Author Topic: 300 Whisper cast bullet loads?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
300 Whisper cast bullet loads?
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:13:02 AM »
Does anyone have any links to some cast bullet loads for the 300 Whisper.  All of my tables only list jacketed bullets.  I have worked up a couple for my RCBS 30-180 and my RCBS 30-200 that seem to work OK.  I just thought there might be a few recipe's out there that are tried and true that would save a few primers.

Offline 30063030223357

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: 300 Whisper cast bullet loads?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »
I don't have any load data for you, but was wondering what gun you are shooting and if you are shooting sub-sonic loads. I just recently purchased an olympic arms upper in the 300 fireball. Have been shooting some 125 gr. super-sonic handloads and have also tried some 225 gr. sub-sonic loads. Both with very good accuracy. Would like to someday add a suppressor.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
Given the performance range of that cartridge, I don't think you would have to worry about special cast bullet loads. Just pick a book load for whatever weight jacketed bullet you want and use a cast bullet instead. Should work fine. Now if you are shooting through a can, keep in mind bullet lube slingoff and have some way to clean it out.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »
Mine is actually a "300 Fireball".  It's a "Frankenrifle" with a Model 1 Sales barrel, DPMS upper, Essential arms Lower, and a milspec bolt group.  I assembled it myself.  I would catch a part I needed on sale and purchase it, put it in the dresser drawer, until I got everything I needed.

Given the performance range of that cartridge, I don't think you would have to worry about special cast bullet loads.
  I hadn't thought of that, you're probably right.  It is a very versatile cartridge.

I've shot both subsonic and supersonic loads through it with no problems.

Offline gary0529

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
Have shot my cast 165's through my 300 Whisper with a Gemtech can with fine results- usually in the 1 1/2" at 100 yards range.
don't use it for deer unless you can insure a head or spine shot as I have found that they pencil through with no expansion-usually if you do not drop it with the above mentioned placement you need to follow up.

as for the can, I find that soaking in Ed's Red works fine, compressed air to blow out and if there is any left in the baffles it burns out in the first 3 or 4 shots.

actually I have had the hardcast 165's go right through 4x6- on the 4" side- timbers at the range-kind of surprising to me anyway.

Gary