Author Topic: New Project- Stubby Maxi  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
New Project- Stubby Maxi
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »
Now that my Encore stuff is gone, I have some scratch for a new Handi project. Within the next few months I will have a stubby Maxi made with a 1-14" twist match-grade barrel. The barrel itself is only 15" long, but will have a 1 1/2" brake installed. The forend used is from a 10ga shotgun and will remain the same length as pictured. The forend will also be bedded with glass and an aluminum pillar. I plan to install one of my shortened hammers with the custom extension. This will allow me to mount low rings and maintain a solid cheek weld to the stock at all times. The scope base and barrel will be modified to 8-40 screws and the base will be  bedded to the barrel.

With a little attention to reloading details, I should be able to get 5/8"-3/4" groups from this rifle at 100yds.

It should also fit my hunting style nicely, with most of it being from a small ground blind or treestand. I just wonder about the noise that brake will produce.... :o

The work will be done by a professional gunsmith who many here know of as "The One who Will Remain Unnamed".  ;) ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Re: New Project- Stubby Maxi
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
I'm jealous! I have been wanting one of those custom Maxi's for a while.  ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
Looks great Dinny!!

A couple ideas for you... 

Personally I am not a fan of muzzle brakes for the extra noise then the shooter gets. Recoil is not an issue with this caliber. I assume your more interesed in staying legal than getting less recoil. If recoil reduction is the aim, Magna Port will not be as efficient, but still takes the edje off while not producing the noise of the style of your picture.

You have seen my post on PRW ring failure. Altho the rings support could have been better, I put more of the blame on the base. I would buy a good, steel base that offeres better support thru complete width grooves. then a good ring like a Burris ZEE or a Warne. Maybe even a Leupold/Redfield tacticle ring. Also a extra screw or two into the barrel at the front of the base would not hurt. No, I don't think you would really need six screws, but two in the back and two new ones up front is my thinking.

I LOVE the look of that heavy barrel coupled with the 10Ga forend! I like the way your thinking!  ;D

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline scott h

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:42:07 AM »
i think what he is talking about is re drilling and tapping the factory scope base screws to 8-40 threads

Offline michael_richardson43

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
Dinny, already have one being made in 357 max. Just waiting to get it back so the fun can start.

Offline reclusej

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
Dinny, all I can say is..WOW!!!! That is really cool !
                                                                reclusej
I own a gun , not to kill some one but
so no one tries to kill me !!!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »
CW,
  Based on your findings, I will ask for one of the gunsmith's custom bases, they have the complete slots in them similar to the Warne bases. That and the four 8-40 screws and I think I'm set.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »
CW,
  Based on your findings, I will ask for one of the gunsmith's custom bases, they have the complete slots in them similar to the Warne bases. That and the four 8-40 screws and I think I'm set.

Thanks, Dinny

I read your going to 8/40's and think its a good idea. The 8-40's will be HUGE step up in overall strength.

I think I told you the story of my 14" 357 Herrett Contender and shearing its 4 tiny #6 screws!! (W/four rings and a 2X Burris pistol scope) I re-drilled for #8's and yet I still had them loosening upon firing. I removed everything, cleaned and degrease the holes, red lock tited the screws, installed new screws and epoxied the base to the barrel!!!  NO MORE ISSUES!!!  ;D ::)

Spreading the load, by spreading out the screws across the entire length of the base, will further increase its strength.  Just sayin'  ;)

Again, the maxi isn't a big recoil-er esp in a rifle, but these upgrades will make for a very stable platform.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
Dinny, I love the plan, but what do you need a muzzle brake for on a heavy barreled Maxi?  My standard contour 16.5 inch on a BC carbine stock with the steel buttplate is a pussycat to shoot.  If you're going to shoot in competition or on a range, the brake is just going to tick people off around you.  A buddy of mine put one on his 30-06 and then sent the barrel back to the gunsmith to cut it off and recrown it.  He said it blew the beer cans off the shelf in his deer shack.  True story.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
Pete,
 In the first post, he states he has a 15" barrel. In order to legally put it on a rifle action it needs to be longer than 16". 
SO, reading between the lines, I'm assuming its to make it legal and "cool" looking. But I agree, they are too noisy!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
Although it will be noisy and it's needed for legal reasons, I think it will also help tame muzzle jump. This will allow me to follow-through a little better if I don't flinch from the blast. ;D ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Now I understand, I missed that part.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
I think brakes get a bad rap.

I've had brakes on many of my guns, and I think they're great.  Yes, they're louder, but I don't really think they make much of a difference to the shooter.  At the range, to the sides there is more noise.  However, I don't think the ported style pictured will have near the blast that a partition style brake does, and this comes from experience.

If you hold on tight, you will probably be able to spot hits with that gun as well, which you couldn't do at short range with that caliber.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
Ty,
  I'm guessing your barrels are/were all longer than 16.5" too. That makes a significant difference. Nonetheless, it's mine and it will shoot bug-hole groups. I'm not overly concerned about the blast, yet...

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 06:10:49 PM »
Any idea on time to do the work and price.  That thing looks awesome!

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »
Any idea on time to do the work and price.  That thing looks awesome!
Matt

Starting at $400 when you provide the receiver and a fitted donor barrel. Should only take about a month.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »
You sure got my attention!
The ports look good, but I think for strictly muzzle control I would go with the Mag-na-port concept, though I dont think it is going to be a jumper anyway.
Way cool  8)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
Man that thing sure looks heavy.  Any idea on finished weight?  What about stocks?  Surely you're not going to keep plain jane stocks on it are you?

Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Man that thing sure looks heavy.  Any idea on finished weight?  What about stocks?  Surely you're not going to keep plain jane stocks on it are you?
Matt

Matt,
  Sans the scope it weighs 7.2lbs. I do intend to keep the palletwood stocks on there. It will see heavy use and there's no use in beating-up something overly nice.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Delkal

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
To be LEGAL the muzzle break will have to be WELDED on.  No Locktite or silver solder.  This will add stress to the barrel, and no bench rester would ever do that.  Good luck with your groups,  they will likely be worse than with an unbreaked barrel.

If it was me I would add another 1 1/4 inches to the barrel.  That way its totally legal.  Even if you want to remove the brake later.

Gotta love the BATF!

Offline spartacus1239

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
    • Just pics
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
That is one cool project gun!
My FFL holder requires any firearms to be shipped to them via another FFL holder.  So, If I make an offer on a firearm please let me know if this is capable of being done from the start.  Please do NOT mark an item "SPF" to me until we "both" are happy with and in agreement on shipping, funds and the transaction in general.   Thanks

Massive music geek, have a LOT of different headphones and headphone amps.

Offline ham7777

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
  • Contributor
  • Two wrongs do not make a right.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
Looks pretty darn cool to me no matter how you cut it.  Tom  8) ;D
Highpower Rifle Sharpshooter Class NRA Endowment Member Army 68-71 RVN 1969 117 AHC Warlords/135 AHC EMU Get the Bloody Job Done/ Me and the Aussies at BearCat RVN 1969

.22 Hornet,.223,.243,.308,38-55(3)(2),44mag.,.45Colt,45-70(20+) .20ga.,(3)16ga.,Huntmans .50cal. Huntman's .58cal. 20 ga. Green Wing,12ga Trap,30-30 AI,35 Remington.12ga. Turkey.22-250 Rem,30-30Win.280 Rem, 7mm08Rem,.30Ebbs,.410/45Colt,.410,30-06,.45 Huntsman,12GA. Huntsman,.44mag Shirkari 45-70 Shirkari (2) 22-250Rem. 25-06 .270 .17Rem Fireball (stub)  7X57AI. 500S&W mag. 450 Marlin mag. 2 H&R 45-70 Trap Doors 2 H&R 48 16ga.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
To be LEGAL the muzzle break will have to be WELDED on.  No Locktite or silver solder.  This will add stress to the barrel, and no bench rester would ever do that.  Good luck with your groups,  they will likely be worse than with an unbreaked barrel.
If it was me I would add another 1 1/4 inches to the barrel.  That way its totally legal.  Even if you want to remove the brake later.
Gotta love the BATF!

I assure you that the brake will be permanently affixed. Also, the accuracy from a .357 Maximum need not be so accurate as to shoot in benchrest competitions. With that being said, this rifle will group much better than most any other rifle chambered so. ;) 5/8" groups are the norm at 100yds with good reloads in a flavor it prefers. The barrel blanks my gunsmith prefers to use in this twist only come in 16" lengths.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
To be LEGAL the muzzle break will have to be WELDED on.  No Locktite or silver solder.  This will add stress to the barrel, and no bench rester would ever do that. Good luck with your groups,  they will likely be worse than with an unbreaked barrel.

Gotta love the BATF!

Apparently you haven't seen some of the work that Dinny's gunsmith does. Rest assured that it'll be a GREAT shooter.

Spanky

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
Apparently you haven't seen some of the work that Dinny's gunsmith does. Rest assured that it'll be a GREAT shooter.
Spanky

You know it!!! ;D ;D

Thomas Paine

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
Dinny
 That is going to be slick. Make sure you yell at me when you come home. I want to see ;)

Lonny

Offline Delkal

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
I didn't mean to question the skill of your gunsmith. In fact, I would love to know who he is! 

Can someone send me a hint?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
Dinny's gunsmith is banned from this site, that's why he can't post his name.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
Tim,  why is he banned?  If he is indeed a good gunsmith and a lot of people use him, why did he get banned?  FYI he was banned before I got here.

Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
He's been banned for a long time due to his association with another banned gunsmith.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain