Author Topic: Not Just the Barrel Program  (Read 1367 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Not Just the Barrel Program
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
I suggested a 44 mag SB2 with sights to my friend for his sons Birthday Present a year or so ago. The Williams rear sight blade must have not been in tight as it fell out on the way to his deer stand. Kinda ended that hunt for his son. He contacted H&R and they sent him a fiber optic rear sight. Cost plus shipping I think. He called back and explained to them again it was not a fiber optic sight. They said they would send him a fiber optic front sight??? That never came. All he wants is a blade to get the gun back to original. I think I've found them in my Midway catalog but they give three sizes. Hope I can figure it out the first time.

Then I ordered a scope base & offset hammer spur a year or so ago. I bought a barrel a couple weeks ago and opened the package to install the scope base and it only had two base screws in it :( So I guess I order another one and throw everything but the one screw away or enlarge the spare parts drawer. The package they come in is so well made it's obvious they only put two in there. Guess I'll look in those World Famous FAQs when I have nothing else to do OR Really Really want to shoot this new barrel. Wonder if just two screws would be enough. They were Loctited in a couple hours ago. Maybe if I just fill the hole with JB weld and force a one inch wood screw in it will be good. Then if it don't shoot well I can wonder if that is the problem. WOW! What direction is this world headed? Two very small parts make two guns Unusable, well I guess he could just sight down the side of the barrel and I can fire up the welder.

Had to vent, Hope it don't happen to you! Not the way I wanted my day off to go.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Not Just the Barrel Program
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
BV,

Not good, I hope and your friend get these problems resolved.  I think the scope base screw is a 6-48 machine screw, but I don't remember the length.  You might find one at a hardware store.   If you go ahead with the wood screw you might have to turn up the torque setting a tad on your power screw driver. ;D 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
Just don't seem right that things smaller than your thumbnail can cause a person these problems. Wouldn't mind as much if you could just solve it the first or second time. I just don't think people listen anymore. Or care. It will all work out one of these days.

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »
Send me you address and I'll send you a screw. G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

NRA Life Member since '72

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
You are a good man Gunther, I will take you up on your generous offer.

Thank You!

I found a phone number on the package but after what my buddy has been through, I don't think I can handle it right now.

BB. Please change your signature line as I think too many are taking it as advise ;D

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
I know the feeling...I deal with this same mentality everyday at work. Isn't it interesting how 10% of all people create 90% of our headaches??

Hang in there, BV. It will all be over soon and you'll be back to happy shooting days.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Frustration
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
Gun screws in 6-48 size should be available 'for the asking' at most any decent gun shop or sporting goods store.  Even if they charged you for them, they're about a buck full price, and we usually gave 'em away.
I DO feel your frustration, though.  Stuff should be right, the first time, and not on the second or third try. 
As to the sights, I throw the Williams away and install Lymans, Redfields, or Marbles.  Better sights, and they don't bust or fall apart.  The plastic glow in the dark junk ends up in the trash in as much time as it takes to get a screw driver blade on 'em!  Helps that I have a few on hand that I've removed from projects over the years.  Never, ever, ever, throw anything away! (except them darned plastic sights!)
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:25:02 AM »
I too chuck plastic sights......even when my eyes were good enough to use them.  Over the years I've collected two generous boxes of open sight parts and scope parts.  Everything including screws, filler screws, front and rear sights, rings and bases, spare scopes too.  Ya can't have enough junk around.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »
Got home from work late and there was an envelope from Gunther with a base screw lookin pretty. It has Loctite drying on it right now in my 30-30 barrel. Thank You Jerry, best part of my 12 1/2 hour day.

Also Brian must of read my post and PM'd me that a screw and sight blade is on the way. Haven't told my buddy until it's here but he will be happy also.

Great bunch of fellows here. Don't find many out in the real world anymore. 

A little kindness goes a long way. Thank You!

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »
Got home from work late and there was an envelope from Gunther with a base screw lookin pretty. It has Loctite drying on it right now in my 30-30 barrel. Thank You Jerry, best part of my 12 1/2 hour day.

Also Brian must of read my post and PM'd me that a screw and sight blade is on the way. Haven't told my buddy until it's here but he will be happy also.

