Author Topic: primers blowing  (Read 2333 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: primers blowing
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 05:21:16 AM »
Most of the 'shimming' is being done to fit barrels to frame that did not come on that frame. Only a few times can I recall reading here that someone has 'had' to shim a barrel from what may be frame flex/underlug set-back which created headspace issues. Now, the question comes to mind, did these few cases start with a gun that already had headspace issues, but still fired OK, and the constant pounding aggravated the problem (not unlike a revolver with too much cylinder endshake that will hammer peen the recoil shield causing more 'headspace').
I know there are some boys (and maybe girls) here that have been shooting pretty heavy loads for some time without creating a rash of 'streached' frames.
Until someone posts some real, definitive, well done stress tests (I believe some have been done) we will continue to do more than a fair bit of speculatin'............
As to this OP's situation, I am truely glad you seem to have it licked!  ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Shoots For Fun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »
Hi gcrank1

Went to the range this evening. Shot six 5 shot groups of various loads. Did not have one ftf or any primer issues whatsoever ;D.

I actually retested loads I have fired before. some approaching the upper limit and the gun performed great. Largest group was about 1" with 4 groups @ .75 and one nearly .5. Ran into a fellow toting a CZ,  204 Ruger who said he had about $600 in the gun and a $290 Millet scope. I showed him  my cheap little 204 Ruger handi and what it could do with a $100 Nc  4-16X50mm scope on board. He did not show me any targets and seemed reluctant to shoot while I was there.  :o He did ask allot about load specs, though. This is not a critique on CZ's, just a little gloating from a proud handi owner  8)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974