Author Topic: any comments on Bud's Gunshop?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline JeffDavis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (38)
  • Avid Poster
any comments on Bud's Gunshop?
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
I am considering buying a gun or two from Bud's Gunshop. Has anyone had any dealings with them? If so, was it good, bad, or indifferent?

Only asking as I found several links to complaints about Bud's practices and how they treat customers with problems.  Definately not trying to flame
on them, but I am a little leery after reading responses posted by Bud's in response to the complainers.

Thanks in advance.
REPUBLICAN: We work so you don't have to.
A friend in need is a pest.

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • endeavor to persevere
Re: any comments on Bud's Gunshop?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:30 PM »
I have bought there and had no problems. I  read those bad reviews too, ones about a guy that bought agun that was supposed to have a compensator and didnt, they said return it but wouldnt pay to return it, I wouldve stopped the credit card payment, and see if they would then. otherwise i would buy again there.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »
I've bought a couple from Bud's without a problem.  They do usually take a couple days to process and ship orders.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
I have bought several from Buds, w/o any major issues.  There shipping can take a few days depending upon how busy they are with other orders.  Look at the sales counter on their homepage, Buds is a very busy place.  Also, they have a tendency to misfile their gun listing, mixing up brands and shotgun/rifles, so you need to poke around a bit on their website if you are looking for a particular gun to make sure they didn't pidgeon hole it somewhere.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:02:08 AM »
I've only bought one from them and didn't have any problems.
I think they have mostly positive outcomes, but a few negative.
I think when you factor in the volume of business they do you'd expect a few problems.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »
I've bought three rifles from Bud's, they used to ship much faster than they did the last in January, their processing took a week before they shipped it and that was to a preferred dealer on their list, but they did say they were backlogged....after I asked.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
I've bought one rifle from them. My order somehow got delayed for a couple of days, but when I e-mailed to inquire they upgraded me to next day delivery. So I have no complaints. I'd purchase from them again.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:54:22 AM »
Well, I will let you know.  Just ordered a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 7mm-08 from them on monday. Put it this way, if it works out they beat any other only price for the same gun by $100 and Cabelas by $200.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
I asked Bud's multiple question in multiple emails about a single used rifle.  Receiving NO RESPONSE in a week I went elsewhere to buy.  The next week their used gun was sold.  Waiting didn't cost a dime and I eventually purchased THREE instead of one rifle from GBO Members, with VERY GOOD results.  Sucks to be Bud's....

Offline JeffDavis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (38)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »
I am looking at a handi in 357 or 44 mag and a Taurus 1911 in 9mm. The 1911 is the cheapest I have seen anywhere and it is in stock. Since all I lack is the tax refund, the only thing holding me back is dealing with an out of state dealer over the internet.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming!
REPUBLICAN: We work so you don't have to.
A friend in need is a pest.

Offline alabamagene

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
Good prices, but generally useless customer service.  I live in the town they are in, so I go in there a lot.  You can stand there for 45 minutes and not get waited on.  The worst is this younger blonde lady that works in there.  She obviously thinks she is better than everyone else and is doing a HUGE favor by answering a question for you.  Some of the guys in there are great but the good ones aren't always there.

The funniest thing is that every you try to call they don't answer  When you walk in the store, the first thing you hear is the phone ringing.  It rings non stop and nobody ever answers it.  It's like the Dude in the big lebowski with the bag phone.  I always want to say to them "phone's ringing dude."  I've been there on Saturdays and weekdays, busy, slow, it doesn't matter.  They don't answer the phone, and it rings continuously all the time.

I've tried twice online and once in person to get a quote for a Lipsey's Ruger #1 in 475 linebaugh.  They never answer my emails and if you go in in person they get deer in the headlights and tell you you need to email quote requests like that.

