Author Topic: Light Primer strikes with R223 MBS  (Read 1156 times)

Offline SMOKEYE

• Trade Count: (0)
Light Primer strikes with R223 MBS
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
I am getting some light primer strikes on my R223 MBS. These have happened with my hand loads. I use CCI primers which are known to be a harder primer. My other rifles in .223 go bang just fine using the same loads , so I am thinking it may be the rifle. Has anyone else had this problem pop up with their Rossi single shot ?
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Light Primer strikes with R223 MBS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
I'm not aware of any persistent  problems pertaining to Rossi's and lite primer strikes.   How does it do with factory loads?  Does the firing pin appear to protrude far enough out of the breach?   Does it look flat and square at the end or does it look peened over or out of square indicating that it may be damaged?  Could just be some crud has built up around the hole or on the firing pin it's self keeping the firing pin from exiting far enough.  Try giving the action a good cleaning paying special attention to the firing pin hole and firing pin.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline TYM2MOTR

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »
In '07 I bought a new R762MB Rossi, first trip to the range-no luck, all I had was (Wolf) misfires.  The shallow, light strike cartridges, however, fired fine in my sons AK.  The next day I took it back to G Mnt, showed the smith some misfired rounds and off it went to Rossi Texas / Mexico.  When it came back, second time out Wolf Mil Spec = same problem, but I found Fed Eagle and UMC Rem fired fine.  I again tried some more Wolf (that I already had anyways) and while most misfired a few did fire (?).  Going through the ammo I found almost all had recessed primers but in each box there were a few rounds that had a larger head diameter, different type flush mounted primer...those all fired fine.  Being ammo type / primer set sensitive makes it more $ to shoot but @ least for my troubles it came back adjusted / sighted in (I marked it before it was shipped back)....hope this helps...

Offline SMOKEYE

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
The pin looks to extend far enough out and all is clean. I think I will pick up some winchester white box .223 at wally world and try them. Winchester primers are softer than CCI's.
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow

Offline czvz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:36 AM »
I have a 7.62X39 that as time goes on has become problematic as your .223.  What I think is happening with mine is the bullet is allowed to seat to deep into the chamber. When you close the action, the breechface pushes the extractor in until the extractor face is flush with the Barrel face.  At this point on mine the primer is recessed .020".  Take your barrel of the receiver and manualy put a bullet in the chamber and push down on the extractor untill it is flush with the barrel face and then using a razor blade as a straight edge see if there is a gap.   I'm trying to figure out a DIY fix for mine... anyone have any ideas?