Author Topic: trimming straight-wall handgun cases ?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
trimming straight-wall handgun cases ?
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
I've read many threads where the poster says " I've never trimmed straight walled cases ..etc,etc ".   ..For years I've loaded 357 for numerous different revolvers, in the earlier days, my load consisted of a healthy dose 2400 under a 158 gr jacketed bullet.  The cases did grow....if ya don't trim them, how do you keep a consistent crimp ?  Seems to me it was like every 4 or 5 loading I had to trim them.  Now , granted much of my brass was the nickel or silver type brass...I've been told its more brittle than the standard brass.  Now days I don't trim near as much....if any.  Most of my loads are bullseye under a 125 cast bullet, that I believe has made the difference.  Just wondering if its fair to a "new" reloader to say "I've never trimmed straight walled cases".....any thoughts ?

regards, irold

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: trimming straight-wall handgun cases ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »
I won't say that I've "never" trimmed them.  I usually trim them when new, once.  From there I keep my brass grouped in lots of 100 that all get loaded the same.  Makes for a consistent crimp and since they stay together, the growth, if any, should be the same and the consistency the same as well.  With a properly headspaced revolver, the case shouldn't grow.

For auto pistol brass that headspaces on the case mouth, I've never even though about trimming it.

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
Hey , helotaxi    ,  Ok, I'll buy that.  If your mic'ing your brass , how much variance in thousands would you say is acceptable ?  When I check for length , if my brass is .003-.004 off from case to case, I trim.  Am I being too fussy ?  thanks, irold

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »
It's all in what one wants from their shooting/loading.  If one wants to keep things "loose" and not concerned about super accuracy etc, then they could probably let it go.  I think as a loader gets more experience, he or she can decide for themselves exactly what they want.  Therefore, it's probably NOT a good idea to tell people that they don't have to trim cases.

By the way, I agree that the crimp will differ if the case lengths are not kept consistent. 

As far as continually trimming goes; I have found that older brass just doesn't seem to expand as much as new unfired and one time fired brass.  The older brass never seems to need as much trimming.
Just my observation.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
Hey , helotaxi    ,  Ok, I'll buy that.  If your mic'ing your brass , how much variance in thousands would you say is acceptable ?  When I check for length , if my brass is .003-.004 off from case to case, I trim.  Am I being too fussy ?  thanks, irold
I don't measure it usually after the initial trim.  If I did, I might find variance and I might get all OCD over it and start trimming.  Then I might start wondering about the rest of my brass and start measuring that, not liking what I find and start trimming, and it just becomes a self-feeding spiral.

Rifle brass is a totally different story, but straight-walled handgun brass...I don't load it hot other than a few hundred rounds of JHPs for serious uses and my ammo is more accurate than I am as it is, so I don't feel the need to obsess about a couple thousandths.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »
I think the slower the powder you use, the more important the consistency of the crimp is, so the more important case length consistency is.
My light target loads in .357 do very well at 25 yards with untrimmed brass, even though I can feel the different case lengths as I crimp.
They say the profile crimp for revolvers is less sensitive to case length than a traditional roll crimp.

With autos I don't trim or even measure any more.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
I have found that if you shoot more or less medium power loads  you seldom need to trim straight wall pistol brass. But if you load max loads, I have found that after a few loadings the brass does tend to grow a bit long and need trimming.

What I'm wondering is how many max loads a piece of brass will take before it fails? or shows sign that it needs to be discarded?

cybin

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
Seems to me I use to get a couple dozen loadings before some would crack around the neck.....at that time all I had was plain dies , I catch the cracked case as i was wiping the lube from the cases.  How times change , now I use carbide dies and if i do lube i use the spray "one shot" ( I think its called ) from Hornady.  Also , if one cracked , I generally threw the lot of 50 away.......just me , maybe I wasted some brass ??   At that time I was using a lot of the silver or nickel cases too , they seemed to crack more than regular brass.  Or perhaps I was belling them a smidgen too much.........

regards , irold

Offline rockshooter

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
Rather than say yay or nay to a beginning reloader, I probably say "Here's a handful of Lee trimmers- if you like them, keep them."
Loren

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
I did it once, to some of my .44 cases, when I was just out of the hospital from surgery and extremely bored...

I've gotten better since.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline jimster

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
When I get new brass I will run them through the sizer first and then trim them to make them all the same. Sometimes new brass is not even cut straight to begin with. Some might even be shorter than the min length already, I will sort these out for reloading and call them my "shorties".  It doesn't take all that long to measure and sort them and trim them.  My main thing is I want the crimp operation to be the same on any batch I'm loading up, and that works only if your cases are the same and not cut crooked. I always figured the crimp operation was pretty important for accuracy out of my revolvers. Once you trim them to min length, it's a real long time before you need to trim a batch again, if they last long enough to make to max length. 

Offline hillbill

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »
just curious, i hate trimming cases, i seat the bullet and crimp in seperate operations.i use feel to crimp and it seems to work for me but im sure its not the most precise way.do you guys seat the bullet and crimp in the same operation?

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »
do you guys seat the bullet and crimp in the same operation?
Separate steps.  Lee FCD in station 4 of the 550 takes care of the .38/357 and 45 Colt.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
just curious, i hate trimming cases, i seat the bullet and crimp in seperate operations.i use feel to crimp and it seems to work for me but im sure its not the most precise way.do you guys seat the bullet and crimp in the same operation?

It all depends on the caliber. .223, and 7mm mag.--I use a a Lee FCD--9mm,.380..38special,.357, and .41 mag.--I seat and use the roll crimp that is built into the die. I use a Lee FCD for 45acp after seating.

cybin

Offline jimster

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »

Seperate steps.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
on the crimping, I use seperate steps.

With all straight wall revolver cases, I trim when I can't get the overall length I want.  I have two batches of .44 mag brass that are 12 years old, each has been fired 17 times :D and each trimmed 3 times.  I load mid-level and near max loads (never over) and only partially resize.  Neck splits are rare, I usually discard brass when the primer pockets get loose
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
I say trim un if you want to. If not, then don't worry about it. In 45+ years of reloading, I've never trimmed a straight walled pistol case.  Maybe if I shot Bullseye on a master level, I might consider trimming cases as part of my loading regiment, otherwise IMO, it's a waste of my time.  If anyone trims all their straight wall pistol cases, they're spending way to much time reloading and not enough time shooting.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rockshooter

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 06:27:09 PM »
But-but-but Mr. Savage! The only reason I shoot is to empty cases to reload! Mebbe your emphasis is wrong! (I don't bother trimming cases either.)
Loren

Offline keith44

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
rockshooter may have something there.  The most likely reason for me to shoot is to see how a load can be improved, and there by make empty cases to reload.

So what happens when I find the perfect load??  Ya know the one, no recoil, 450 grain bullet, at 5,500 fps and shoots one inch groups at 10,000 yards?  ;D
Life member NRA

Offline rockshooter

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »
The perfect load is the perfect excuse for another weapon- start all over!
Loren

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »
My perfect pistol load is:
Reliable
Inexpensive
Accurate (Stays in the "A" zone at 25yds)
Almost any thing you can throw together in a straight walled pistol case (Untrimmed) will meet the above criteria. Currently I'm using Missouri Cast Bullets, Wolf Primers, and Promo power to load my "Perfect"  ;) :) pistol load.
Savage

Offline keith44

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
How do you like the wolf primers??  I bought 1,000 of the small pistol for .38 spcl, and .22 K-Hornet.  So far the ones I've used in .38 spcl have worked well and seem to be consistent enough.
Keith44
Life member NRA

Offline rockshooter

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
I've been using Wolf small pistol primers for years. Other than being a tight fit sometimes, they seem to work just fine.
Savage- looking at your avatar- I just loaded up a box of .38Sp with 172gr 358429 to try in my mod 60 2"- that should be interesting! At least a little different than the normal 148gr HBWC!!
Loren

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
Keith,  to date I've used about 6k Wolf SP primers in .40 and 9mm. I've had maybe 3 misfires. Those might have been high primers. Otherwise no problems.
rockshooter, I have played with heavy bullets in .38spl with satisfying results. In some revolvers you may run into OAL problems with anything heavier than the 180gr. I like the heavier bullets in the snubbies for defensive applications.
Savage

Offline keith44

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
Thanks, glad to have the opinions of others actually using the products
Life member NRA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Wow I can't believe this thread is still going strong.

I've been reloading around 45 years and have never ever trimmed a straight wall handgun case. I did compete for many years and won a pile of trophies, plaques and money. I have .44 magnum cases I've been loading with a max charge of 2400 and W296 for at least thirty years and have never trimmed one of them. Those cases likely have been loaded close to a hundred times each. They are still working fine and still haven't been trimmed.

On the question of semiautos vs revolvers I'd think the semiauto would be more likely to need trimming than for a revolver as they headspace on the case mouth. Still I've just never seen my straight wall cases grow to the point of needing trimming even with max loads. Now I don't load over max as some do but I've loaded more .357 and .44 magnums to the max by far than I've loaded lighter.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »
About the only thing I bother even checking is bottle neck rifle rounds.  I have my Dad's old case trimmer setup.  It's about 40 years old now and still good as new.......

