Author Topic: Nano Cannon Powder  (Read 2046 times)

Offline coreycja

• Trade Count: (0)
Nano Cannon Powder
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
Hello all, I had a quick question regarding a micro cannon that I have that is very similar to the one below. I was about to make a black powder purchase from powderinc and was just wondering what would be the best powder for my application? I've tried pyrodex, but the results are mediocre at best, nothing like the blasts shown in the video. Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.

Not a valid youtube URL

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Nano Cannon Powder
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
coreycja

WELCOME to the board.

I'd use REAL blackpowder (you might have to order it and it shipped to you).  Start with 4Fg.

Love to see the pictures.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
For that little guy I would use 4F black powder.

I notice that Powder, Inc carries Meal-D right now. I have never used Meal-D, but since you are placing an order specifically for that guy, maybe grab a can or two of Meal-D as well and see how it works.

Either way, even a 5 pound minimum order shipment from Powder, Inc should keep you all set for that beast for quite a while.  ;)

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
coreycja,

Welcome to the board. That little beast looks like great fun. rickk is right about 4f, I think that 5 lbs. would last most a decade, even with 5 kids and 3 grandkids.

Michael

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
Take one granule of Cannon grade, use a brass file to file it to fit.  ;D
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
Take one granule of Cannon grade, use a brass file to file it to fit.  ;D

Good one!!!

Offline coreycja

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I just really started getting into cannons, and figure I'd start small, and eventually get bigger cannons as a gain more knowledge. BTW here is the sequel to the 1st video:

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:53:19 AM »
Ok, who here wants to mass produce those?  There is something cool about a gun you have to load with tweezers. He certainly has no problem about making a mess inside his house.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »
Ok, who here wants to mass produce those?  There is something cool about a gun you have to load with tweezers. He certainly has no problem about making a mess inside his house.

No mess inside the house???  ???  Where is the fun in that?  ::)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:34:01 AM »

No mess inside the house???  ???  Where is the fun in that?  ::)

If I were fire one of those in my home, my cats would mess in my house, then I'd have to clean it up. 
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
     This mini cannon is really cute.  It produces results way beyond any nano, micro or mini that we have shot.  The question that comes to mind is this:  How?  Have you fellows noticed that very, very little smoke issues forth with each shot?  Actually, no smoke is evident in some shots.  Blackpowder is really good at producing smoke even in the mini cannons.

Unfortunately, there is only one way to get this level of performance from a mini cannon without producing smoke.  No.  Not nitrocellulose smokeless powder.  A loose-fitting #2 shot is not going to produce enough pressure to do anything like what is shown with any modern rifle, pistol or shotgun powder.  The grains in the paper trough featured in Video One are very finely ground.  They are some type of pyrotechnic powder.  The attributes of some pyro powders are tremendous power with low volume.  We mixed these as kids and somehow survived.  We are not stupid enough as adults to do that again.  Never. 

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:23 AM »
I don't think he's using black powder either. Notice that the powder is red in color.  We could not break a water balloon with the 1-1/4" long barrel BB mortar.  I lengthen it to 2-1/2" long and now have much better results. If that mortar on his video used black powder, I don't think it would have broke some of those things, if any.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »
I think he is using a form of flash powder, I have a container of it but mine is a form of black powder
but a super fine granulation burns fast and still smells like black powder, his may be a variant....
Still not recomending the use.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
Actually, in the first video, when he is loading the mini with the red powder, the word "gunpowder" is flashed across the screen. Maybe it is some finely ground gunpowder? Modern smokeless gunpowder should be able to do that, I'd think...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!