Author Topic: 45 Colt - 454 Casull loading dies  (Read 852 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
45 Colt - 454 Casull loading dies
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:49:13 AM »
This may be a stupid question but I'd rather be sure than sorry.
Can 45 Colt dies be used to load 454 Casull ammo?  I realize that the bullet seater has to be adjusted for the longer case.  The way I'm thinking is that this is similar to loading 38's and 357's on the same dies.  Is this correct?

I'm currently using Lee carbide 45 Colt dies by the way.  Thought it is worth mentioning in the case that there are different specifications for different manufacturers. 

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 45 Colt - 454 Casull loading dies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:41:09 AM »
I use colt 45 dies and I put a 1 inch washer under the die for loading 454.  works great.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
My .45 Colt dies are labeled for both.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:25:58 PM »
I use some old forester colt dies.  Sizes, seats and crimps like they were made for it.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
I just bought a set of dies for each. That way there are no questions..
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
This may be a stupid question but I'd rather be sure than sorry.
Can 45 Colt dies be used to load 454 Casull ammo?  I realize that the bullet seater has to be adjusted for the longer case.  The way I'm thinking is that this is similar to loading 38's and 357's on the same dies.  Is this correct?

I'm currently using Lee carbide 45 Colt dies by the way.  Thought it is worth mentioning in the case that there are different specifications for different manufacturers. 

Yes absolutely not problems what so ever.

I started with a 454 Casull before I had a 45 Colt.  I use my RCBS carbide 454 Casull dies for both. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die, since the 454 Casull die will not crimp the shorter 45 Colt cartridge.

yooper77

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
I have a factory crimp die so don't have any worries about seating and roll crimping since I don't roll crimp my 45 Colts as I use the factory crimp die for crimping.  My main concern is the full size resizing of the brass.  If I use a washer as suggested by BigDog, will that not leave that much larger of an unsized area at the base of the cartridge? 

I guess if my sizing die doesn't do the "full" trick, I'll just have to buy a second set of dies. 
I'll post when I get started loading and see what happens.
Thanks guys!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
  My main concern is the full size resizing of the brass.  If I use a washer as suggested by BigDog, will that not leave that much larger of an unsized area at the base of the cartridge? 

I guess if my sizing die doesn't do the "full" trick, I'll just have to buy a second set of dies. 
I'll post when I get started loading and see what happens.
Thanks guys!

The sizer set up properly to touch the shell holder, will FL resize the 454 case same same as any 45 Schofield, 45 S&W or 45 COLT case out there... ;) No adjustments or "washers" necessary.

The "washers" thickness is the difference in thickness between the two case lengths, but its not used under the sizer die. Cause its not needed there. Its used under the flaring die and the seater dies. This way once you adjust them for 45 COLT and NO FURTHER adjustments needed... just place the washer under the die before screwing it in the press!!  KEWL HUH?  ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:20:07 AM »
I have ran into a problem when using 45 LC ONLY dies to size 454 brass , the issue was that the sizer was not cut deep enough and when the die was screwed down to the shell holder it would crush the top of the 454 case .

What I ended up doing was to pick up a 7/8" flat washer that was .100 thick , once the dies were set for the colt and I wanted to load 454 , I would just put the washer under the die as I screwed it into the press .

The very bottom of the 454 case was un-sized but it never made a difference in my gun , if shooting the 454 loads in more that one gun you may just want to break down and buy a set of 454 dies though .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
Well, here is the verdict:
Using my carbide 45 Colt Lee resizing die, I ran a few Star-Line pieces of brass through it and they fit fine; none topped out in the die and resulted in crushed brass near the top of the case, which is what I was afraid of happening.

I flared a case and seated a bullet using the rest of the dies and as one would expect, I needed to adjust the die roughly 1/4" in order to flare and seat correctly.  I may use the washer trick but it's easy enough to adjust the die with my Lee dies so I'll probalby just adjust every time I switch calibers. 

So, in the case there are any other users of both calibers out there; the Lee 45 Colt carbide resizer will work on 454 cases without running the case into the top of the die.

Thanks to you guys for your comments and assitance.  Yes, I could have bought a second set of dies but right now I'm feeling SO GUILTY for spending the money I did on a Super Redhawk (despite getting a good deal) and loading accesories, I thought I'd cut as many costs out as possible.  Not that my wife said anything to me about the purchase, but I just feel I can't even look her in the eye right now.   ::)

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
 Gee, if you feel that bad about it, trade for my Encore.. It's a single shot and you'll save because you won't shoot it as much! ;)
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!