Author Topic: Taurus pt 738  (Read 1725 times)

Offline crossroads

• Trade Count: (0)
Taurus pt 738
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
For the past few weeks I've had a micro 380 on my wish list. After reading many reviews, I had decided on the Taurus pt 738, but first I wanted to "fondle" one just to make sure it was what I was expecting for size, weight and concealability. So, my wife and I had some time to burn and a gun shop was in sight. Anyway, I liked the feel of the gun and decided to buy it. Today I loaded up the wife, kids and an arm load okay 2 arm loads of guns for a day at the range with an emphasis on shooting my new 380.  What a disappointment! I ran through one mag. with no issues. Then on the second I thought it was a missfire until I found the primer had not been hit. After that it might fire it might not. Since it is DAO I could continue pulling the trigger click click click bang. So took the slide off to see if there was anything obvious wrong and discovered that the striker was not hitting the firing pin. It would drop half way then if I release the trigger about half way and pull it again, the striker would fall the rest of the way. Now I guess I get to see how the Taurus "life time warranty" works. :(

Offline crossroads

Re: Taurus pt 738
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »
Taurus paid shipping, 2 weeks later and I have it back repaired no questions asked

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:53:59 AM »
I guess you got one with an issue but the one I bought has worked just fine so far.  I only have a couple boxes of ammo through it but no issues at all and at 15 yards it will put all of them into the black of a 25 yard pistol target with room left over.  So far I am pleased with mine.

Offline ruffhunter

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:01 AM »
I've been searching and researching and was down to a 637 or a pocket 380.  I barrowed a P3AT and hated it.  Ruger, the same, Diamondback, good platform but many horror stories read and by friends troubles.  I kinda wrote off the TCP without checking into it.  I handled one at a gun show.  The sights were suprising much better, like having a rear blade.  Also the grip was so much better and filled out better.  Plus the 5 or 5.5lb trigger and slide stop.  I seen a gray frame, so its my next purchase for pocket.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
I have not heard many good things about Taurus handguns. Get yourself a Ruger or some other reliable handgun. Especially if your life depends upon it.

Offline ruffhunter

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
Bought the grey/stainless this week. will make a range trip this week

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »
I had a Taurus 738 that worked great.  Never had any problems with it.  Thought it felt way better than the keltec I used to have.  Only reason I sold it was cause my brother really wanted it and I decided I really wanted an LCR.  I have owned many Taurus guns through the years and have never had a single one with any problems.