Basically, I think the founders had the right idea but haven't invested any effort in hiring and training their people and have let day-to-day operations go to pot.  They're still very cheap compared to others and only charge $10 for incoming transfers (nice for me) but I would give them low marks for customer service.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
I've only bought from them once and had no problems other than shipping, slow.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
got several handi's and many uther's from them....yes, a lil slow but they got and everbody else don't ;D

will continue !!!!!!! ;) really don't care how much folks biches bout'um. they have always
done me gud.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline ham7777

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
  • Contributor
  • Two wrongs do not make a right.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
I bought 2 Handi's with no trouble,they had what I wanted at a fair price. Could not find them any where else.  Tom  8) ;D
Highpower Rifle Sharpshooter Class NRA Endowment Member Army 68-71 RVN 1969 117 AHC Warlords/135 AHC EMU Get the Bloody Job Done/ Me and the Aussies at BearCat RVN 1969

.22 Hornet,.223,.243,.308,38-55(3)(2),44mag.,.45Colt,45-70(20+) .20ga.,(3)16ga.,Huntmans .50cal. Huntman's .58cal. 20 ga. Green Wing,12ga Trap,30-30 AI,35 Remington.12ga. Turkey.22-250 Rem,30-30Win.280 Rem, 7mm08Rem,.30Ebbs,.410/45Colt,.410,30-06,.45 Huntsman,12GA. Huntsman,.44mag Shirkari 45-70 Shirkari (2) 22-250Rem. 25-06 .270 .17Rem Fireball (stub)  7X57AI. 500S&W mag. 450 Marlin mag. 2 H&R 45-70 Trap Doors 2 H&R 48 16ga.

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
I live near them too and have bought a couple of handguns from them.  No problems, no waits and saved quite a bit both times.  People around here sure don't mind quoting Buds when they want to get a better deal on a used gun.  Yeah, they're busy.  Anytime you go over there there's a crowd.  I found the "younger blonde" to be quite friendly.  Must be my Old Spice :P.....'course, I am a chick magnet :-*
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
I ordered a new scope for my 38-55 TC and got it in 3 days.  The same scope at Wal-Mart was $50 higher - Bud's even beat Wally World.   How about that!  :o
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
Doesn't look like I may ever get a chance. I asked the two FFL shops here and they both said they won't accept guns from them. One had to excuse himself to a lady that was standing near when I ask him. I think he called them Whores. I didn't really understand that but just said OK. Guess I have a way of getting people fired up ;D I would check with your FFL before you push the buy button. I was not really happy about this as I found a couple guns there. They are across town from each other but both seemed to have the same policy.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »
My FFL has transferred literally hundreds of firearms from Bud's with no problems, he's on Bud's preferred FFL list,  he runs his business out of his home and doesn't have a shop and doesn't sell firearms himself, does some gunsmithing, the comment suggests your shop owner doesn't like being undersold.  ;)

Tim

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
When you buy from Bud's, do you go to a local shop to fondle the same model before you buy, or just buy the gun unseen?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Tim, I agree fully. I'm sure by the prices I've seen on Buds site, he is lower priced than they like. I just thought it odd, the only two I asked had the same policy. I'm not gonna say anything as I felt lucky to find an FFL that was affordable for me to use. The others were too high. I'll keep looking for someone to accept from them in case I want to order something. I wasn't trying to be negative towards Buds. I have no experience with them. YET ;D

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
Bigvarmit, Buds has a FFL list of those in your area that they deal with. Ive had FFLs tel me they add a $70 Buds surcharge to recive there guns. I just scratch them off my list and move on. DR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
I'll keep looking for someone to accept from them in case I want to order something.

Plug your zip into one of these locators and make some phone calls, there's got to be someone in you area that is reasonable, be sure to confirm they're still licensed and what they charge.

Tim

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

http://www.fflclick.com/

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
bought my 327 handy from them great service tried other places here with no results going to order a hand gun shortly.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
I am looking at a handi in 357 or 44 mag and a Taurus 1911 in 9mm. The 1911 is the cheapest I have seen anywhere and it is in stock. Since all I lack is the tax refund, the only thing holding me back is dealing with an out of state dealer over the internet.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming!
I wouldn't buy a Taurus 1911, IMHO, usually you get what you pay for. Check the Taurus/Rossi forum for comments regarding their guns, before you spend your hard earned money.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.