scents
« on: December 24, 2003, 05:33:41 PM »
Are scent killers , cover scents, and lure scents really needed

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
scents
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 05:49:57 PM »
Most difinally;you have to beat the deer at his MOST important defense.           Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
scents
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 06:52:31 PM »
Total disagreement from this corner. You CAN'T beat a deer's nose.

I like to use these two examples to illustrate my point.

1. When you walk into a home near the holidays and the lady of the house is fixing a whole passle of goodies for the traditional holiday meal does any ONE of those smells cover up or hide ALL the others? Then if you can smell several of them why in the world do you think a deer with a nose over 1000 times as good as yours can't do the same?

2. Drug sniffing dogs can smell drugs tightly wrapped in plastic and dropped into a tank of gasoline. A deer's nose is at least the equal of a dog's. So how in the world do you expect to fool it by using a cover up?

Sorry I just can't accept that you can use a scent to fool a deer's nose. You best be upwind not down wind of them or hope the vagarities of the air currents carries your scent over or around them and not to them.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dutch/AL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
scents
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 05:01:40 AM »
I agree with GB. When it comes to scents and cover-ups, we're all being marketed to and it's all a big gimmick.

When I hear guys rant and rave about their scent lock suits and such, the first question I ask em' is, "What are you going to do about your breath?" The ones that are really gullible respond by saying, "I bought the scent lock mask too!"

The only way you MIGHT keep a deer from smelling you if he is downwind is to crawl inside a large garbage bag or tupperware container. Only problem then is, you will suffocate.

The above average height of a treestand is a much more practical solution to keeping your scent away from a deers nose, but if you're bowhunting it can present a whole new set of problems if you get too steep of a shot angle.

Best advice is learn to use the wind, and base your hunting strategy around the wind.

For those guys who say, "Yeah, but where I hunt the wind swirls and is constantly changing direction." To them I say, well then the deer are probably safe from any harm unless you just happen to get lucky before they figger you out.
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline wareagleguy

scents
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 07:33:14 AM »
Preach on Graybeard!!!

I think you are right.  I see so many people buying into hype.  You will never beat a deer.  Best defense we have is to never get scented in the first place.  It's just that simple.

So, save money and stay DOWNWIND!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
scents
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 08:17:43 AM »
I have tried lots of different scents and found the deer couldn't care less about them. The one thing I do so Is to use scent free clothing and body wash.  and they work OK but i don't want to use something strong like tide. With the population of the US being what it is deer are use to human scent being close to them. I do feel that you can find scents will work at certain times but not the way the makers clam they do

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
scents
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 10:37:07 AM »
Maybe ya'll are right,but in my mind I think them work.I have a buddy that works with me that has a candle business(really his wife's) and he makes candles in small tins that have different hunting scents that he swears by.He has one for late season called "Burning Love",I'll let you guess what it has in it and how it smells :lol:  He has some with white acorns,ect.He takes 3 with him and places them in a triangle  around himself.He has killed 12 deer this year all on national forest land.So who am I to argue.Could me just lucky as hell.You know the old saying;"I'd rather be lucky than good".       Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
scents
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 01:41:40 PM »
:D Hey,ihuntbucks,
  Could you give me that ladies address,I'd like to order some of those candles.I only saw one spike buck so far this season,I could use a little help!!  :cry:  :cry:  :)

Offline Gregory

scents
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 05:03:06 PM »
I use doe in heat scents during the rut, I shower the morning of the hunt with scent free soap, and use unscented deodorant.  I also pay attention to the wind.  I feel anyting that might give me an extra second or two before a deer may spook, may be the difference between getting a shot off or not.

A few years ago I would have done a testimonial to Tink's #69 buck lure, I've had several bucks walk right in to the scent station I put out, but I think they changed the formula it hasn't been effective the last several seasons.  This year I had another scent out and had the same small buck pass my treestand three times.  I spooked him the first time when my stand made a noise.  I'm convinced the scent brought him back for his final visit.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
scents
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 05:42:36 PM »
Runner,it's J.A.M Candles  phone (256)835-0690  ask for Frank Angel.They have a website,but the deer candles are not listed there.This is in Anniston,Alabama.If you do call Frank,tell him "Big Daddy" sent you.That's what they call me at work.                Rick

Offline dbuz

• Avid Poster
scents
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 03:16:40 AM »
A friend of mine put out some doe pee in a field. He was hunting on the edge. A large buck walked up to the scent with his nose to the ground, smelled it, and turned tail and went into the next county. As far as cover or scent eliminators, I've seen some work and some not too good. Like Dutch/Al said, there are too many scents on you too cover them all. You can try eating sunflower seeds to cover your breath like I do, but who knows if that works. Staying downwind is the key.
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
scents
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 07:49:40 PM »
dbuz.sunflower seeds may or may not work as you said,but damn they sure are good. :lol:  Hope you take plenty of water with you also :)                          Rick

Offline dbuz

• Avid Poster
scents
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 08:10:40 PM »
I try not to drink much in the stand. When I have to go, I have to go. :oops:  That's why I don't drink coffee before I hunt. If I do, I usually leave the stand too early.
If you can earn it, why did He have to die?

Offline BH

scents
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2003, 07:13:59 AM »
Not only don't they do any good,  I'm convinced they can actually be worse than the human scent alone if they are foreign to the natural environment you are hunting in.  I once hunted with a guy that was soaked in some kind of pine scent and there wasn't a pine tree within miles of where we were hunting.  I don't know about the deer but I could smell him coming 500 yards away.

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline skoutfitter

scents
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 04:44:17 PM »
Just my two cents worth but after many years of hunting and using about every scent and gimic out there I believe you can not beat a deers nose.  Anything foreign in an area can and will set off a deers survival instincts and once he associates a smell, coverscent or otherwise, with danger he will not forget.  I should make a distinction from any deer to a monster deer.  Without giving my methods away I have successfully found a way to be scent free (or as to a deer invisible) and the results have been incredible.  This past season in one 10 acre piece I shot 3 deer one of which was a 12 pointer 214 pounds and a black bear.  All were under 20 yards and all were down wind from me at the time and I was on the ground.  I go into pieces that I have hunted for years without success and see all sized critters now and even shot a coyote 17 yrds away that was down wind from me as well.  It should be noted that I am from New England and contrary to what is shown on the hunting videos (from other parts of the country) I have watched over the years deer act a alot differently up here than in other areas of the country.  One thing is for certain in N.E. deer can be few and far between so any advantage you may find you better use.  I know of people who hunt year after year and do not even see a deer during hunting season and it is not unusual to go five years between shooting a deer around here.  Just a foot note of how over use of different products can effect deer activity.  I am always experimenting with deer reactions and in my area as with coverscents I believe grunting is being overused.  Not to get off the subject but this last season while a deer approached I made just a slight noise from a doe call to see the deers response and as soon as that deer heard the noise it turned to leave.  I did this because of previous experiences myself and others have had when grunting that we suspected the deer had associated  with humans and were erring on the side of caution.  As I stated in the begining this is only my two cents worth and it does not apply to those one or two year old deer but since I stopped using cover scents and stopped bringing attention to my self in other ways, grunting etc., I have been successful beyond what I ever imagined and I have the trophys to show for it.   :D Happy Hunting Everyone.
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
scents
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2004, 05:10:05 PM »
I have to disagree with all you non believers. :) I use cover scent and have scent eliminator suit. I have deer come with in 10 feet of me and not even know I am there. I have hunted in the same area and not worn any cover scent and the deer have made me before I could even see them. I hear them snort and run away. I am a firm believer in scent eliminator, cover scent and scent lock suits. I got 4 deer this year, all within 50 yards. Two were taken with my bow, both shots within 15 yards. I had 8 deer within 10 feet of me, they were oblivious of me being there. Say what you want about cover scent and scent lock suits, but I will use them. Proof is in the pudding. I'm eating deer meat all year. :) :) :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jhm

scents
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2004, 03:13:33 AM »
I will have to think no, you may get the deer used to  your scent over a period of time, but anything NEW or strange  to the deer is going to send him out of the area. :D   JIM

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
scents
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2004, 05:02:26 AM »
jhm, this was the first year in my new hunting area. The first day in the woods I scored on a nice buck 15 yards. I hunted from the ground that day. I do use tree stands in heave thick cover, but in woods where there is plenty of open space, I prefer to hunt from the ground. Cover scent, scent eliminator and scent suits work. One of my buddies went with me and he is like most of you and does not wear any cover scent or anything. He thinks good camo and wind direction is all you need. The deer make him every time he goes out. Guess where he is getting his deer meat from. My freezer. My other 2 hunting buddies also scored this year on deer. My best friend got 4 deer and the other hunting buddy got 2 deer. And you got it, they both wear cover scents and scent suits. Coincidence, I think not. Sure I have got deer before without cover scent, 100 yards and 150 yard rifle shots. But when you want them in bow range, in my opinion anything you can use to help cover your scent, will get them there. I never rule out good camo either. It is another key to good success. Sorry for the long post.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
scents
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2004, 07:19:06 AM »
I've shot a lot of deer up close with both bow and handguns. NEVER with the use of scent products. In fact not ever, not one single time in all of my hunting career have I even seen a deer reasonably close when using any kinda scent product. Me, I'll leave them to those who believe in them.

GB

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
scents
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2004, 08:54:43 AM »
Being an avid bowhunter, I have used all kinds of scents over the years. Cover scents, curiosity scents, buck lure, food scents and no scent sprays. I have had mixed results with most of this stuff.
I had a big 8 point buck walk right up to a  wick saturated with Tinks 69 and put his nose on the container. I was 18yds away at the time. He is currently hanging on the wall in my den. It was pre-rut and that buck was ONLY interested in the scent.

More than anything I believe in eliminating human odor. I shower with no-scent soap & shampoo. I do not wear the boots and clothing that I'll hunt in until I get afield. (Yeah, It's a pain) All of my hunting cloths has been washed in scent free soap. Boots are sprayed with scent killer spray. When I get out of the woods all of my hunting gear is returned to scent free bags.

Many of my buddies are using quality scent blocker camo cloths. They are all very careful about picking up foreign odors and they claim to see more deer now than they did before being so compulsive about avoiding human odor. Some of the guys use attractant scents and others do not. I'm in the group that always has a container of buck lure. I also carry grunt tubs, rattling antlers and have often hunted with the aid of a decoy.

Decoys DEFINATELY work. I have attracted many, many deer with decoys. I had a doe come a courtin' my little Flambou buck for about a half hour. She was smelling up and down his rack and all along his back. The decoy had cover scent on its body and buck lure hanging below it. I took 4 flash photos of that doe before she left the decoys side. One of my best bucks was taken right alongside the same decoy. Small deer sometimes run away from the decoy but older animals are not so easily intimidated.

VH

Offline jhm

scents
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2004, 10:29:47 AM »
redhawk1  :  The only deer lure I have ever used is tinks 69 during the rut and thats with bow or rifle have had a few respond to it but nothing I would be willing to hang on the wall, Like I said in a earlier post you can get the deer used to you by being in their area during most of the year I know thats imposible for the majority of hunters who have to work and time is limited except right b-4 hunting season well when you wait that long and go into the woods you are going to scare all the deer with your scent or any strange scent thats not normally there, like GB I have killed deer with both handhun and bow more with the bow and never have I used cover scents, I can remember a fellow who had a cigar stub in his mouth from the time he fell out of the rack in the am stunk like something you wouldnt want on your hands but he killed deer every year claimed the deer liked the smell of the cigar ( go figure )  :D    JIM

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
scents
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2004, 01:12:37 PM »
I guess I will keep doing what works for me. If you don't need it, that's great. If we all did it the same way, there would be no need to watch TV or buy magazines to see what others are doing. Man life would be simple. Like a bunch or robots LOL.   :lol:   That is what make hunting so much fun.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline HogSniper2

scents
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 10:16:58 AM »
I wash my clothes and use cover scents in the woods.  My hunting buddies DO NOT.  I get the bucks, they get nothing.  Must be something to cover scents.

Offline coboconk

scents
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 09:37:25 AM »
I have never used cover scents,but have relied on the wind. Stay down wind your OK, stand upwind you're NOT. I have had deer come within 15 yards of me and never know I'm there. I have had others wind me before I knew they were there. Don't you just hate to hear that snort break the silence. You know you were just caught. I have used Tinks #69 and it seems to work well, IF the bucks are in the rut, otherwise you are just wasting money. That's my 2cents good luck

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

Scents...
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 01:29:26 PM »
I try to use common sense. I figure the animal is going to know I am out there. Hopefully not my exact location and from there I try to out position it.

Other than that my scent depends on how long it was "scents" my last good shower.

:roll:

Offline whitecloud

scents
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 01:53:42 PM »
nothing but marketing hype. I good shower with baking soda,all my clothes washed and rinsed in baking soda,hung outside for as long as possible and stored in rubbermaid tubs.I spend MAYBE $10.00 a year on my "system".my closest shot > 4 ft with a bow from a ground blind.Seems to work for me

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
scents
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004, 02:29:56 AM »
the one thing everyone is leaving out is

how close do the deer live to people?

if you hunt in places where there are very few people and the deer do not come into contact with them except during hunting seasons. the deer will be way more wary of human scent, but if you hunt on the back side of a neighborhood where the deer come into contact and have positive reactions with people everyday the deer are more compatible with the human scent being around them and the deer it's  self has a lot to do with this as well. on the farm I hunt i have has spook because of my scent  and snort at me while latter the same day I have had other deer walk right under my stand