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 05:06:10 AM »
OK, what I end up writing here may be a little contradictory to what I have written in previous posts so please bear with me.
Every time I get to my loading bench, I think of this thread and with that, I took specific note of some issues having to do with trimming.  Here is my first case scenario for brass trimming:

Last week I began loading 454 Casull rounds for my very first time.  I was loading new Star Line brass and typically, before I load anything with newly purchased brass, I always resize and trim my brass.  However, this time, I did not have the proper trimming tools available for this caliber so I let the trimming go.  What I did do was measure the brass and found all of it to be under the trim length as listed in my Lyman manual, so I figured things would be OK.  What I didn't like, however, was that the new brass, before and after resizing, was not very uniform in length.  Consequently, I had a tough time seating and crimping bullets consistently. 

In this case, when loading new brass for the first time, I would recommend trimming the brass or at least measuring the brass to determine if it is of a consistent length.

2nd scenario:
Like Greybeard mentioned about his .44 brass, I too have a large quantity of 45 Colt brass, only mine is nickel plated.  I acquired this brass many, many years ago; roughly 1990.  I have loaded it all consistently with heavy sided Thompson Contender loads and all of the brass has more than likely been loaded a minimum of ten times, if not twenty times over.  Now, I cannot recall how things were when I first bought the brass nor how the brass was after a single firing but I can tell you that whenever I shoot this brass, it hardly ever needs trimming.  In fact, last night I trimmed 150 of them and found that only 10 or 12 were trimmed to length and what was trimmed was barely a tiny shard of brass.  Basically, I believe that this brass has been stretched to all it will ever be and therefore probably will never ever need trimming.  The only good thing that came from my wasting time trimming it was that I was able to find four or five cases that had minor cracks in them.

3rd scenario:
Last night, I also trimmed 170 rounds of range pick ups (assuming once fired) 38 special brass.  Overall, I would say that 40% of the cases required a minimal amount of trimming.  The brass I had picked up is a mixed lot.  I paid close attention to which types and brand of brass required trimming.  As it turns out, all brass that was trimmed was either (+P) brass or standard 38 spl with Winchester being the manufacture.  Keep in mind that most of the (+P) brass was also Winchester brass.  What this tells me is that either Winchester loads heavy or their brass is thinner than other brands and therefore will stretch on the first firing and require trimming if one wants perfect length brass when loading.  (I think the Win brass is just thinner) Of all of the brass, only a few needed a lot of trimming.  Most was just small shavings. 
So, in summary for scenario #3, I would say that it might be a good idea to trim once fired brass if you're picky about this kind of thing. 

Overall, I tend to agree with those of you that say it is not needed to trim straight walled cases for pistols or revolvers, provided it's not new brass or once fired brass.  Anything after once fired will never need trimming.  However, I will still check my 45 ACP's and 30 Carbines (which is tapered walled) before feeding them into my Blackhawks.  In this case, the cartridge seats on the headspace and is crucial to fitting in the window of the revolver.  Ironically, it doesn't seem to matter when loading a 45 round into an auto pistol, however.

I hope this info helps shed light upon the question on this thread.  Thanks to the question brought about, I will now be saving hours upon hours of time at my loading bench by NOT TRIMMING my straight walled handgun cases. 
Now I wonder, do I need to trim my straight walled rifle cartridges (45-70, 38-55) ???? ???

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
Interesting info ,  the theory about the Win. brass being thin may have merit.  I just read another thread where the poster was inquiring about sticky extraction in a revolver. He apparently was only having problems with the Win brass.....maybe thin , showing signs of excessive pressure before the Federal or Star ??  Back to the question..........I still wonder about the inconsistency of length of the brass when crimping ?  I'm afraid of getting excessive crimps on the long brass and not enough or light crimps on the short stuff. Several calibers I load for claim to need a " heavy crimp".  ( 357 max , 454 )  Now the question , how much variance do we allow between short brass and long brass ?  2-4 thousandths ?  I'm gaining a lot of info from my original question , appreciate the feedback.

regards , irold

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
I got out the Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer, put a 38 Spc case in the shell holder, mated up the centering chamfering pilot, and the case just spun in the shell holder.  I called RCBS today and the beveled washers (all 6) are on their way under warranty and at no cost to me.

With nothing else to do at the time, I mic'd 300+ cases and separated them into 5 distinct piles that were grouped 0.005" apart (1.135", 1.140", 1.145", 1.150", and 1.155").  The total range of "out of sync" was 0.020"  That is a total of 20 thousandths of an inch for a "statistically significant" population of cases.  Measure 0.020" on your micrometer and it is NOT MUCH.

Without trimming, the average case length can be determined quickly and set on the bullet seating/crimping die, which will roll crimp straight walled cases that headspace on the rim in a bell shaped distribution in close proximity to the average length.  Those cases above and below the average by one standard deviation will receive "about the same" crimp as the average and the degree of crimp will be more or less than average the further the case is from one standard deviation.

In English
IMO, case trimming straight walled pistol cases is a waste of time for single shot rifles and semi-automatics.  Case trimming is argumentatively "needed" only for the most aggressive revolvers, and I am not so sure trimming is needed for these either.