Great bunch of fellows here. Don't find many out in the real world anymore. 

A little kindness goes a long way. Thank You!

+10 on that!  God Bless to all.

goofy.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Really didn't want to post on this thread again. Sorry!
Came home from the gunshop Sat. am got a delay for a frame I bought here >:(
Envelope from Brian in mailbox with what looked like everything and more than was needed. Had to meet a guy to buy an AR lower. On the way home called my buddy and told him I had his sight blade for him. He was so happy. Last eve. I got around to really looking at things and found it is a sight blade I've not seen before. Must be making different ones now. Called him back to tell him he didn't need to hurry over as it won't fit. Glad I only got his answering machine ;D
The one I'm looking for is on the right, the one on the left is different.

If anyone knows what the one on the right is I may get a spare or two as I have a couple open sights that take the blade on the right. 
I just looked in my Midway book and they show the blade Brian sent me but on the next page they show the base we have and I took mine all apart and they don't interchange. Glad I didn't order a blade for him as I'm afraid I would have gotten farther into this can of worms ;D He got tired of it by now and was very happy when I told him it was solved. I wasn't going to post this but it may help someone in the future if they have a similar deal. It's hard to tell by pics in a cat.
I was just going to send a pic to Brian but found you can't send pics in PMs.
I would like to Thank Brian for being more than generous in the parts he sent me. He is on the right track for Great customer service. Everyone here will benefit by having Brian at H&R with his attitude. Too bad it don't work like a chain letter. Well, maybe it will for some.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
BV,

I went through my junk drawer and found the rear sight off a 1995 vintage 45/70 barrel.  The blade on this sight looks like the one you are missing.  PM me your address & I will mail you the complete sight as I am pretty much scope only these days and have no use for this.   :P

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
Thanks BB, but I'm thinking of letting my bud deal with it. I've got too much going on right now. I thought I'd have learned by now. I know most of the best contractors in town but when anybody asks me who I'd recommend I tell them to pick one. If I suggest one it will be the one job they manage to mess up. I pretty much learned that 25 yrs ago and relearned it a few times since. I should mind my own business, it keeps me busy enough ;D Hope you needed to clean that junk drawer out anyway.
Thanks to everyone involved. I'm gonna load up some bullets and have some fun if the weather ever warms up. Good Day!

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »
Hey BV;
NOMB but  i think you ought to go take a nap and then send BB your contact info..

Just my humble opinion

Offline koger

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Have you guys never heard of Brownells? They stock a large variety of Handi parts, should have the sight part, you need was made by Williams, I believe. They have tons of all kinds of screws, I have the whole 6/48, 840, 6/40 kit, use it weekly. If you dont want to buy the kits, buy a dozen pack refill for 6/48 or whatever you use the most, buy the longest ones and you can cut them down to size in 1-2 minutes, no big deal. These fine folks will bend over backwards to answer any questions, and helpl you get  what you need, and you have tech suppot. Hope this helps.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
cheater, Thanks for your advise but I did get to sleep in this morning. I'm not sure if the one from a 45/70 is the same height as I think they list 3 different ones in Midways cat. Not sure now if they are the right ones though. I recomended the gun to my friend who didn't screw it tight when he sighted it in. Not the guns fault or mine. As far as the recomendation thing I only meant it seems to be better to let people make their own decisions. I was trying to help him as he isn't real familiar with guns and working on them. I didn't want BB to send me one and have it be the wrong one. I do appreciate his offer.

Koger, I had a Brownells cat. around here somewhere but haven't been able to find it lately. I have screws now thanks to Gunther and Brian. I will find that cat.

My dog has had a couple close calls and my wife developed a big problem with her leg and other health problems these last couple weeks so I was just going to put this near the back burner for a little bit. He probably won't use the 44 until next deer season. We have been good friends for 40+ years so I'm sure I will get back to this. If you would have heard how happy he was when I called.
Sorry if I offended anyone. Unfortunately I'm not used to people going through drawers and sending me stuff at their expense and time. Gunther and Brian have and I feel a little funny about it BUT Very Thankful.

These truly are a great bunch of guys on here and I would never want to offend any as it is so rare to find people like this anymore. Maybe I need to give my fingers a rest for a while. Thanks To ALL Mike