Author Topic: 7tcu gas checks not staying on  (Read 351 times)

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
7tcu gas checks not staying on
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
I casted up some 7tcu 120gr HP bullets I got the star all set up to lube abd put the gas checke on getting the lube on them was not a problem but the gas checks is a nother story after size and lubeing the bullets I can pull the gas chesks off with out a problem any advise for this problem

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
Re: 7tcu gas checks not staying on
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
I hope more experienced folks will chime in, or you may need to post this on the cast bullets thread.  What brand of gas check are you using? I think older Lyman gas checks normally do come off easy and weren't made to stay on.  Then there is the question of what mold you have as I have read that sometimes a mold may have been cut for a particular brand or thickness of gas check and may not work with all brands of GC.  Currently I believe Hornady makes their own and Lyman branded checks.  There may be some smaller brands out there these days.

HTH
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline D Crockett

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:40:51 AM »
guess I should of told you I have lyman moulds that both of the bullet designs were cast out of a friend of mine dad gave me some gas cbecks I don't know what kind they are while I was waiting on mine to come in which they did yesterday I have some Horanady that I am going to try today I will post and let you know if they work or not D Crockett

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »
 Also mike the gas check area of the cast bullet. Compare this to the inside diameter of the "slippery" checks. If the base of the bullet is to small even Hornady "crimp" on checks may not hold. When casting GC style bullets it is VERY important that you get well filled out bases. This may require a change in casting technique. Either a hotter pour temp or even waiting a bit for the sprue to harden a bit more. Pouring a bit MORE lead onto the sprue plate can allow the cavity to "draw" more lead in as it cools also helps.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
I think older Lyman gas checks normally do come off easy and weren't made to stay on.

I strongly disagree with that statement.

Once upon a long time ago most of us used Lyman molds and Lyman gas checks cuz that's what was available and they worked together beautifully. They fit snugly and didn't come off easily. I've picked up thousands of gas checked bullets down range after hitting dirt banks and most times the old GCs were still on them.

Fast forward a bunch of years and everybody and their brother began making molds and Hornady got into the gas check business and made them differently than the Lyman checks. Lyman checks properly fit the base and filled up the entire cut for the GC. Hornady checks never have they have always been too short for the GC cut on most everyone's molds.

These days only Hornady makes checks as they are making the checks now sold under the Lyman name or so I have read tho I have no hard proof of that. I do know the more recently purchased Lyman checks are far different than what I was using 40 years ago and they don't work as well.

Now to address why your checks might be loose. If the base doesn't fill out completely the check is very likely to be loose and might fall off on its own or be pulled off if you try. Still IF yeah a BIG IF they stay on until seated they almost assuredly will stay on down the barrel and if they do that then they have done the job they are supposed to do. If you're shooting at long range and by that I mean over 250 yards it might open your groups to have some with and some without checks flying down range but personally I've never been able to see flyers whether the checks stayed on or came off once out of the barrel.

It could also be that your lube sizer just isn't squeezing the base of the bullet enough to lock it on. Perhaps the sizer die is a bit larger than the checks you have and the die you are using require for a tight fit.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!