Author Topic: Craigslist cannons nearby  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Mike H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Craigslist cannons nearby
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
The following is on Craigslist very close to me.  It was listed Feb 25.  I only just now found it.  They have only the email reply, no phone.  I emailed back tonight.  We'll see.  There is nothing I can physically do with the 9 footers, but perhaps I can winch the 4 footers into my trailer.  We'll see:

----------------------------

Admiralty Pattern Anchor: 11' long fisherman's anchor. The anchor measures approximately 7' form fluke to fluke. $750 OBO

Cannon Battery: 2- 4' Cannons and 2- 9' cannons $250 OBO per cannon

You will need to haul these AS SOON AS POSSIBLE from our lot near Orlando/Winter Park area.
Please let me know if you would like more details or if you would like to coordinate purchase/removal of any of the listed items.

Thank you

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Craigslist cannons nearby
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
That looks like a good size anchor too!

Let us know!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
We are about 50 miles inland.  Not sure how an anchor that big got there.  Looks like this stuff has been sitting there for a long time.  I hope to hear back and its not too late.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
how ruff are the guns,  i would be interested. in one mayeb two of them i fi could send you a check and make arrangements to come down there and get them, i have family in tampa and dade city.  please let me know, maybe i could talk you into getting better pics.

thanks rick bryan

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
The pics above are directly from their Craigslist listing.  I have not seen them.  I'll let you know what I hear back.  In the listing photo, the long ones look rough.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »
Well, I have heard nothing back from my email to the listing. I don't expect to now. It was listed over 3 weeks ago.  I figure I'm about 3 weeks or so too late.  Sorry to get your hopes up, Rick.

I never thought to check Craigslist for old cannons before.  I will monitor it regularly now.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
Well, surprisingly I heard back from the folks with the cannons.  And more surprisingly I knew them through business.  Still have them.  So I got my hopes up.

But they got dashed today.  They are original cannons, unfortunately they are well on their was to becoming iron ore again.  I don't think there is much iron left to work with.  The details come off, leaving nothing.  I could make out an "F" on one of the 9-footer's trunnions.  By the time you got down to metal there would not be much.  Looks like someone tried to "seal" the small ones a long time ago with some sort of resin.  The 4-footers are in the worst shape.  So I have decided to leave them be.

Anybody have any idea what they are, or rather, were?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
Some years ago I visited an antique shop/auction house that delt in cannon
they had a pile of iron cannon outside most of them 17th century dreged up
in the Bahamas nothing done to stablize them the iron was flaky i figured in
ten years or so there wouldn't be much left but the rust.... it's sad that these
things are pulled out of the water with little care for what will happen to them.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »
Swedish finbankers from Finspong, late 17th=18th century.

Bob Smith