Author Topic: New Scope for the .338  (Read 429 times)

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New Scope for the .338
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »
Just got my rebored .338-06 back from Classic Barrel Works.  I need to scope it and am not quite sure what to put on there.  I want to stay under $200 but could go as high as $300.  Just wanted to get your opinions and why you'd choose it.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: New Scope for the .338
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
With me a scope is going to tell you what I am going to do with the rifle.
Woods deer or pig hunting, I would look at a Weaver K4  4X38 scope  or Low profile 2.5-7X33 Weaver V7
Deer stand over field   Weaver K6  6X38 scope ( I find the fixed power scopes great- No thinking about power just when in the scope to aim for what yardage.  100 middle of the cross hairs, 400 at the point where the post go frm thick to thin or what ever it is on your rifle.  But you don't have to think about what power and whenre to aim.)
General purpose 3-9X 38 Weaver V9
All are about $200 so and you can get them at Midsouth.  Some will leave $ in you pocket for mounts, ammo, rifle case, or scope cover.
I think the Weaver K and V series are every bit the quality that the Leupold Var X II scopes are. Good clear scope.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
just got my first weaver and i love it. 6x38mm and it shows me more details than 9x on bushnell banner
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
Just got my rebored .338-06 back from Classic Barrel Works.  I need to scope it and am not quite sure what to put on there.  I want to stay under $200 but could go as high as $300.  Just wanted to get your opinions and why you'd choose it.

I suggest Leupold in 2-7x? or 3-9x? in whatever model you can afford.

Stellar choice for choosing the 338-06 A-Square.  I bought my first 338-06 in a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight and snagged an awesome deal under $200 new on a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40mm scope and a T/C Encore 24” stainless steel barrel originally as a 30-06 Springfield factory barrel, was re-chambered/re-bored to 338-06 A-Square by Classic Barrel Works in Prescott AZ. This barrel I won off of Gunbroker.com wears a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm scope which was also a great price under $200 new.

I have used the Weatherby on deer, but haven’t had the chance to try the T/C barrel.

yooper77

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
Thanks for the input so far.  Good to know about the Weaver.  There's just something about an old 1917 Enfield wearing a Weaver that just seems right.  I've seriously considered Nikon, Sightron, and Redfield.  Leupold is a no-brainer, just not quite in the price range unless I find a great deal. 

The rifle will be primarily for Whitetail and Hogs, but may get to go after Mulies or Elk.

I'll be posting pics and range report later in the Custom Rifles forum.  I've still got to decide what to do with the trigger, bed the action, and work up some loads.