Author Topic: leupold mk4 1-5x 30mm mtr ring choices for mounting on handi rifle  (Read 726 times)

Offline Barrabruce

• Trade Count: (0)
 :)G'day
I don't post much on this site but I drop in every now and again.
My good 'ol 4x weaver finally kicked the dust on me trusty 30-30

Being a long way from gun shops etc with much to offer.

I'm planning on getting a Leupy 1-5 mk4  30mm mtr spr for my 30-30.

For long range cast bullet  flinging/playing and serious hunting with various loads.

What rings can you suggest.
I've looked here but my search ability is well woeful.

Rifle is a SB1 with a 'ol topper barrel on it.
The weaver K4 with low weaver spring steel rings worked well with the 1" scope.

Mounting the mk4???
I've looked at the leupy site to no avail.
 Looking for something clean and solid to hold up to the vibrations of closing etc.
Are the mounts that screw together this way ()  any good compare to the "normal"

Are butler creek type covers any good on one of these or do they just get in the way of view and reloading?

Thanks for looking
Looking for mounting options that work
Barra from oz.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: leupold mk4 1-5x 30mm mtr ring choices for mounting on handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:14:32 AM »
cant help you but thats one hell of a scope for a topper!!
blue lives matter

Offline Barrabruce

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:27:23 AM »
 ;)Yep its a bitsa handi ugly as sin.

My eyes aint as good as they used to be and being a "one gun" man this one  should see me out.

I'd rather put good optics on a gun that'll shoot good enough for me than a $50 ebay special I see so many people put on there BNIB m.o.a garrenteed winningtons or remchesters provided you use match grade ammo.
I'm only a 200yrd shooter if I feel things are right.( don't shoot too much anymore)

At the range and off bags.
It'll shoot 3/4 moa with facorty 150's at 100 about 4" at 300mtres for 5 to 10 shots.

But I mostly use subsonic plain cast for "playing" and at 300 mtres and 72 moa elevation I can only put them into 6"groups  >:(

Paper patching is developing but mine tend to start to fly off into the scrub after 400yrds.

Hell don't be a dingo at 300.
 ;)I was gunna go iron sights but I just can't see that well anymore.

Barra

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
If it is not already, you will have to have the barrel drilled and taped for any mount you go with. With the recoil of a 30-30 I would think that about any good mount would work. If you go with a 1 piece mount you will have to make sure that it is parell with the bore, I don`t know what taper you will have to contend with, if any. While alot of people would think your nuts for putting that scope on that gun, I can tell you from experance that a rifle will shoot no better than the scope that is on it.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
How far do you plan to shoot?  You may not need a 30mm scope unless you need an awful lot of elevation adjustment.  No advantage for hunting at all.

Offline Barrabruce

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »
Yep its got a weaver type base on it.

I'm pretty sure its  got about 10-15 moa extra in the base already which is good.

I doubt if I could get it off with out maybe the help of a gas axe the way it has been attached.

While alot of people would think your nuts for putting that scope on that gun, I can tell you from experance that a rifle will shoot no better than the scope that is on it.

My thoughts exactly.

Me 30yr old scope was "do-able" but I think this will run rings around it for versatility.
From kicking up stuff from my feet to far enough limits of rifle and range

I need heaps of elevation for subsonic loads at distance.
 When I choose to use them.

Think on the lines of Grandpa's  subsonic pill throwing "300 whisper rifle" if it helps you.

I have measured the rifle up and got the scope dimensions.
As far as I can tell with scope placement and heights etc.
It will fit nicely.

The hammer extends 7mm up from the top of my base.
The eye box will need to clear this.

From measuring I think I will need 12mm rings from the top of the base mount and start of the 30mm scope hole.
It will clear the hammer by a few mm.
The bolt holes in the base will provide good alignment for the rings and plenty of  movement for eye relief either way.

Are your handi hammer heights  about the same ???

Bruce

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »
My good 'ol 4x weaver finally kicked the dust on me trusty 30-30
I see your in oz,  so shipping time and $ can be more, but my K4 failed after years of service and Weaver repaired it for $15 and a 3 week turn over. While your looking for an upgrade you may want to have yours fixed then sell it? Check the Weaver site for customer service, the site says you need a reciept but the Gent I spoke with said not a problem, and they fixed mine w/o proof of purchase.
( I don't know about shipping rules for over seas, I know some counties are a "no ship" for optics, it's worth a call or email though)
What rings can you suggest.
Are the mounts that screw together this way ()  any good compare to the "normal"
Mounts with screws on both sides work fine, I'm useing Weaver Tactical on 2 Handis and Burris Sig Vees in low on another. Leupy's are very popular with the folks on the NEF forum here at GBO's as well as the Burris Mounts, maybe check over there for specifics, I'm a short feller so I like my scopes to just clear the hammer, I don't like to streach my neck just too look through the scope.

Are butler creek type covers any good on one of these or do they just get in the way of view and reloading?
I use the Butler Creek Covers on the two scopes I have that didn't have factory covers and they work fine. Even for the rear occular with fast focus, the cover does flip open high enough to not be in the way in any manner. My goal is/was to protect the glass when not in use. A little care needs to be used when you put them on, if they're on too far or tipped a bit the cover won't close well, but properly installed they do what their sposta'.

found elsewhere

Offline Barrabruce

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the covers and mounts.
I'll look around the NEF /handi centre fire forum section to see what I can find out.

:) No me poor old weaver.
It owes me absolutely nothing.

I affixed a cap on the elevation screw thingy.
To experiment with ,to see if "twirling knobs" would be a good thing instead of estimating hold overs before getting a replacement of the tacticool type scope.
Works better than you would think and pretty reliable to boot.

After all the work and abuse its gone through over the years .
I think I have gotten me moneys worth out of it and have been happy with it.
It sat on a 22lr for many years and only head shot ??????? rabbits with it knocking around in the ute and it never gave me grief.
The coating on the lenses started to come off a bit and light scratches from wiping the fog and rain and dust off with the ever handy handkerchief ...mostly or only partially used.
It only died cos the threads in the turret stripped.
Most likely my fault.

Offline Barrabruce

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »
 :) Got the scope coming now.
From measurements and sizes off the web page I will need  scope rings to absolute minimal height of 0.3467" to just touching hammer spur.from the top of the H&R base thats on it so I figured out.

Leupolds only seem to down to 0.84" or 0.25" about 1/2 inch clearance.

I'm having trouble finding some suitable 30mm rings.
Any  help appreciated.

Barra