Author Topic: Ruger LCP first fire  (Read 2033 times)

Offline ejpaul1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger LCP first fire
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
Bought a new Ruger LCP 2 weeks ago and finally got it to the range today. Brought some remington UMC and some HSM ammo to try to find out what it might like. It liked both. No hams, no misfires. Now the little thing stings my hand when shooting, but it cycled through all the ammo without complaint. I understand this is about the third generation of this weapon, looks like they finally got the bugs worked out. EJ

Offline Mohawk

Re: Ruger LCP first fire
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »
Good to hear. I can deal with a little sting for a good handgun. I remember shooting the Seecamp .32 Auto. Made for W-W Silvertips but worked fine with ball. Man, that thing would sting! But a good shooter though.  ;)

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:55 PM »
The Ruger and the Keltec are made to shoot the hot SD ammo. My Keltec shoots to the sights perfectly with 90 gr Corbon HP which is definitely hotter than WW or Rem ball ammo which shoots a bit low to the sights for me. 

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »
I load my practice ammo for mine a bit on the warm side, and it functions well.  I carry Speer Lawman in it for self protection. 
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
Ruger LCP really shoots great for such a little gun. Want even more fun, add a crimson trace to the trigger guard. I use Cor-Bon DPX 80 grn JHP's at 1050 FPS. Also Buffalo Bore 90 grain JHP at 1175 fps. When other pistols are to big, the LCP is there. Back it up wit a 3.5 in. Kershaw quick blade and a Surefire ED1 flashlite and you are good to go.

Want a GREAT clip OWB holster try www.HollandHolstersco.com tell Ted Jim P. sent you.

Regards PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
You might want to be careful shooting "hot" loads in these pistols. I can't say for sure, where the Kel Tec copies...aka Taurus and Ruger are concerned, but while Kel tec says you can shoot +P loads it's not recomended you do so a lot.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »
They are not unusually hot, probably the hottest is the factory Buffalo Bore. But the Cor-bons and Gold Dots shot the best in my LCP.
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline cheapshooter

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
Not just "not recomended", but strongly stated in red print in the Ruger LCP owners manual to not use +P ammunition.
Actually, there is no SAAMI +P standard for 380 ACP. What companies are telling you is that their 380+P ammo is possible loaded above safe SAAMI standard pressure.
It's your gun, your skin, your blood. You decide.
For myself, the Hornady Critical Defense is fine.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:23:52 AM »
Personally I don't see the reasoning behind higher pressure loadings in the small .380s. The slight gain in velocity could put the shooter and the gun in peril. If one really needed 9mm performance, there are 9mm pistols that are not a lot larger. JMO.
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
Personally I don't see the reasoning behind higher pressure loadings in the small .380s. The slight gain in velocity could put the shooter and the gun in peril. If one really needed 9mm performance, there are 9mm pistols that are not a lot larger. JMO.

It's a risky buiseness at best! They warn against it for a reason, and as Savage asked, "Why risk it?" I carry a Kel Tec .32 but as back up for my PF-9. It would be the same if the .32 were a .380. The PF-9 is barely larger, very thin and darn close to being as easy to conceal. If you can carry the .380 there's no reason you can't the 9mm.

Offline IKE

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »
Glad to hear your LCP is working good for you.....mine didn't.

I bought a brand new LCP last month and had 10 jams firing 104 rounds of two different brands of factory ammo....the fired cases would not fully eject.

I called Ruger and they sent me a UPS call tag and I see from checking the tracking number they got it Mon. 5-2-11.

I own several Ruger firearms and this hasn't soured me on Ruger products.....I'm sure they'll make it right.

Ike
"To be one, ask one."

Offline FreeNHim

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:17 AM »
Hi Ike,

Any word back yet from Ruger?  I'm contemplating an LCP for summertime carry, I've seen some mixed reviews.  Let me know how things work out.

Thanks,

FreeNHim

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
I’m amazed at the number of people that expect (want) big bore high pressure performance from their pea shooters.  If you want the high performance (question here; is your life worth the effort of stepping up?) why not just go to a .357 or larger?

I must admit, there are times I might stick something as small as the Colt .25 Auto in my pocket, but that’s generally just to run to the store for a loaf of bread, sometimes around town I will carry a Kel-Tec PF=9, but most often it is a Sig in either .357 Sig, .40 or .45.  If I gotta shoot I want to leave a big hole.  8)

Offline IKE

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:21:48 AM »
I got the LCP back from Ruger ten days after they received it.......good turn around.

The work order said they replaced the extractor and then fired thirty rounds through it without a problem.

I'll still continue to carry my S & W 442 until I find range time to fire another 50 + rounds through the LCP.

Ike
"To be one, ask one."

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »
I have found one ammo that the first  shot out of the clip willl hang up and thats with the remington HD loads. Everything elseruns through the gun without a hitch. As far as the "why don't you carry a bigger gun" goes well there is one saying that no one can deny the gun that saves you is the one you have with you. Summer time carry my LCp is in my pocket all the tim except when I'm sleeping, I forget it's there all the time.  32 or a 380 in your pockets beats the hell out of a 9mm 40 45 or a 12 guage thats back in your vehicle or back home.

Offline Casull

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Rockbilly, remember a .357 Sig does NOT make a bigger hole than a .380 or 9mm.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
I have found one ammo that the first  shot out of the clip willl hang up and thats with the remington HD loads. Everything elseruns through the gun without a hitch. As far as the "why don't you carry a bigger gun" goes well there is one saying that no one can deny the gun that saves you is the one you have with you. Summer time carry my LCp is in my pocket all the tim except when I'm sleeping, I forget it's there all the time.  32 or a 380 in your pockets beats the hell out of a 9mm 40 45 or a 12 guage thats back in your vehicle or back home.

A .380 is false assurance. Try something like a 9mm Taurus Slim. Pepper spray is proly better than a pea shooter.

Offline Casull

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »
Pepper spray is proly better than a pea shooter.

Yeah.  Which would you rather take to the face, pepper spray or a .380 slug?   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!