Author Topic: Buying Vs. Building AR-15  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Varmintnut260

• Trade Count: (12)
Buying Vs. Building AR-15
« on: March 26, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
I "co-own" a ar-15, with my father, (basically we didn't believe we'd shoot it as much as we have, to buy 2 of them) RRA elite car A4, with a few upgraded options. I recently have been thinking of building my next one, more then likely using RRA parts, mainly for the reliability, price and how pleased I am with their 2 stage trigger. That being said, I've compared their price kits, which can't be upgraded or customized unless you buy everything seperate. This would cost far more then a completely built AR buy RRA and their complete rifles come with, IMO a great warranty.

My question I guess would be, what would you guys do, and if you were to build your own, go with a complete upper and lower....or start from scratch?

I am well aware I could use the lower off the carbine I already have. I'd like to have a complete rifle incase we (father or g/f) want to shoot together, or I move further away.

Offline JWP58

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Buying Vs. Building AR-15
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
Really just depends on what you want. Personally i bought a complete lower and upper and slapped them together. Why did i go that route?

I wanted to save money where i could without sacrificing quality where i want it. I bought a low end lower (DPMS)...made sure it was in spec. Then i bought a high quality upper (bravo company). Not meaning to hurt any feelings, but i wouldnt buy and upper from dpms, rra, remington, oly arms, ect.

For my uppers i stay with known quality...Bravo Company, Colt, Noveske, Larue Tactical, KAC, ect....

The proof is out there....

http://www.03designgroup.com/reviews/bcm-complete-ar15-upper-and-lower-receivers

Offline Varmintnut260

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
When I went with the RRA, it was mainly due to them building it per my request, with the options wanted. I've had the one RRA for over a yr now and even with trying new loads, I may only have shot 400 or so rds through it. Quality seems fairly good, Im not saying its the best out there, I've always heard great things about Larue. RRA just caught my eye when they got FBI and DEA contracts. I will look into other uppers such as BC and Larue.

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »
I also looked a building, buying new or, buying used. I ended up buying new. Building wasn't that much cheaper after paying to ship all the parts. Buying used is same price as building and you don't what your getting. The DPMS Prairie Panther I got has a few extras I liked. So yep there are a lot of things to think about when buying an AR.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »
If I wanted a specific configuration, I'd build (most likely using primarily BCM parts).  If I just wanted a reliable shooter, I'd get a CMMG (possibly one of their "bargain bin" rifles).

It's all about what you want to do with it and where you want to compromise.

Offline Varmintnut260

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »
I do have a buddy whom just returned from Afghanistan, prior to leaving his unit just received Gas piston HK M4s. When talking to him about ARs, he responded with he will from never buy an american m4/ar15 after firing one of these. I havent spoken to him much since he returned home, but I still have questions about how the new weapons turned out. Even though they usually have a 2500+ price tag.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
You could do what I'm doing. I'm building my lower (Spikes tactical) exactly how I want it and I'm going to have an upper built for me by bison armory (I'm building a 6.8 spc spec II) of course you could just buy a stock upper if your going .223/5.56
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
before you consider building the look at the price of the tools you will need to do the build correctly a lot of the suppliers were out of stock. the lower can be built with brass punch and one stock wrench plus parts. the price on a complete gun hasn't changed much since last year.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
I have looked at several lowers and see little difference in most. I have one with a DPMS lower and DPMS parts kit. I put that togather . I got a complete upper to top it off . Don't have a clue as to who made the parts . All is SUPPOSE to be American GI spec parts. All fit togather well and it shoots well. I have a 4 position stock on it and a regular handguard. I think I have less than $650.00 in it. It has an A2 carry handle/sight mounted on a flat top rec with military front sight/ gas block.
 The lower is very easy to put togather . The upper is somewhat harder but doable . You can buy lowers stripped for as low as $65.00 at gun shows . Parts kits around $65.00 . Stock for in the $30.00's  Try one with the upper you have . If you like it then either try a build or buy an upper complete. Midway has some good instruction and maybe Brownell's also .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline JWP58

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:10:57 AM »
I do have a buddy whom just returned from Afghanistan, prior to leaving his unit just received Gas piston HK M4s. When talking to him about ARs, he responded with he will from never buy an american m4/ar15 after firing one of these. I havent spoken to him much since he returned home, but I still have questions about how the new weapons turned out. Even though they usually have a 2500+ price tag.

The HK 416 are HEAVY, way to exspensive, and suffer from carrier tilt problems, like most piston driven AR's. Piston AR's are trying to solve a problem that doesnt exsist. BCM has run one of their DI uppers 31,000 + rounds without cleaning, no ftf or fte's.

Save your self the money and weight and get a quality DI ar15.

Offline Varmintnut260

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »
I dont really see a point/need for me to buy a gas piston AR. The prices are truthfully way out of my price range. I don't think I shoot enough to buy one, I did however make a point to my buddy about that. He still insists if I buy another AR to get a Sig, or HK.

For the amount I shoot, and from what I know I may buy another RRA, and deal with the wait. I added up some tools I would need for a complete build and that would be close to the amount of money I spend on sights/ equipment.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
I "co-own" a ar-15, with my father, (basically we didn't believe we'd shoot it as much as we have, to buy 2 of them) RRA elite car A4, with a few upgraded options. I recently have been thinking of building my next one, more then likely using RRA parts, mainly for the reliability, price and how pleased I am with their 2 stage trigger. That being said, I've compared their price kits, which can't be upgraded or customized unless you buy everything seperate. This would cost far more then a completely built AR buy RRA and their complete rifles come with, IMO a great warranty.

My question I guess would be, what would you guys do, and if you were to build your own, go with a complete upper and lower....or start from scratch?

I am well aware I could use the lower off the carbine I already have. I'd like to have a complete rifle incase we (father or g/f) want to shoot together, or I move further away.
I think it would depend on what you want on or in the rifle.
if you look around and want 95% of what is offered as a stock rifle then get the stock rifle and chage the 5% that you want to.
If you look at what is available in stock rifles and you want to change more the 10% or the items then I would say build it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:31 AM »
why buy a converted gun ( a gas system platform converted to piston ) ? Get a M1-A  ;)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
If you just want to save money then I think it's easier to buy a complete lower and a complete upper and just put the two together.  It's much easier to find a deal on a complete lower & complete upper seperately than together as a complete rifle.  For example, years ago I got a deal on a complete DPMS lower for $250 delivered and out the door.  Then I a month or so later the upper I wanted went on sale for $450 delivered.  I had exactly what I wanted at just shy of $700, so it's completely possible to save money this way. 

I'm actually waiting on an upper to come in the mail because I just did the same thing again.  A guy locally was selling a brand new complete bushmaster 6-position lower for $250 cash.  How could I argue with that?  If I built my own I wouldn't have saved $50 doing it.  After I had my lower I started looking over the internet for an upper.  Plenty of good used ones out there, but I came across a deal on a new one that I couldn't pass up.  Overall I'll be well over $100 saved putting this rifle together this way and it'll be exactly like any other bushmaster carbine out there.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »
teddy12b , $250.00 for a lower ? Stripped they run $65-110.00 at shows . Parts kit another $65 with a servicable 6 position stock 40 bucks or A2 stock 45 bucks . On low end $170.00 . That was  a DPMS lower and kit . I can't remember the stock maker but it wasn't magpul  ;D.
A friend and I both got the "best deal " uppers $ 250.00 from R-guns
and I splerged on their $120.00 bolt and carrier . Added a $15.00 charging handle . The thing shoots 1 inch groups , His mine dosen't have a scope yet. So we got a nice M-4 that shoots nice for $ 555.00 or so.
 Yours sounds a bit more speicalized though.
I put the lowers togather with standard tools other than the wrench for the stock. They can be had for $15.00 .
I didn't post this as a cut on you but to show how cost effective you can get if you need to . I also agree its easier to buy complete if you don't like building things. Here at shows several dealers will assy parts for free if you buy from them.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Everyone talks about the money you can save building it yourself. To be honest I don't want a project I want a gun. Then as you have noticed, you are only saving if you get the lowest cost/quality parts. Heck if I'm already doing this thing I may as well do it right. Now the price is going up and where do you stop?.

A build for me would not be much more complicated than a finished lower and a finished upper. That is if for some reason they are not already attached to one another at the factory.  I am however open to getting a 6.8 upper for my AR, simply because I can. The savings would likely be blown on a scope upgrade.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:21 AM »
You both make good points.  Yeah, I definately could have gone cheaper and paid less for my AR.  No doubt about it, but putting mine together the way I did saved me at least $100 over buying it from the best deal I could find online.  That doesn't take into the consideration the savings on shipping and & ffl fee.  I've never seen a complete factory built lower for less than $250 new.  If anyone does see that, please let me know where I could pick some up.   

Another thing to take into consideration is reasle value.  I never buy a gun with the intention of selling it later, but stuff happens and guns hold their value just like gold & silver bullion.  I've seen a lot of the homemade parts gun for sale in classifides over the years and they never bring in the same money as a factory built gun.  It's not that the guns weren't put together right, or don't function.  It's just a lot easier to sell something that's been assembled in a factory than it to sell something that a stranger put together for the first time and now wish to sell.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 06:10:24 AM »
Empty Quiver , you can save buying best parts also . I listed a gun made from good quality parts . You can up grade parts also. I have a $200.00 lower from a good name manf. on a 6.8 SPC. its set up just like a gun in a local retail store . In the store it retails for $1300.00 . Mine was around $750.00 . The name on the guns are the same , they look the same . The parts are all mil. spec. parts . How would anyone know the difference ?
 That said if you build a gun for less than factory price and sell for less that resale on a factory gun what did you lose ?
 Also if a guy wants a gun , one that shoots say one ragged hole at 100 yards and your home built gun does that on demand and looks good why is it any less than a CUSTOM GUN ?
Most AR parts are built by a few manfactures and stamped for many different buildres . I find it interesting to go to shows and see all the names on lowers And deer hears ,knives, eagles bears etc.. Some of the sellers I have known for years and learned to trust often have several name lowers for sale. Often at different prices. When ask why one cost more than another they often reply that the lower cost one also made the higher priced one. Adding the other name added to the price as the other company had to make a little money also. Some say recivers are of different quality . I have seen it in finish or coating. If they are true mil spec. then they are of equal quality ( stay away from non mil. spec. products unless you know what you are getting).
 I would add that the more "new on the market psrts yoou use the higher the cost.