Author Topic: A great place to see cannon  (Read 673 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
A great place to see cannon
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:25 AM »
First I don't build or shoot cannon ( never really had a chance to) but I live in a cannon rich area . If you have time and are near I would suggest anyone into cannon come to Va. You can start in Yorktown , check out around Richmond , Buckingham Courthouse has 2 brass guns on the side of the road , and the Army museums at different bases . These are but a few places as it would be hard to drive 50 miles in any direction and not run across a big gun in some form or fashion . Alot of VFV's have some type gun or more out front as do alot of courthouses. Battlefields are to many to name all .
 Just passing along for those interested .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: A great place to see cannon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »
Yes Virginia dose have it's fair share or cannon other places are the Washington Navy yard,
and the Virginia Military Institute has quite a few early cannon
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
And Fredricksburg , Petersburg ..........

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
First I don't build or shoot cannon ( never really had a chance to) but I live in a cannon rich area . If you have time and are near I would suggest anyone into cannon come to Va. You can start in Yorktown , check out around Richmond , Buckingham Courthouse has 2 brass guns on the side of the road , and the Army museums at different bases . These are but a few places as it would be hard to drive 50 miles in any direction and not run across a big gun in some form or fashion . Alot of VFV's have some type gun or more out front as do alot of courthouses. Battlefields are to many to name all .

SHOOTALL -

Thanks, I agree we in the Commonwealth are blessed with many cannons. 

If you could shoot a cannon, what would it be?  Maybe we can arrange it!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
Here's a few from Yorktown. I took these before I was fully addicted to cannons, so I don't know what sizes they are. One day I'll have to swing by and make a more thorough tour. I only drive past twice a week.  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
Good photos, Jeff! I haven't been there yet, but if I do get to Yorktown I'm going to spend more than a little time photographing many of these vertically displayed British artillery barrels at Surrender Field.

flickr from YAHOO!  photos by jimbeau

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

SHOOTALL -

Thanks, I agree we in the Commonwealth are blessed with many cannons. 

If you could shoot a cannon, what would it be?  Maybe we can arrange it!

I guess a front stuffer since my great grand father was on a crew for one in the Civil War . Got his name on a monument at Hanover Court House.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
  Hey   if anyone needs better photos of certain guns or measurements, of guns at yorktown.  i will be more then happy to do so for free.  I live 15 mins from the battle field,  and i need a good excuse to drive over there.     my favorite gun there is the long 32 lb gun up by the victory center. 

just let me know.

rick bryan

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
Rick,
This is going to make me sound easy to please, but the truth is that if you take pictures of whatever you happen to fancy at Yorktown I'd be happy to look at them. There are incredible British bronze mortars, large howitzers and fine cannon mounted on carriages, any detailed photos of those many bronze howitzers that are mounted vertically on the wall in the pic I posted (I've got to get there someday).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »
Im also easy to please ,
just 10-15 good pictures of each of them would be fine for me  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry