Author Topic: FTF issue  (Read 887 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
FTF issue
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
Hi All,

FTF issue with my BC 45-120.  Problem appears to be with only my Norma 45-120 brass.  Average rim thickness on this stuff is about .060" and I get FTFs with both Rem and CCI mag LR primers.  If I use Larry's method and fire a primed and unloaded case the primer on the Norma brass backouts out of the primer pocket by 0.011".  I also have some RCBS 45 Basic brass (thanks gcrank1!) that has a rim thickness of 0.068" and have no FTFs with this brass.  Also I chambered a bunch of 45-70 brass with these primers and they all go bang.  Rim thickness on the 45-70 brass around 0.066".   

I removed enough material from the face of the ejector so that the ejector spring keeps the Norma brass againist the receiver.  FTFs do not go away.  I have .06" of F pin protrusion and verified the hammer is not making an early strike on the frame.  I have wolff extra power hammer springs on the way to see if this will elimate the FTFs with the Norma brass.  If it doesn't then what?  If I modify the extractor or rim cut to properly headspace the Norma brass then the RCBS brass will not chamber correctly.  Any ideas on modifying the rim of the Norma brass?

thanks in advance

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: FTF issue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
Will your chamber throat allow you to seat the bullet out a bit into the rifling to help keep the back end closer to the standing breech? Maybe that in concert with your ejector mod. will get you enough strike force.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
try the simple solution don't use norma brass.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
BB,
I have been through the same issue with a 357max that I may have cut the rim to deep rechambering it.  Had about .012 headspace from the brass to barrel face, this did not include space when closed which would be more.  Filed the hammer face, wolf spring, shimmed the extractor (and filed) out to hold the brass against the breech.  This last solution worked until the extractor broke from being pounded on.
My primers were swelling outward and started to get some pierced.  So this last week, I decided to bite the bullet and put the barrel on another frame I had.  It would not lock up on this frame and had clearance at the top of the barrel so I knew it was to long.  Carefully filed the barrel face (which was removing the headspace) until I got a super tight fit.  It will lock up on .0005, I am still slowly stoning the barrel catch shelf.  It is still occasionally popping open. 
But now, I have shot it probably 30 rds. and primers look good and NO FTF'S.  Before I would have had 3 out of 10 FTF's.
However, your mileage with the other solutions may vary.  I would try the wolf spring and any other good idea before going my route.  This has been a long process.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »
try the simple solution don't use norma brass.

torpedo

I would buy more of the RCBS 45 Basic but I don't think it is available.   Anybody have some of the Jamison 45-120 brass and can measure the rim thickness?

revbc,

I thought about changing the barrel to another frame but it is currently on a case hardened BC frame and as perfect lockup.  I have been shooting 45-120 NE loads (fairly high pressure) with no issues and don't want to create another problem.   I have removed as much metal as I can from the extractor and probably better order a backup one.

gcrank,

I loaded a cast bullet into a primed only case that was into the rifling about 0.01".  Primer went off and I knocked the bullet out with a dowel rod.  Problem is I only want to shoot jacketed bullets at fairly high velocity and I think having a jacketed bullet into the lands with the loads I am shooting will lead a more serious problem. :o

thanks

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
Im all for keeping pressures down too!
How about mothballing those Norma cases, or selling them on the classifieds to someone who is thinking of doing a '120 and could ream their rimseat specifically for them. In the meantime finding thicker rim cases for yours IS the best approach, since it is working that way.
Or, think of the FTF as 'anti-trigger jerk practice'........... ;)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
I think this has been discussed before, but how bout soldering a shim in the rim cut,  cut it to the proper OD with an undersize ID, then silver solder it, then carefully open the ID up to chamber diameter, maybe with a ¼" drive conical shaped stone, then cut the ejector/extractor slot with a needle file?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
jamison .067~.070........  bout 10 were checked ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
jamison .067~.070........  bout 10 were checked ;)

Doc,

Thanks, looks like the Jamison brass would work fine, pretty much same thickness as the RCBS.  Now to unload about 3 dozen hit or miss Norma rounds. :P  Shootin' these cartridges is like playin' Russian Roulette w/o pointin' the gun at your noggin'. ;D

BB

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
bb, i would contact them first and request specs on there product.
jus cus mine mic'd that doan't mean nut'n.
i've had'um fer a few years ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:59 AM »
BB, pop off as many as will go bang, that many less to have to 'erase'. I know youve been shooting quite a bit already, but all trigger time is good practice  ;D.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special