Author Topic: How would you go about hiring hard to find teachers?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How would you go about hiring hard to find teachers?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:32 AM »
Tenure protection must vary a lot from state to state. From what I have directly observed in Kansas (the nature of my job has had me work in 17 different school districts so I have been able to observe more than most) is that immoral behavior will have you out of the classroom before the day is over.  Depending upon the infraction it may be with or without pay until the local school board decides your fate. If poor teaching performance is the issue the teacher will be given a period of time (usually about three months) to improve to acceptable standards and will usually be given some coaching and clear performance goals. Depending upon performance and the time of the school year, if the teacher does not improve they will either be fired or their contract will not be renewed for the next year.   
GuzziJohn

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 05:18:58 AM »
Well, WEAC is one of if not the most powerful teachers union in the country (or I should say was, Hhaaaa!).  And one of the biggest reasons it had to come to this...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:08 AM »
What about administrators?  How a school runs depends a lot on the principal.  If a principal is not on top of things in their building, teachers can get very lax.  You don't hear much about them in the news.  If you had a good principal, believe me, the bad teachers would leave or be due processed out of the system.   Teachers in unions CAN be fired.  It just takes longer.

Offline Forestclimber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 06:17:13 AM »
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to teach K-8, but there a definite skills that are needed and can't be taught in a college classroom.  How do you think the kids in high school that are taking advanced classes got there?  Sure they are smart kids.  There are also a lot of smart kids that quit school.  I hate to think how many potential engineers are flipping burgers.

Offline Forestclimber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:38 AM »
I recently retired after 35 years in the sixth grade.  I beat Jethro's record by a mile!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 06:28:58 AM »
  I hate to think how many potential engineers are flipping burgers.

I can think of a bunch.........
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member