Author Topic: Welfare check  (Read 847 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Welfare check
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
Boom Lover,

Check in!!! You had a Tsunami today and we want to know if you are safe

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Welfare check
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
Yep, You Betcha, we are fine here ;D! We got a call from a friend at Floras Lake, at 3:30 ( :o ) in the Morning, telling us about the Tsunami, then Police, going door to door at 4 am, finally, the Tsunami Warning Siren started wailing at 4:12 am...so...we got the essentials packed up, and headed out. As it turned out, our biggest surge was a 6.1 footer, but the tide was well on it's way out, so it really didn't do anything. Spent a great day with friends that live on Humbug Mt., and then got home about 7:30, or maybe it was 8...Anyhow, thanks for asking, Douglas! Sorry it took so long to read and answer this post, but I was pretty tired, and took a short nap when we got home! LOL...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:27 AM »
We figured you were sucked out to sea and it just took a while to swim back!  ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
Guess it's been more than a few years since I was in your neck of the woods.
I thought that Port Orford was high & dry.

Glad everything is okay.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
Relieved to learn you weren't forced to go surfing against your will, Jim. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
Thanks, Guys! Actually, the dunes on the far side of the Lake are around 18 feet high, and if it had been high tide, and the surge hit, it could have gone over the dunes, or even washed them out! The Lake is 12 feet above sea level, and our house is 15 feet above that. That row of dunes really offer good protection for "small" storm or tidal surges, but we have had sea water come over during storms a number of times, thus the Lake is a bit brackish. If, say, a large tidal surge, during a high tide, were to hit, we might have "Ocean Front Property"! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »
The local paper said the tsunami was only 2.2 feet high when it went past Port Angeles which is only 10 miles west of me. So therefore it probably about the same when it went by me.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
Thanks, Guys! Actually, the dunes on the far side of the Lake are around 18 feet high, and if it had been high tide, and the surge hit, it could have gone over the dunes, or even washed them out! The Lake is 12 feet above sea level, and our house is 15 feet above that. That row of dunes really offer good protection for "small" storm or tidal surges, but we have had sea water come over during storms a number of times, thus the Lake is a bit brackish. If, say, a large tidal surge, during a high tide, were to hit, we might have "Ocean Front Property"! BoomLover

I have watcedh from  Coast Guard Hill, as waves went  over the dune and into the lake.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
I believe it, Douglas! I have been told it has happened while we have lived here, but haven't actually seen it myself...High tide and storms combined will do that...If things can hold steady for a few more years, maybe the dunes will get big enough that that won't happen anymore! Maybe if I quit firing cannons into the dunes, they will quit shrinking...Just Kidding!