Author Topic: multi-buckshot cartridge for 357 Mag (or 357 Max)  (Read 2120 times)

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
multi-buckshot cartridge for 357 Mag (or 357 Max)
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »
In the idea of a Taurus Judge and the new S&W Governor, I've been pondering the idea of a multi-buckshot cartridge for the 357 Magnum.  Perhaps either a 357 Magnum case (or a 357 Maximum case) with #000 or #00 buckshot.  Unfortunately my 357 Mag revolver doesn't allow for the 357 Max case to slide all the way into the cylinder, otherwise the 357 Max case would be ideal for a shot shell case.

Some searching, came across these products...

REMINGTON’S MULTI-BALL AMMUNITION
 http://www.americanrifleman.org/BlogEntry.aspx?id=1790&cid=25

Strike Three Self Defense .357 Magnum Pistol Ammo
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/am357-s3.aspx

#00 buckshot would measure smaller than the .357 and would probably pick up less rifle spin than a tight fitting #000 lead shot.

#000 buckshot .360"  70 gr.
#00 buckshot .330" 53.8 gr.

I am not going to attempt hand loading the idea any time soon, but am interested on investigating where one would start with a powder charge and type of powder (fast or slow?).  Three #00 buckshot would weigh in at about 160 gr.  Would using other .357 recipes for a 160 gr lead bullet be a reasonable place to start?
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: multi-buckshot cartridge for 357 Mag (or 357 Max)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
Back in the day when reloading books were not being pumped up by bullet mfg and powder specific that's how it was you picked a weight and powder and stuck it together, I still do it to this day 100grs are 100grs so I would start with a good 160gr load and load some up.

Where I use to hunt elk there was a lot of ruffed grouse I had a 41 mag that I carried just to shoot a few there were no shotshell capsules plus they did not hold enought shot so I made my own using a cut down 30-30 fire formed case some unique powder made over powder wads from styrofoam cups and using #7.5 shot and sealed with wax.

Worked well.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
 I hate to assume, BUT if these are for self defense, I'd rethink a bit.  Those cases are not going to allow for much shot. Those "shot gun" loads MAY be good enough for snakes at quite close range but a 200+ pound man is a different story! There have been many multi shot cartridges made over the years. Non have passed the test of time. Yes ,I have used this for an occassional partridge or snake, but I'll stick to a large SINGLE bullet for human varmints! Mike Venturino had a story on snake loads in Handloader some time ago. HIS loads worked great on potatoes as I recall.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »
I've loaded several types of multi projectile revolver rounds back in my younger days. There was no data to reference, we had to develop our own loads. Some loadings worked --------OK, but never found anything more effective than a single projectile.
Savage   
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
i have a few boxes of the remington

i have also loaded the 000 my self...the trick  is don't push them too  fast

also loaded four  #4 buck in a plastic shot case....they   needed to be flatten slightly to fit
the rear pellet flowed into the ''cup''  and was on target
the other 3  went wild
 designed  this round  after  my dad let a conventional round rip completely through the  house

also tried  some 433 rb  in the 44  mag.........125 grains each......[9 grains unique]
very good pattern......10g  of unique  was unsatisfactory

i have loaded double balls in  the 50cal  mussle loader      90g fff......170 each
good  load  too.......

i saw a deer  shot with this  load  once as  a young  man
thats has held my interest ever  since  in this type  load

i think its  time i made  up  something  like this for the 500 snw
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.