Author Topic: 20 gauge 28" vent rib for turkey  (Read 1221 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
20 gauge 28" vent rib for turkey
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:51:01 AM »
Hey all, just about convinced myself to order a 20 vent rib barrel with screw in chokes. Do any of you have any experience with this barrel for turkey hunting. What kind of patterns can I expect from it and will I need to change the choke tube to something else, if so any recommendations? I will send my dicks sporting goods camo stock bull barrel 308 in for fitting of this barrel. If all works out I see a heavy 20 gauge slugger barrel in the future. Then all I would need is a case to fit all in to make a nice complete package! Thanks and GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 20 gauge 28" vent rib for turkey
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:29:33 AM »
the 20 gauge 28" vent rib would be perfect for turkey hunting, in terms of shells i would take a look at either the hevi 13 7's or 6's or hevi 13 magnum blends, if you want a legit turkey killer then you will need a new turkey choke. if your real serious about it then i would take a look at an indian creek or pure gold turkey choke, both companies are proven and will allow you to change constrictions until you find a pattern you like, they run about $70 a piece but are really really really worth it. next in line would be a kicks gobblin thunder or primos jellyhead or tru glo ssx these run about $40 bucks a piece and are excellent chokes that will give you killing patterns. in my opinion if your gonna use this gun for a long time then invest the money in either a pure gold or an indian creek and you will save yourself a lot of time and hastle looking for a good choke/shell combo. call pure gold or indian creek and they will be more than happy to talk to you about your needs and will get you set up right. i've tested a lot of turkey chokes and shells so if you would like some more info or have any questions pm me, id be glad to help
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:43:56 AM »
Thank for the info. If I do it, I want it right so I will give Indian creek or pure gold a call when needed. I like that swap it till you get it right idea ! THANKS again and GOOD HUNTIN!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 07:50:06 AM »
Is that a standard  h&r full choke or xtra full turkey or another brand choke tube you are using? THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
Neither, Federal recommends an unported full choke with that ammo, I asked them.  ;)

Tim

http://mpcsports.com/precisionhunterwinchester20gauge.aspx

http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?page=interchange_list.htm&&cart_id=406314.43241

Tested the new Federal #7 - 1½oz Flitecontrol ammo in my 20ga TDC today, Federal recommends a full choke, so I ordered a Trulock Precision Hunter full choke, patterns at 40yds were excellent.  ;)

Tim

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=298
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
no problem glad to help, the federal heavyweights are and excellent shell but the come with the stupid flite control wad. the wad is very finicky and needs a unported choke in the full/extra full choke range, traditional turkey choke diameters are too tight and you will get blown patterns, basically what Quick said is true. i tend to stay away from them because they require a different choke than the majority of other shells and i've found that hevi 13 patterns better in a variety of chokes and is less expensive that the federal hvywt, however if you really want to shoot federal hvywt go with the 7's and pure gold just developed a choke called the "tempest" made especially for the flite control shell that is putting up the best numbers with flite control wads.

in terms of hevi 13 i would go with either the hevi 13 3" #7 and then the hevi 13 Mag blends, IMO they are the two best 20ga production shells on the market today, plus hevi 13 has a $5 rebate per box on their website www.hevishot.com, your lookin at about $3 bucks a shell after rebate, and that is a very reasonable price for a premium turkey shell
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
In my 20ga TDC I have an HS strut ported tukey choke and shoot the remmington 3" turkey loads killed a turkey dead at about 36 paces last spring.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:57:32 AM »
Hey all I ordered the barrel Monday. Now just have to wait for it and then figure out a choke and shell to use. Any ideas on what constriction choke ? It comes with a modified.  I would like to use heavy shot of some kind. Thanks and GOOD HUNTIN!!