Author Topic: Hyphenated American  (Read 368 times)

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
Hyphenated American
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:45:53 AM »
It makes me sick we have hyphenated Americans. To me you are American first and foremost. If you can trace your heritage back to somewhere else great. Then you would be an American with whatever heritage. A congressman today used the term Muslim American. Now there is another distinction. So I think everyone else should demand equal treatment. Baptist American, Methodist American, Honest American (not being in politics) Lying American (being in politics) maybe we should go for things like Hetrosexaul American of course that might lead to Married American or Single American, maybe even Married but Looking American. Where does this garbage end. The term is American not with hyphens and crap. Yes in America we are a diverse bunch, not everybody looks the same or attends the same church but what do those have to do with being an American.

Offline Pat/Rick

Re: Hyphenated American
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
Armed-American.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
You've now chosen a subject on which I believe we agree whole-heartedly.  {couldn't help but use the unnecessary hyphen ::)}  No such thing as a hyphenated American no matter who you are.  Nor do I believe in dual citizenship.  Wake up and make a choice that will show where your loyaltys really lie.  I have relatives from England, Scotland, Germany and probably some others.  Don't mean nuthin to me or anyone else.  I'm AMERICAN through and through.and well armed.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »
The - American is all part of the Democrat play book.
Split everyone into groups.  Pit one group against the others.
Make everyone into a victom. 
Grow Government to take care of your problems.
"Oh you are an Italian- American, no one understands the problems the Italian Americans face but me, Ellect me and I will help you" " oh you're a Mexican- American, no one understands the problems of the Mexican - Americans more than me - vote for me and I will solve all your problems"... What's that? You're a Mexican - Mexican and can't vote"  Let me make you a Mexican -American and then you can vote for me"  "why don't you want to be a Mexican- American?" " Well yes you would have to pay taxes if you are a citizen, and yes you would have to learn the language and yes you would have to pay for your health care"  What do you mena you are just here for the work and to take money home to mexico?"  "Will you still vote for me?"

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
Armed-American.
I think the new politically correct term is Constitutional - American

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
Not much for PC. But definently American.  ;)

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:30 AM »
Not much for PC. But definently American.  ;)
My family tree has so many roots in differnt soils not to mention that my mother was adopted.
There would be too many before the hyphan, if I believed in that crud.
Actually that may be too funny to do.
Celtic- German/ Dutch- English- Scandinavian- Adopted?- AMERICAN  (I say Celtic as I ma not sure if we are Scotish as my Grandfather said or Irish and say German and Dutch as a Grand Uncle fought the Germans in WWI and said there was no way he was from them and said Dutch.  I think we were scotich when the signs of Irish need not apply popped up.)
But I think I am an example of the great melting pot of America.
We take a little from every coulture, allow co-mingled histories and traditions to make the greatest society ever created.

Offline gunblade

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
American Mutt  ;D
I'm a native American no Indian blood it's just this is the only place I have ever been a native of.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356