Author Topic: Trailboss or Lilgun?  (Read 881 times)

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Trailboss or Lilgun?
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »
Got my main load worked out for my Charter Arms .327 Fed mag....looking for plinker load? Hodgdon shows that Lil gun in these mag revolvers (.327, .357) has very low  pressures and decent velocity should be easier on gun.  Trailboss low pressures and low velocity's but seems used much more for lead than copper jackets...anyone using for like .357 with JHP's? How does it perform? Will likely load 100gr xtp gun has 2.2" barrel. Welcome any thoughts. Thanks
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
Re: Trailboss or Lilgun?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
Lil'Gun is not a powder for plinking loads...

Trail Boss would be your choice if you want to use Trail Boss...

I use it in 38, 357, 44, and 45 handguns.  I also use it in several rifle cartridges...

I do use it exclusively for cast boolits though.  Can't help with the jacketed stuff...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
Lil'Gun is not a powder for plinking loads...

.......exactly. If you go to Hodgdon's website there is a formula for jacketed bullets and Trail Boss. I believe tho, you'd be well served for plinkers using Unique.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »
For the most part, TrailBoss is only for lead (some exceptions), Unique, Tight Group, Red Dot, Bullseye are all good choices for reduced loads, or go with the .32 H&R and/or .32 S&W Long.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
I've used Trail Boss for lead 45-70 loads and it produced a mild, easy shooting round. However, it doesn't like to meter through my Uni-Flow, it's just too bulky.
I've used Bullseye for my .357 and it works fine for both .38 and .357, around 3.0 gr and 5.5 gr, respectively.
It's pretty hard to compare TB to Lil Gun, they're two completely different animals.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
The main reason I was looking at Lil gun is the pressures....it would seem it would have to be easier on the gun at such low pressures but i have a hard time getting how it can produce the velocities they show with such low pressures. But when I called them they said it is accurate data. The kick itself does not bother me just looking for a load that would be easier on gun (I like to shoot). So if the velocity is as high as they show yet the pressure is as low as they show would using the Lil gun really be that much easier on the gun? How much does the velocity have to do with being hard on the gun if any?
Browning Illusion Bow
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
buy yourself a can of bullseye.
blue lives matter

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »
Cant find any load data for bullseye and .327 fed mag.
Browning Illusion Bow

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:17 AM »
The main reason I was looking at Lil gun is the pressures....it would seem it would have to be easier on the gun at such low pressures but i have a hard time getting how it can produce the velocities they show with such low pressures. But when I called them they said it is accurate data. The kick itself does not bother me just looking for a load that would be easier on gun (I like to shoot). So if the velocity is as high as they show yet the pressure is as low as they show would using the Lil gun really be that much easier on the gun? How much does the velocity have to do with being hard on the gun if any?

If you thinkin using Lil' Gun is gonna reduce recoil, it's not. Recoil is determined by bullet weight, velocity  and charge weight influenced by gun weight. In my experience, a 300 grain bullet pushed by Lil' Gun  going 1600fps has virtually the same recoil as the same bullet pushed to the same velocity by H110/W296. Where does Lil' Gun get that velocity without similar chamber pressure? No body seems to know. I too figured the reduced pressure would make my guns(and wrists) last longer. What I experienced tho, was when I used it in my revolvers(and carbines also for that matter), my guns would get much hotter, much faster with no reduction in recoil, than when using H110/W296 pushing the same bullets to the same velocities. Since accuracy and velocity in any of my magnums(.357, .44 and .460) using Lil' Gun was never as good as  H110/W296, I kinda went away from it. When the reports of premature forcing cone erosion from Lil' Gun use came out, I quit using it all together in my revolvers. I'm trying to use the last of what I have left up in the carbines, but since the carbines like the same loads as my revolvers, it just might become fertilizer.

IMHO........For reduced recoil loads, there are much better powders out there than Lil' Gun.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
Coop, email Alliant for a suggestion.  I would bet you would be fine to use the 32 H&R Mag data for the hollow base wad cutter and BI.  Might need to increase very slightly to compensate for your larger case. I don't shoot the 327 but I've done similar with the 357.

Red or Green dot, Unique,  might be a little better for your case but BI meters well.

I think the powder companies figure if you have this cartridge  you are looking for top performance hence only list hot loads.

Or check the Hodgdon site for the 90 gr HB WC loads  using Clays, HP-38, etc for mild loads.

I don't have the latest Lyman or Speer books - they may have good light loads. I think you'll find a good accurate load with a very small powder charge which is a big cost savings.

I have had good responses from powder companies when I've sought their advice on loads - call or email them.

What I've seen of Lil gun, it is NOT a light load powder.  And like others have listed here, it may have a much higher flame temp that may accelerate erosion. I am wary of it tho I've tried in my 41 mags.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA