Author Topic: Range Report - 45 Colt Classic and 223 x 22" @ 1 in 12  (Read 410 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Range Report - 45 Colt Classic and 223 x 22" @ 1 in 12
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
New first...the 45 Colt shot well...to 100 yards, for an open sight, brand new, 150 shots through the barrel of cast 158 gr. LSWC's over 6.5 grains of IMR 700X.  The trigger is HARD but is hoped to improve in time.    The powder is not working to its pressure limit.  The cases were sooty from inefficient closure against the chamber and the barrel was very dirty with unburned powder.  But it was fun to hear the bullets impacting on paper and to see the LARGE holes by comparison to the 223.

I just purchased a used 223 and it too shot well with reloads made by progressive press and not specifically for this gun.  When the little barrel was on paper at 100 yards, the newly acquired, but used Redfield wide angle scope made punching out the bullseye significantly easy.  "Barrel off" shot well, and reducing pressure on the forearm stock screw brought it back and held center BEST. I "danced" five shots around the inside corners of a 1.25" diameter bolt that had been used to pen a bullseye.  Accuracy was best with Varmint Extreme 55 gr. lead tipped spitzers.  Hornady Vmax polycarbonate tipped bullets were the worst, but that should be attributed to only 4 rounds on hand and the first "set" following the forearm "torqued" to the barrel.  More work is in order for the Hornadys.  Remington factory 55 gr. lead tipped spitzers also shot well.

A "troubling" aspect of the used 223 was its failure to eject the spent casing.  I had to drop a steel bit down the barrel five or six times to dislodge the "stuck" case as the ejector did not function and held fast when the breech was opened.  I think that it was a function of the forearm not being on the rifle at the time because the brand new 45 Colt did the same thing, as an extractor, with its forearm removed.  However, when the 223 forearm was reinstalled, the failure continued, for a while, to eject the spent case.  What the fix for that?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Range Report - 45 Colt Classic and 223 x 22" @ 1 in 12
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
The 45 Colt has an extractor, so it won't eject no matter what. But if the 223 has an ejector that's not working properly, the fix is in the FAQs, see the ejector tune info. The forend has to be in place for either to function.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
You are "working" late tonight Tim.

Parts of this I don't quite understand...
flat honing the ejector on all contact surfaces and polishing the ejector housing with a piece of 600 wet/dry wrapped around a piece of steel. Then put a BB ahead of the spring

I will assume here that upon removal of the ejector (in a plastic bag to keep springs from orbiting the Earth) that I should be able to detect the "contact surfaces" by the visible wear and "polishing the housing" is where those previous contact surfaces mate.  The "tune up" is in effect "loosening up" the ejector by removing a little bit of metal (0.001" to 0.002"maybe?) and adding the BB gives the spring more umph (I get that)!

Is there something about "wet" 3-in-1 oil that should not be in there as I see it is recommended to use "dry" lube instead.

...you were so "Quick" that I didn't get it Modified in time.  I was in the process of updating my OP to include "extractor" for the Colt when you posted.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
That would be correct, all you're doing is smoothing up all surfaces to reduce friction, I like dry lube because it stays put, doesn't attract dust, and most importantly, doesn't end up on the latch shelf which will destroy accuracy.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:41:10 AM »
I was being "overly optimistic" about my 1.25" bullseye.  I took the calipers to the target this morning and my "guesstimate" was off by 0.25".  The distance across the diagonals of this bolt (below) is 1.85".  Across the flats is 1.50".  My best and last 5-shot x 223 string of the day was 1.55" at 100 yards.  I don't think that is at all bad.  Definitely a Turkey gun within 100yards.  Some additional tuning, maybe stock refinishing, and this will be a fine rifle.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:45:43 AM »
LO,

Dirty chamber, dirty ammo, lube still on cartridges & hot loads can also contribute to the 223 FTE. 

The reason you gun will not eject or extract w/o the forearm is the roll pin in the lug that sticks out a bit on each side of the lug must contact the inside of the frame to open the extractor or release the ejector when the barrel is opened.  w/o a forearm this doesn't happen unless you are a gorilla and can keep the barrel pivot firm against the pivot pin.

5 shot @ 1.55" @ 100 yards and you haven't worked up a load is not bad!  Was the barrel hot for this string?

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »
FWIW,
 I've a 1-12 bull that'll shoot dime size groups at 200 with 55grn anything's after I took care of the forearm issues. Also had to clean up the ejector for it to function right but finally made it an extrator, got tired of looking for brass.
 The biggest deal ta tighten the groups was getting control of runout. Darn thing has nearly a quater inch of freebore. I did a cerrosafe casting and to begin with the head too neck chamber is 1.1795, .0035 over sammi then it's another .215 to the lands from the neck and the neck is .255 across, that's plenty big.  :o
 With a chamber neck an leape that big "crowding the lands" is impossible with those little pills. So keeping runout in the .001-.002 range is/was the key. Anything more an it IS noticable on the paper downrange. Shoot's boattails an flatbase with little differance. Nosler 55 BT's and Remington FMJ's are a tenth of a grain of powder apart an print the same group ( rem's open up a bit at 200 )(Varget)
 It doesn't like max charges with those 55 grnr's, but I'm useing LC mil brass. Just started loading some 36grn Barnes VG's and they seem to like plenty of powder (Benchmark), but I still have to get back to the range to verify the load.
I likes me little 1-12, it's a fun little gun ta shoot. ;D
found elsewhere

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
Was the barrel hot for this string?

BB

Absolutely!  I was having a ball shooting it, not great accuracy at first, but on paper and i could move the "group" around, until I got "pushed" enough, about 60 rounds in o the afternoon, that my right shoulder said "Quit it!" and I put on the recoil pad to finish.  Then I got serious and the final string is as you see.  I can "cook up" a load for this barrel to tweak accuracy.  For now though, the progressive press, and the AR-15 have got a new "Buddy" with whom to contend.