Author Topic: Scopes made in Japan  (Read 1652 times)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Scopes made in Japan
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
I was wondering if the recent tsunami tragedy will effect scope manufacturers?

yooper77

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Scopes made in Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »
That depends on where the factory was located.  Most of Japan's industry and population is south of the area hit the hardest.  What about TV's, microwaves, etc.  Almost all microchips are made in America or Japan.  They are only sent to China for assembly into computers or TV's.  Optics, don't know.  I know I have a good Nikon scope on my 35 Whelen.  Very clear.  In the store it was more clear than a Leopould at about the same price.  I also have two Nikon cameras.  An old 35mm and a new electronic one. 

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
Read today that American car makers rely on Japan for much of the electronics in our vehicles.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
I have some decent Japanese made scopes, Weaver, Redfield, and Thompson Center.

Yes, most every electronic are made in Japan, just scared to see the prices rise in the near future on everything supplied by Japan.

yooper77

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »
Yep we will pay for the greed of business. They moved production to Japan or sourced it in Japan for cheap labour now of course it's China etc the costs they saved goes into more profits and their pockets... now there is trouble no doubt they will start screaming about how they're suffering... yet they didn't care about those put out of work and never will. If China and the 3rd world decided to stop exports we would be in real doo doo.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:30:22 AM »
probably wont be just the jap scopes. Id guess that some of the american manufactures by jap glass and its just a simple fact that if the japs raise there prices and are still selling the american manufactures will jump right up there with them. Just told my buddy the other day. There are some great prices on optics and electronics like tvs right now and if a guy was smart hed be taking advantage as just the increase in the gas prices alone are going to send prices skyrocketing. then factor in the jap fiasco and id bet in two years the price of these things has doubled.
blue lives matter