Author Topic: S&W 586  (Read 552 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W 586
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
This is the gun I bought to keep my daughter from putting her greasy hands on my model 28. It is a .357mag.
I was kind of leery of it for awhile. The bore is Clean, handles are good, shake test is good, lock-up is good but it has a new shake and bake finish. I know Collectors Firearms is a very reputable business and the charge what a gun is worth. This one was $700 which is about right for a 1980's S&W weapon in good shape.
I have come to the conclusion that the gun was poorly kept and that the blue finish was poor--therefore the shake and bake.
It looks to have been fired very little.
Pictures are dark and poor quality--it helps to click the pic to enlarge.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
Re: S&W 586
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »
Near as I can tell from the pics, the finish looks nice. Do you know what kind of finish it is? Cera-Kote, Dura-Cote?
How does the coating do with cylinder ringing from the pawl? I never had a coated revolver and wonder about the wear points.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline williamlayton

Re: S&W 586
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:43:41 AM »
You made me take it out to look, actually I looked at the K-22 also as a comparison.
I just had my K-22 reblued, last year, and it has been shot some since then.
The wear on the areas youu were discussing looks about the same. It is evident from looking that this is a new finish---I know that it has not been in Collectors Firearms long.
I have had occasion to be over there every week for the last few weeks looking--in search for a model 22--and I didn't see it.
One in this condition would not set long.
The finish is good---I have a couple of 1911's with a simular finish that are really good. I don't know the exact nature of this shake and bake.
The grips are the real clue---they are near perfect. That indicates a little used gun.
I think you would be happy with a shake and bake---depending on the quality of the product and who does the work.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD