Author Topic: Acuity/Contrast/Resolution Charts for Scope Comparisons  (Read 468 times)

Offline woodseye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Acuity/Contrast/Resolution Charts for Scope Comparisons
« on: December 23, 2003, 02:02:51 AM »
Here are some charts I use as per request for comparing lens quality and resolution on scopes in periods of strong and minimal light. They are best used at a given yardage and with scopes on as similiar a power as possible (not all scopes are what they say on the power adjustment) using size as a determining factor. The Acuity charts are easiest to use and will really separate the good from the best optics at low light. The one is the USAF 1951 chart that is still the benchmark for testing......the other came from a shooting magazine and has instructions that came with it.

Scope MUST be perfectly still on rest or bags and lenses should be clean and free from even dust. There are other tests such as pointing scopes towards but not at the sun and checking for flares/flareouts and reticle color change from reflected light and checking for true color rendition. Will leave them up for a couple days and than remove to save bandwidth on forum.
Charts are removed if needed PM me.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
Acuity/Contrast/Resolution Charts for Scope
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 02:05:33 AM »
Here are two of what I consider the better Resolution Charts........
Charts deleted if needed PM me

woods
PUT GOD FIRST

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 02:11:11 AM »
Although hardest to use these Contrast Charts can quickly show subtle differences in the way a lenses separates shades to your eyes, and comes into play in low light conditions the most............
Charts deleted if needed PM me.

The middle chart has worked best for me as it adds color to the mix.

enjoy woods
PUT GOD FIRST

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 06:26:02 AM »
But where do you buy the charts? I've found them on the internet and when I get home will check these but just looking at one that says USAF 1951 in bottom left corner I can see the defects in it right on the screen. Nothing I printed out from online gave adequate definition for serious use even when printed on a high quality laser printer. Blown up to normal size all are degraded way beyond serious use.

The charts I found that would originals for the job sold from about $400 to over $5000. That ain't in my price range.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 10:30:39 AM »
The only one with any flaws in it is the USAF one and I have a perfect one on Adobe that I'll see if my son can send to you. If you want quality beyond the rest of them I guess you'll have to step up and pay the bucks for original charts. These are more than ample for testing scope clarity and contrast for me.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST