Author Topic: how much of a shim?  (Read 595 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
how much of a shim?
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
I have a bushnell 1x5x32MM Trophy made in japan
I would like to mount on my 38-55 The main problem is the power ring on the trophy scopes they are large in return it hits the top of the hammer.I could grind down the hammer but I am not crazy about that idea.I can shim the base .010  then it will clear the power ring and hammer.I am using the weaver 4x4 rings in High
Can I go 10 thou under the base ???

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: how much of a shim?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
Don't know, I've always just changed mounts to some that fit.
Remember, if you place .010 on the entire lower section of the mount you'll not only raise the hight, but decrease the circumfrance. That may put undue pressure on the tube when the top ring is tightened.
I'm using Weaver Tactical on all my Handis with 2 Scheels scopes and one CenterPoint and they all fit just over the hammer.
FWIW, the rear objective housing on the Scheels is 1.6", the CenterPoint is 1.64" and I've been looking at Bushnell 3200 series and the Trophy and noted the rear housing is 1.7",(took my calipers to the store and measured), I haven't tried, but I think I'd have enough to put the Bushnell on without changing mounts.
found elsewhere

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
I fix it by cutting the base notch back 1/4" now the rear ring sits at the rear flush : gave me what i needed so no shim is needed for extra height and the power ring clears the tip of the hammer

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
Don't know, I've always just changed mounts to some that fit.
Remember, if you place .010 on the entire lower section of the mount you'll not only raise the hight, but decrease the circumfrance.

The shim would go under the one-piece base, so it wouldn't affect the scope tube.  ;)

Tim

I can shim the base .010  then it will clear the power ring and hammer.I am using the weaver 4x4 rings in High
Can I go 10 thou under the base ???
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:40:33 AM »
Which base rail do you have?
IIRC my factory multi slot H&R is a bit higher than my Weaver 82, so with the same rings I get two slightly different heights.
With a shim under the rail it will decrease the circumfrane but that will result in the 'edges' contacting first which is much better than the center contacting. Something stiffish, yet compressable, like business card stock, with tighten in, but it can absorb and hold moisture. a better material might be the black plastic from a TV type dinner tray.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:22:47 AM »
top picture base on B.C. cut back 1/4" did the trick