Author Topic: safety  (Read 950 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
safety
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
  well i will be talking about safety today.   i got a phone call to day about a friend who owns one of my golf ball mortar,  i was told he was hurt while shooting it. i was worried about him.   He shoots with me ob my 24lb mortar. in comp. he is always safe and very good. and experienced at loading as he does it on the big gun for me.   well he was out back of his house with the little mortar and was not being safe. and failed to use any safety.  he knows better and  i hope that this will show you guys that all mortars are guns no matter the size.  he was pouring powder strait from the can into the bore without  cleaning the bore or cleaning the vent. or checking for embers or waiting the proper amount time before loading. 60 sec. he was pouring the powder strait into the bore from a full can and it lit up and blew the can up in his hand. he suffered 1st 2nd and 3rd degree burns and is on his way to the burn unit right now.    even the little guns are guns.   he will have powder burned into his skin for the rest of his life now. and has a long hard road ahead of him.     
                 please  please take head and stay safe.    it only takes one time of lasps of safety to kill.

rick bryan

Offline KABAR2

Re: safety
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
Rick,

Sorry to hear about your friend & team mate, all I can say is Ouch! If he had been using pre-measured
the damage would have been lessened I think it is easy to forget the little one's can bite you as well as the
big one's......

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »
(&$&^%!!!)

Safety has always been our FIRST rule, here on the forum.

Take a long look at the procedures used by N-SSA and AAA.

Adapt them for individual use, but use them.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline MR.GADGET

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »
Several times when we were shooting a few weeks back if you remember me yelling at a few of the guys, it happens, just get caught up in the fun and it happens....
We can not let that happen.

I found a little bit of sparks in mine then and would blow and clear it out. They are not like our big ones in the way they build pressure to clear some of that stuff. It was still burning even at one min.
Need to spend the time and go slow, follow the rules and stick to them.

Rick, sorry to hear about this and let me know if there is anything I can do. I'm sure I know who it is even if not by name, wish him luck.

MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
Rick: I know you feel bad about this, but I can't imagine how it was a design/fabrication issue that led to this accident. It sounds like your friend violated some very basic cannon and muzzleloader safety rules that can NEVER be ignored. Let's just hope he recovers quickly and fully.
Very best,
Bill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
EVEN following the rules, there are instances where keen observation may save your bacon!

There are rules of thumb - like waiting 3 minutes between firing and loading.

I have seen pieces of fuse glowing brightly (INSIDE the powder chamber of  my 4.5" mortar) AFTER 3 minutes (timed)!!!!!

We've ALL made stupid mistakes.  No going back.  Some of us have been more than just lucky!

A young apple picker made the following obsvation - when reaching out for that last apple just beyond your reach, and the ladder slips, all your 'ifs' go down the drain.

SO, the question is, how do we proceded safely ....
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
as more info i given to me i will let you know if it is needed to be known.    also i have found out the bore had been oiled the daybefore to clean it and it was not wiped out.  we beleive the heavy oil helped keep the ember glowing longer.   he had been given 20 film canisters to use for powder by me so he could stay safe.    but they were not used.     any one thing could have caused this but with all of them added up it was a no wonder it happened.  be safe. any one rule being broken can cause a missfire.  the rules are there for a reason these rules were written in blood.   and now you see how.   stay safe.

rick bryan

Offline MR.GADGET

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »
Rick, keep me up to date and let me know if anyone needs anything.

Good reason to hand out the rules at every shoot at capron. I had last weekend guys that have been shooting years ask me, " Remind me the timing and when we can load and shoot"

That would be a good thing to do.
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
well the last update i got, was he is doind ok, his burns are not as deap as expected and he should be coming home today. but still has alot of treatment ahead of him, still not sure if they have to do skin graphs. will will find out soon i guess. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
We wish him the BEST!

This must be a tough one for you too.  Not an easy time thinking through again and again.  Lessons like this are how we learn.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
I just got back from seeing him,  they let him go home today.    he is druged up but he will be ok.   his face is like a really bad sun burn from hell. but it will heal with out scars.  his arm tho might have some scaring. and will take some real healing. he told me he learned a real good leason its just a shame it takes things like this to teach them.  the had a vent brush and a barrel swab 15 feet away from the gun they should have used and powder tubes instead of the can. right by them. but they were in tomuch of a hurry to have fun.  no time for safety.     he will be ok and we expect him to shoot here in 6 weeks. at spring nationals. so thank you for your prayers. they are helping.    stay safe

rick bryan

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
Glad your friend is alive.

I had ~100gr of BP go off in the palm of my hand 20 years ago and that was more than enough to learn me good. When I was a teenager I watched a 1# can of BP go off (lit with a fuse). Seeing that, I imagine one might not want to live after a full can went off in the hand.

On a side note, you guys who make these things might should remember that you're more likely to be maimed or killed while running a lathe than by using a cannon...

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,171628.msg1098801838.html#msg1098801838
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »
I did something stupid many years ago with BP and recieved very bad second degree burns on the palm of my hand ........ the very hand my ciggerette was in when I lite it !!!! :o :( ??? ??? ::) :-[ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

A whole can ! I think that your friend is very lucky !

Thank Goodness he will be alright .

So ....was there any flash bang pictures ? Video ?

Sorry , I had to ask . :o
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 05:19:50 AM »
I just got back from seeing him,  they let him go home today.    he is druged up but he will be ok.   his face is like a really bad sun burn from hell. but it will heal with out scars.  his arm tho might have some scaring. and will take some real healing. he told me he learned a real good leason its just a shame it takes things like this to teach them.  the had a vent brush and a barrel swab 15 feet away from the gun they should have used and powder tubes instead of the can. right by them. but they were in tomuch of a hurry to have fun.  no time for safety.     he will be ok and we expect him to shoot here in 6 weeks. at spring nationals. so thank you for your prayers. they are helping.    stay safe

rick bryan

Rick,

How about his fingers and hand, are the okay.

Since they Cops came, did they take the mortar for investigation?

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:25:13 AM »
his hand is good.  thank god,    no real burn there for some reason.  the mortar is still in the back yard where they left it. because it was not a  gun problem they didnt both with the mortar.  just the powder. and the fact he was shooting in the city limits,  but nothing was done ,  everyone including cops were just so happy he was ok. and he has had enough punishment.

rick bryan

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »
There is the punishment of the pain from the injury....then there is the o ther punishment, that will come when he has healled a bit and he shows up on the range for a shoot and he starts getting ribbed about it....that will hurt...peers can be brutal.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 06:37:47 AM »
Better a little brutal ribbing from your peers than having them standing around your casket mourning over you! In this game, safety should always be your first and last thought before you pull the lanyard or light the fuse! Follow the common sense rules, and you can enjoy the rest of your day! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
his hand is good.  thank god,    no real burn there for some reason.

Maybe the metal of the can, thin as it is, was enough to deflect the particles and shield from the heat.  Sometimes it is better to be lucky.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill