Author Topic: Morko Interpretive Web Site  (Read 1686 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Morko Interpretive Web Site
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
The new Morko Interpretive Web Site is finished and available for viewing.  Many thanks to thelionspaw for his contribution.

Please add comments to this thread.  New information will be considered for addition to the site.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Morko Interpretive Web Site
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »
Good work George , Richard ,and any others who were involved with the project .

My only regret is that I didn't have pics that good and close up to make Morko .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
Terrific job all the way around boys, congrats.
Listen Richard, I can live with the fact that I seem to have become separated from my head, but who in the heck took my danged pants?  :o
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
IMPRESSIVE.
Worthy of inclusion in one of the Stickies (OBVIOUSLY)!
Many thanks for the publication of it!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
The link should go in the References.

That Web page looks very nice and is much better than what we could do here.  It will also be much more visible to others not regular members here. Good Work George.

Richard, it looks like you put some hard work into this, it will be appreciated bay all,  I am sure, Great job!

I am Douglas Dickens and not  Doug Dickens an would appreciate the change.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »
I am Douglas Dickens and not  Doug Dickens and would appreciate the change.

Corrected.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »
Thanks George, you are back on  my Mothers good side...and she has been gone for 5 years.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
My attention was inadvertantly directed to a gross omission on my part.

I neglected to thank Charlotte at the Statens Historika Museum in Stockholm, who allowed Dan to make images of Morko.  I asked Dan for the information that I needed, to upgrade the post. Dan followed through with an E-mail that I fowarded to George, who edited the paragraph as I rewrote it, to squeeze everything in to accommodate Charlotte's inclusion.

George has been absolutely fantastic in his response.  I wrote the entire piece, illustrated it and arranged the copy and images as a document, just as you see it. I then printed it and posted it Priority mail to George.  I have had computer issues. The transmission of the Document proved to be a problem. It worked out in the end though. Norton tends to make things difficult and my computer's modem was replaced today.

RRC
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
I wonder if Dan asked Charlotte out for drinks after they were done at the museum? If I remember the photos accurately, Charlotte was kind of cute. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
Are you saying that was the CAUSE of the heart-attack?   :o ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
Are you saying that was the CAUSE of the heart-attack?   :o ;D

You know I've just been sitting here making up captions to go along with the photo of Dan and Charlotte, and I'll have to admit that even I'm becoming ashamed of myself, it's terrible, my mother would not be proud of me. ::)

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 12:25:34 AM »
no drink , just a lunch while we also had some very interesting discussions
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
no drink , just a lunch while we also had some very interesting discussions

Dan -  Just enjoy it!  Everyone else is jealous!   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
RRC,

I want to make it clear that my comments on this one aspect of your investigation do not reflect my opinion of the whole of your findings, it's just this one comparison that you make that I'm a little skeptical of. I'm assuming that you made the drawing of the Devil/demon, but irregardless of whether you drew it, or found it somewhere, I know your intention is to say that it represents the figure on the Mörkö. Well, I'm going to paraphrase a saying that is sometimes used to criticize researchers: they sometimes find exactly what they're looking for. I think you're reaching a little too far on this call; I've really been studying this Mörkö figure, and I think it could just as reasonably be stated that it represents a crown, or a heron (or other long necked bird) in flight. To me the abstraction of that figure almost recalls an ink blot used on a Rorschach test (and offers the possibility of as many interpretations).

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 05:41:16 AM »
Yo! Professor. 
What did Aristotle have to say about people being deprived of spell check? "IRREGARDLESS".  Wow! My idol has feet of clay. 

I'm going back into hibernation.

Richard "The Disappointed"

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
irregardless?
What's wrong with that?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
irregardless?  What's wrong with that?

It is a "word" of the unwashed masses.  The "proper English" terms are irrespective or regardless.  Try irregardless in a post and note that the spell checker even rejects it.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
My spell checker is part of the unwashed masses.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
I tried to copy a figure ,and I had no clue what it was . But it was "something" not a random "ink blot ".

It has intent behind the graving , I tend to think along a spiritual lines ,Good or Bad  with this thing ...

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »

It is a "word" of the unwashed masses.  The "proper English" terms are irrespective or regardless.  Try irregardless in a post and note that the spell checker even rejects it.

My GBO spell check let it through. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
My GBO spell check let it through.

Interesting as my GBO spell checker underlines it as an error.  This happens when composing, not when actually posting.  It will let anything through if you don't change it yourself.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »

WordNet Search - 3.0 - WordNet home page - Glossary - Help
Word to search for:   
Display Options:   
Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Adverb
•   S: (adv) irregardless (regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously)
WordNet home page

......."unwashed masses" huh! George; you telling me you think I don't wash, because if you is, let me tell you something: I get me a shower at least once every couple of weeks.

BTW, I don't need no stinkin' badges, er, I mean spell checkers! The only spell checker I'd like to have access to is the kind that can reverse one of the "Druidic Hexes" that "His Highness Ricardo" is fond of casting in my direction every so often.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
Just answering the question (about what was wrong with irregardless).  The quotes in my answer were intended to indicate some irreverence regarding both sides.   :D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
And :Pirregardless:P of what you and RC think is correct, Aristotle also said this: "To write well, express yourself like common people, but think like a wise man. Or, think as wise men do, but speak as the common people do."  ;)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
I tried to copy a figure ,and I had no clue what it was . But it was "something" not a random "ink blot ".

It has intent behind the graving , I tend to think along a spiritual lines ,Good or Bad  with this thing ...

Gary

Gary,
I think you may have misread my post; there's no doubt in my mind that the image depicted on this weapon symbolized something meaningful to its maker, and you might be right on the mark in thinking that it meant something sacred or magical. My comparing the image on the gonne with an ink blot was only intended to illustrate that Richard is now claiming to comprehend exactly what that image signified to the person that made it, and I happen to think that an overactive imagination, or wishful thinking may have colored his opinion.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:13 AM »
I have enjoyed Richards ideas and theory's . I am not Catholic so I don't even know the Ava Maria prayer . But I've never been told of the meanings of the symbols as they would relate to Ava Maria .

Rich has 'splianed it' better than anyone else .

I made the Morko with the Ava Maria angle in mind . But figured it would be a crossover piece with Jesus on the gun and an old school Viking flavor to the tiller . Hedging your bets so to speak  ;D

(I am not Catholic but had a St Christopher metal that my dad wore in WWII on my dog tags while in the USMC...better safe than sorry 8)  )

I would like to hear the Ava Maria theroy explianed by a historain ,what and why ?

JMHO Gary

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
I have enjoyed Richards ideas and theory's . I am not Catholic so I don't even know the Ava Maria prayer . But I've never been told of the meanings of the symbols as they would relate to Ava Maria .

Rich has 'splianed it' better than anyone else .

I made the Morko with the Ava Maria angle in mind . But figured it would be a crossover piece with Jesus on the gun and an old school Viking flavor to the tiller . Hedging your bets so to speak  ;D

(I am not Catholic but had a St Christopher metal that my dad wore in WWII on my dog tags while in the USMC...better safe than sorry 8)  )

I would like to hear the Ava Maria theroy explianed by a historain ,what and why ?

JMHO Gary

Gary,
I also enjoyed reading about RC's opinions on this subject, and many other subjects for that matter. Once again, all I was commenting on were the two images that I posted in reply #14; the original image on the Mörkö, and Richard's representation of that image.
I have no knowledge of the script on the Mörkö gonne; whether I said his interpretation was spot on, or way off would mean absolutely nothing, because I have no basis to form an opinion.
The thing that's confusing me about your last post are the refrences to the Ave Maria, I thought Rich's judgement was that there is nothing about the Ave Maria represented on the gonne.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 06:23:18 AM »
Yes Richard says nothing about it , what I am asking is to see the work of those who think it is Ava Maria and Jesus .

Richard therories have shown more research to me than any one claiming it is the Ava Marie prayer

Gary

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:42 AM »
I got to agree here , Richards research makes a lot of sense for me
its been checked now at the historical muse'um in stockholm
so I hope to hear from charlotte what their opinion is soon
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns