Author Topic: Extractor or Ejector ?  (Read 536 times)

Offline Bencattin

• Trade Count: (2)
Extractor or Ejector ?
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
I need to know what this is. If it is an Ejector it is not working which is what I want it to do. I looked in the FAQ and I am confused.

Thanks,

Ben.

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Extractor or Ejector ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:26 AM »
an extractor only pops the shell out a few inches so you can remove it with your hands, an ejector shoots the shell out a few feet. i have never seen an extractor on a h&r/nef shotgun barrel only ejector, they might exist but i haven't seen one
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
Could have been converted. Folks have done it but o like the ejector myself.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
That's an ejector, it may be missing the latch spring or have a bad ejector spring, or someone converted it to a spring powered extractor, see the FAQs for a pic of all the parts and their relationship(minus the lift button which isn't used on rimmed cartridges/shotguns), there are links to permanent conversion to spring extractor which can only be restored with a new ejector claw or possibly an epoxy fix, but there's also a method for temporary conversion to extractor that can be undone, it's in the FAQs too. Shotgun ejector parts can be ordered from H&R, Brownells and Numrich.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bencattin

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
Thanks guys. I read thru the FAQ again. Took the thing apart cleaned it all up, added a spacer behind the main spring and it works fine.