Author Topic: Rechambering a 17Mach2 barrel and putting it on a Handi-Rifle Frame?  (Read 697 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  Found a NIB 17Mach2 with an incredible trigger for $99...  Was wondering if that barrel could be rechambered into a 17 caliber centerfire and used on a Handi-rifle frame?  Couldn't find the twist rate for the Mach2 in the FAQ'a....any idea what it is?

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Rechambering a 17Mach2 barrel and putting it on a Handi-Rifle Frame?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
It is a 1 in 9 twist, I hve re-chambered a bunch to 17 Fire Ball and one to a 17 Remington.  They work and shoot very well.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
Thanks Larry!  Called the shop and put my name on it!  What is the ballpark figure on the rechamber?

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
You do have to add a .223 ejector and a lifter button, but it is dead easy to do.  If you were close we could do it in 2 hours.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
Thanks Larry!  I might just try to hit you up on that in a few months...  Maybe a NEF mannlicher forearm for your trouble?  :D

Jim

- Albert Einstein

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:14 AM »
 :)

Offline twhrider2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
Dakota this is pretty much what I am doing now. Had a .17 HMR rechambered to .17 ackley hornet. Dies should be in any day now and looking forward to see how she does.  Ken

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
Dakota this is pretty much what I am doing now. Had a .17 HMR rechambered to .17 ackley hornet. Dies should be in any day now and looking forward to see how she does.  Ken

Ken, would you mind keeping me posted on how this turns out for you?  That's another one of the cartridges I was seriously looking at...until I saw the price of the dies!

Jim

- Albert Einstein

Offline twhrider2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »
Hey Dakota, I will be giving an update when I can. I am with ya on the dies (ouch!) but feel like redding are the best route. My project is a barrel I purchased at a show mounted to a BC frame and stock set I got from a member here. Polished the barrel and slooow rust blued it, stripped stocks and did an oil finish,( thinking about an 1885 style trigger guard whataya think?) mounted scope today and waiting for dies. Larry( trotterlg)  seems to have had good luck with these conversions so looking forward to results. Ken   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
CH4D will make a set for $81.38.  ;)

Tim

http://www.ch4d.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain