Author Topic: Experience w/ scope brands  (Read 2054 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Experience w/ scope brands
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:57:05 PM »
I am looking at a Nikon Prostaff w/ Mil-dot, and Bushnell Trophy XLT with a DOA reticle. I really like the DOA reticle, but the Nikon has a longer list of good reviews. What is your first hand experience with the durability, performance and customer service/ warranty on these brands ? I respect your opinions, and that you won't tell me to get a Zeiss...... ::)
remember the starfish

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Experience w/ scope brands
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:07 AM »
The Nikon probably has more reviews because the Bushnell model only came out last year.

Between those two I would say that its a tossup.  If you can spend a bit more $$ and get into the next level up in each line (Buckmasters for Nikon and Elite 3200 for Bushnell) the difference is pretty notable.  Once you're in that price range, Vortex Diamondbacks and a few other brands are worth considering.

Offline pl270

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:51 AM »
I have a Nikon Prostaff and a Bushnell trophy but without the mil-dot and Doa reticle. I paid about the same price for them. I think I like the Nikon alittle more, but there is not much difference. I have another trophey that came with one of the turrets that was tightened down and I couldn't turn it. Finally got it to turn with a small wrench. I'm going to mount it on a rifle and see if it will adjust. If not I will send it back.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
And then there's this;
http://www.opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

I'm swinging towards the Vortex with their BDC, I like the clearity of the Bushnell, and the fine retical with the DOA,, but thats alot of stuff in the field view and I'm not sure I want all that.

I'm looking at scopes not specifically in the posted review, as in 50mm objective lens, but I expect the same kind of isses covered will be kinda the same. Trouble is I can't find a Vortex to put my hands on and look through, I'm going to a good size show this weekend and hope to find one
found elsewhere

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
I wouldn't buy an off brand.  The Nikon Prostaff is a great scope.  I've never had a single issue with a Bushnell or a Nikon.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
I wouldnt call vortex an off brand. There probably one of the fastest growing optics companys out there and everything ive tried or bought from them is top shelf stuff and you will NEVER find an optics company that stands behind there products as well as they do.
blue lives matter

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
Went to order a Bushnell scope, and the one I wanted, was out of stock. So, I looked at several different catalogs, and found a real close replacement made by Millet. When I called the 800 number, to confirm what hight base I would need, the operator answered Bushnell. I looked at the 'puter screen, to make sure I had dialed the right number. When I was sure, I asked the operator, what the story was. She laughed and said, we're all one in the same. So much for brand loyalty. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline godale

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
i almost bought a prostaff but the lack of a ao discouraged me. so i looked at the buckmaster line was going to get that but the 3200 elites were on closeout and 25.00 cheaper on nearly the same size. i am thinking about builing a set up next year and buying a 4x12x40 prostaff

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
My Prostaffs have adjustable objectives.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
I wouldnt call vortex an off brand. ,,
,,and you will NEVER find an optics company that stands behind there products as well as they do.

It's interesting that the address to send a Vortex in for service (if needed) is the same adress and contact as the one for Weaver.
I just had my olde Weaver K-4 serviced,  fine repair and quick turn-over, and it was sent to that very address in Wisconsin.
I really want to lay my hands on a Vortex before I purchase, I want to SEE the retical.
found elsewhere

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
I want to SEE the retical.
Which reticule are you curious about?

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
The Vortex Diamondback  Dead-Hold BDC, I'm looking at the 3.5-10 50MM and I just want to be sure the primary retical is as fine as the Bushnell and higher end Nikons. I've found it liitle good to have a rifle that shoots sub moa at 200 and have it scoped with a retical that covers 4"s at 200! Know what I mean? That's what turns me off about the Redfield

Most or many of the extra stuff on a retical is about sizing game at a distance, like the bushnell DOA, Mil radiant IS about rangefinding but many don't understand that Mildot in the first focal plane only works on one setting with most scopes, then they need to know what their target size is and how it fills the spaces, il dot isn't about having another aiming point.
I'm actually pretty good judging distance out to 300 or so, the limit of my hunting shooting, I'd just like to have some marks on the retical as referance without alot of clutter

I know a gent with a Razor, that has the EBR-2B MRAD retical (NICE) but that scope is way out of my range.
found elsewhere

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:43 AM »
I just had my olde Weaver K-4 serviced,  fine repair and quick turn-over,

Was that an El Paso Weaver?  I have 2 I want refurbished.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline godale

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
i thought you had to tear the prostaff apart to adjust the lenses?

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Aluminum get shipped to Wisc, an steel tubes end up going overseas I think Japan.
So it as easy as a magnet test to find out what ya got?

The web site states you need a sales reciept, but when I called the toll free the gent on the line told me don't worry, IIRC it was a 15$ fee for repair and back shipping costs.
The repair reciept said a broken adjustment spring, and they did a cleaning, I'm happy.
found elsewhere

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »
The Vortex Diamondback  Dead-Hold BDC, I'm looking at the 3.5-10 50MM and I just want to be sure the primary retical is as fine as the Bushnell and higher end Nikons. I've found it liitle good to have a rifle that shoots sub moa at 200 and have it scoped with a retical that covers 4"s at 200! Know what I mean? That's what turns me off about the Redfield.
I'll take my Viper 2-7 to the range on Sun and get you a pic.  The reticule is the same.
Mil radiant IS about rangefinding but many don't understand that Mildot in the first focal plane only works on one setting with most scopes, then they need to know what their target size is and how it fills the spaces, il dot isn't about having another aiming point.
Actually the mil-dot reticule was originally brought about to allow a sniper and his spotter to have a common reference for target talk-ons and for calling corrections, if needed.  The ranging use was figured out later.  I also think you're talking about a second focal plane reticule.  The FFP reticule is correct at every magnification.  As long as you know the magnification at which the SFP reticule is correct, you can use it to accurately range at other magnifications by applying a multiplier.  Bushnell, for example makes the reticule scaling correct at the midpoint of the zoom.  At min mag, the reticule represents 2x what it normally would and at max mag 1/2X.  Simple math.  Finally, mil-dot reticules are extremely flexible.  If you need to take a shot and don't have time to dial range, you can certainly use the dots as a holdover reference.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 01:33:11 AM »
"I also think you're talking about a second focal plane reticule.  The FFP reticule is correct at every magnification.  As long as you know the magnification at which the SFP reticule is correct, you can use it to accurately range at other magnifications by applying a multiplier."

Thank you for the correction helotaxi, your right,  :-[
found elsewhere

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 02:19:19 AM »
Keep in mind you can't get your money back out of an off brand scope.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Vortex is hardly an "off brand" regardless of what you think.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
I've never seen one for sale in a Gun Shop, Dept Store, or Gun Show.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
I've never seen one for sale in a Gun Shop, Dept Store, or Gun Show.
I've never seen a Sightron, US Optics, Premier or Schmidt & Bender for sale in any of those places either...those "off brands" too?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »
I've seen all of those in stores and at gun shots.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »
local car dealers dont handle porches or ferraris either but that sure doesnt make them off brand. I would say that in the case of vortex its more accurate to call them a newer company that hasnt had much exposure yet then call them an off brand. Ive talked to there owners and they cant keep up to demand right now theres selling so well. I think there going to be around for a long time to come. Better chance right now that tascos, pentex,  nikons and other jap scopes are going to become hard to come by with all the crap over there. Best buy any jap optics and electronic gear while you can because id bet it drys up and gets much more expensive. Even if it doesnt get more expensive with the power grid problems and shortages there id bet you dont see anymore exported for a good long time.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 04:14:28 AM »
Then I'll buy used Leupolds....

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »

What do you mean don't get your money back out of an off brand scope? Please elaborate.

That being said, I bought a new Bushnell Elite 3200 a few years back, that was maxed out on up down adjustment straight out of the box and broken. Guess what, I had to pay Bushnell to fix the darn thing. Granted it was just S&H, but I couldn't return it and get my money back either.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »
I sell my used scopes on ebay.  The off brands bring almost nothing.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
I sell my used scopes on ebay.  The off brands bring almost nothing.
Any scope worth owning in the first place is worth keeping.  I've never based any product purchase decision on expected resale value.  I'm buying as a consumer, not investing for my kid's college or my retirement.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
I never buy anything without the thought of turning a profit on it.  It keeps me shooting for free.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 01:33:00 AM »
I surely dont buy gun related stuff thinking on making a profit. As a matter of fact i think maybe twice in my life i actually made money on a gun deal. I do though steer away from brands that i know im going to take a hit on when reselling. I buy my guns with the intention of keeping them and my scopes too but my tastes change through the years. I may be hot on bolt guns this year and next year it may be sixguns and with my limited income it sometimes nessistates selling or trading and if i trade say a rem 700 and it has some off brand scope on it the scope is usually consider worthless. If it has a leupold or nikon or another quality well known named scope i at least recoup some of the money i spent on the thing.
blue lives matter