I own.  A few years ago, I was on a bighorn sheep hunt, and while working my way across some rocks, I spotted some sheep and dropped down.  I didnt realize that the lens caps were open,  and as I dropped down, the lens landed right on a pointy rock, creating a large chip in the lens.  When my hunt was over, I placed them in a box along with an explanation of what happened, and shipped it to them.  I had my binos back, as good as new, within short order. I've used them on lots of different hunts and really abused them, and they are great. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »
ive got a set of 8.5x40 razors and im really impressed with them too.
blue lives matter

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:39 AM »
Titan, there are a lot of scopes in your price range but if you've had good experiences with Vortex I'd say "give it a shot"

The 3x9x40s are the most common so they tend to be the most affordable. 

Some makes that haven't been mentioned that have very good reputations are the Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 and the Sightron SII 3x9x42.  The Sightron is usually closer to $300 but if you are patient you can pick one up at the $250 price point.  The Burris can be had for as little as $140 on ebay and it is a heck of a value.

Also, check out SWFA.com  They usually have discontinued models from the major makers at very deep discounts.  A little while ago I had committed to buying a high end scope for my .308 and was prepared to spend $5-600 on a low power variable.  SWFA had some discontinued Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 scopes (MSRP $835) that had been selling for $568 marked down to $299.  They had 5 or 6 left and some friends and I bought them out.

Burris, Leupold and Sightron all have great service departments and policies.  I have sent scopes to all three for repair and they all have done the work free.  In fact, both the Burris and Leupold repairs were for scopes I bought used.  When told that they both had the same kind of response; "We warrant the scope, not the buyer.  The faster you send it to us the faster we'll get it back to you."

Good luck.

Lance

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
IMO, for $250 budget, you can't beat the Nikon Monarchs.  If you research around, there is no better alternative in that price range.

Heres an example of a 2-8X32 for $250
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567705067&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you wait around to find a used one (WILL STILL HOLD FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY even if ur not original owner), you might be able to get it 30-50 dollars cheaper like this one here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218256458

This particular monarch (the 2-8) has 3.8-4.0 inch eye relief

You can also aim for a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 from ebay.... these guys used go for about 200-210 (full lifetime warranty).... I love these cause of the massive eye relief (3.7 - 4.7 inches), fully coated lens, and just the reputation of VX-II.

Between VX-II and monarch.... most people will recommend monarch, but I don't think you can go wrong with either

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
+ Monarch
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte