Author Topic: Range brass  (Read 1324 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Range brass
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
Anyone else paranoid about leaving you empty brass at the range?  Easy for someone to pick up a bunch of it with your prints, chamber and extractor marks all over it and toss it durning a crime.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Range brass
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »
Not particularly.   

But then again, I never willingly leave a round of brass anywhere.  I am obsessively over protective of my brass..I have a brass fetish, and have withdraw symptoms until each piece is accounted for.   ;)
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline crossroads

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »
I'm more concerned that you won't leave your brass for me to put my own prints and marks on, I mean gee, I only have 3000 rounds for the 9mm. I even have my kids trained, if there is nobody at the range when we get there, they grab a coffee can and pick up any brass that has been left behind :)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:10:13 AM »
Nope never have been, I'm just infatic about cleaning up the area that I shoot from.  Saving the brass is the end result, so that when I do reload for the 9mm I will have plenty on hand.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:05:35 AM »
Never thought of it Larry, but it's a possiblilty.  Just another reason to not leave good brass on the ground.  Our range rules stipulate you clean you mess, but few do.  It's why I have a broom and dustpan behind the truck seat.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:26:26 AM »
That would sure be alot of trouble for someone , I mean join a club etc just to get brass to drop. Then consider if they have the bullet it would not be hard in many cases to compare a bullet from your gun with the one used in a crime and see they were different. Would it not be easier for said shooter to either use a throw away gun or revolver in the crime ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »
what a great idea for one of them CSI tee-vee shows!
Bad guy goes around and collects a handfull of brass from a bunch of different unsuspecting shooters and leaves them (the brass, not the shooters) scattered around the crime scene. That'll make 'em go hmmmm.
Book him Dano.
 ;D

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:06:24 AM »
Larry... I think you've been watching too many CSI programs.   ;D

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A latent would be hard pressed to survive that much handling. And few thugs reload. They would sell the equipment first. I would be a little more uneasy about stolen owned factory ammo. Some folks tend to concentrate on the gun that was stolen and forget about the ammo. And, for example, if I reported 6 rnds of Buffalo Bore .38 20C loads stolen and a year later one was used that would be a pretty good lead. Not many thugs use it.

Offline crossroads

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:15:45 AM »
Besides, if I pick up enough brass that I don't reload for, YET. It gives me a good excuse with the wife to get set up for that cal. In the case of 45 acp that included a new gun  ;D It's getting to the point now that I need something to do with all this 40 brass and I don't have  a 40, YET!  ;)

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
Thank God there's not any brass out there on the ground with my finger prints on it! 8)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
How would they know it was your brass ? Do you live in a bad state ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
I just read a report that gangs are now collecting brass from ranges so as to divert police from detecting their crimes.   :o

Now doesn't that sound unrealistic?   ???
Well, maybe it is......

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
What would happen if brass from 5 different guns were found during an invesitgation?  Yours could be one of the the sampeles.  It could sure scramble some of the investigations, and cause your a lot of grief.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:39 AM »
Blackhawker:  I would love to read that report and speak with the knowledgeable reporter who authored it, on accounta it is my understanding that, contrary to popular (media) opinion, gangs do not stockpile or possess large amounts of ammo.  One friend I met recently mentioned that although stolen handguns may be available on the streets, ammo ain't.  I believe he mentioned that he could not recall when, after a handgun was confiscated at a 'scene', the magazine or cylinder did not contain ammo from 3 or 4 different manufacturers with different bullet types.  It seems as though ammo is in greater demand than the guns are. 

The thought of a couple of gangbangers hot-footin' it out to the local range to scrounge brass just to confuse the investigators at the scene of a crime is pretty far-fetched.  In the first place, they would have to be there when nobody else is and they would have to know what they are looking for - both are a stretch.  I cannot imagine a car load of gangbangers driving up to any range I know, at night, and getting out and using flashlights or headlights to see the brass they want to pick up, without alerting enough people to call up the reserves; nor can I see a bunch of gangbangers trying to pull that sort of a stunt during the light of day, which may be painful. 

I think that, in truth, the only people who think of this are those who have a much greater knowledge of ammunition and how such a idea could be confusing to investigators.  I just think this is way beyond the conceptual powers of most criminals and for gangs, somehow I just don't think so.  jmtcw. 

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 03:34:59 AM »
Mikey has a very good point. Thugs don't put much thought into things they do. We received a death threat at work which is pretty common for me. He was identified the same day with nothing more than his voice. A good rule of thumb is don't give thugs too much credit and don't underestimate investigators. Thugs are lazy and investigators are work-a-holics. It takes a lot more than different brass to throw them off a crime scene.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:26 AM »
Sorry if you guys got the wrong impression.  That posting of mine was supposed to be a joke....hence why I said; "Now doesn't that seem unrealistic?"  The point I was making is that it IS unrealistic.
Again, sorry if you got the wrong impression.
I think the idea of this would make a great story for one of those cheesy weekly crime shows or something.

Could it happen?  Well sure, anything could happen.  But, when all is said and done, unless one's fingerprints match any previous records, how on earth would the authorities link YOU (the person with the brass that was left behind) with the crime at hand?  You could live 25 or more miles from the scene and have been on vacation yet your brass was there.  They could do a pin test and ballistic test and then compare the ballistics from the bullets collected from your gun and the evidence would prove NOT to be YOU (the person who left brass at a range). 
It's very far fetched and the chances of it happening are like the same chances of getting hit by lightning on the same day of the year and in the same place where once struck before.

Again, I'm sorry if my previous comment was misleading. 

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »
Blackhawker - no man, I'm sorry - I should have read it a bit more closely.