Author Topic: 357 Mag. Barrel  (Read 663 times)

Offline VT30-30

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Avid Poster
357 Mag. Barrel
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:11:51 AM »
I sent in a frame for a new style syn. stock and have a 357 Mag. barrel  fitted. It took 3 weeks turn around time which is very good.
My only problem is I think the fore arm was defective but I still got it anyways. When it was fitted to the frame, the fore arm sits
about 1/8 of a inch to the left as does the barrel channel. When fitted, someone used a Dremel tool and reamed out the stock
hole on the left side so much that a small space is beside stock bolt. The forearm fits the same on my other barrel that goes on this frame.
This morning I called Remington Cust. Serv., explained to serv. rep the problem and the only thing that he said I could do is return
rifle to the factory and it'll be checked out. I figured that I just order a replacement from Choate and be done with it.
la mort avent le de'shonneur

Offline TippyRacer

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 357 Mag. Barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:04 AM »
Sorry to hear about your forearm problems/issues, but I am curious what 357 Mag barrel you ordered?  We know they (Ilion) have the 18" but I was wondering if you ordered/got a 22" since CS in Madison says they don't have any right now.
Did you just send it in & get it back recently?

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 06:33:48 AM »
I just got my CR rifle back last week. It was fitted with a 22" 357 barrel. I don't know if the barrels are still available or not because  the rifle was up there for about 6 weeks.

Offline VT30-30

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:45:33 AM »
Yes, I sent my frame in on Mar. 4, and recvd it yesterday. I also called cust serv. and was told that they had neither barrel in
357 Mag. On the order form I put down the 22 inch as my first choice and then the 181/2 in as second. My barrel is the 22 inch
and barrel looks nice. I'm mounting a scope and want to shoot it this week, as we're getting a big snow storm here in Northern
Vt. this weekend. Hopefully it'll shoot great, as I plan on reaming it out to Max. later on.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:51:03 AM »
Do what you need to make the forearm sit right, then apply release agent and epoxy in the mount hole and bed it in yourself. You can use RTV for the barrel channel first (per the FAQs) to make it sit correctly.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:55:32 AM »
VT, check to see if the forend lug is mounted correctly, sometimes they weld it on off centerer which makes modification of the forend necessry....and off center. The best fix is to have the barrel repaired since it's new, but there are work arounds as gcrank1 mentioned. If you choose to send it back, call and ask for a return shipping label to cover shipping.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline VT30-30

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:11 AM »
I don't think the forend lug is the problem, as I put my old style syn forearm and it fit perfect. The fore arm just seems almost
made as when I put it down on a flat surface it looks like it sets to the left side. I would have to take about 1/8 of a inch material off
on the left side were the stock meets the frame to get it to set right on frame, and then the barrel channel. I just thought that
the person who mounted it to frame would of seen that it wasn't sitting right. Thanks for all the help.   Steve

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »
If your going to order a new one I would play with trying to fix it, if it doesn't work then you will still have a new one to put on it.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »
I'd call again and tell them you have a defective forend and ask for a replacement,  the next rep you talk to may even suggest it, some reps are very helpful, some not so much.  :-X

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »
I had a related issue.  When I got my 223 ultra frame back with cinnamon laminated stock with a 20 gauge ultra slugger the forearm was really red compared to the buttstock.  I called them up and told them about the issue.  Dropped the red one in the mail and had one that matched my buttstock.  This was after the move. 

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline VT30-30

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
I think I may call back and ask them about getting another forearm. I think that QC didn't get a chance to look at my rifle as if you
look at the forearm it's obvious that fit is off. Hopefully the next rep I get will suggest a diff. forearm.

Steve