Author Topic: Barrel Fit  (Read 437 times)

Offline tiger yat

• Trade Count: (1)
Barrel Fit
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:15:49 AM »
I have a 12ga barrell that fits perfectly on my son's 45-70, but on my 44mag frame not so much.  On the 44 it has a slight gap toward the top of the barrell/breach interface that is loose on 1 crisp dollar bill but very snug on 2 dollars. (I moved and could not find my feeler gauge.)  It does lock up well and the latch seems evenly engaged.
Can it be used on both frames?  If I fit it to mine, it will probably not fit the 45-70 any longer, correct?  What is the danger or performance issue with a less than perfect fit of a shotgun barrell on the 44 frame? (stuck shells, total malfunction etc?)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Barrel Fit
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
Speaking as someone who has never blown a gun up, my first reaction is to say don't try it.  But on the other hand we are talking about low pressures ( compared to .44 mag) Chamber a round and with a bright light look to see how much brass shows.  Then place a straight edge (ruler) on the receiver (standing breech) and see how much of an angle the barrel droops.  Odds are something needs to be relieved to get the barrel to fully lock up.  Personally I would guess that making it work in the .44 wouldn't affect it's fit on the other frame.  Keep in mind this is only a guess and I have never had to make one fit.

If you believe it is safe to shoot, but want to verify, tape a Kleenex over the gap, and fire the gun with a string from a distance.  The Kleenex will be intact if nothing is wrong.  If the Kleenex is even lightly charred, do not put your face or hands near this gap when shooting.  In other words, don't shoot it. 

I am sure someone has done this before, and I have seen something in the sticky posts about barrel fitting.  So check there while you wait for more knowledge to arrive.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel Fit
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
Tiger, everything you need to know about fitting your own barrel is in the FAQs barrel fitting link, it's up to you if you want to try it knowing it doesn't fit well, it may work fine as it is, but it's certainly not ideal, worse case scenario is it will pop open and the spent hull may hit you in the forehead.  :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain