Author Topic: Wildcat????  (Read 1008 times)

Offline UplandMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Wildcat????
« on: December 25, 2003, 02:10:29 PM »
what is a wildcat cartridge???

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
Wildcat????
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 03:13:09 PM »
generally speaking,
  It is a cartridge, that isn't factory produced, either exsisting or obselete.
Most are made by re-forming exsisting rifle or handgun cases.

Offline tera

Re: Wildcat????
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:30:30 AM »
Wildcat
Cases belong that you form roof of the length which you want
It is necessary to know that they have leave a standard case can make 200 Calibrate differ 
It is necessary to know for what they are going to use it?
What will be its speed its energy?
 :) ;) :D ;D ::)

But it is necessary that you know the recharging
It is necessary to leave simple foundations of recharging
With one case they can make everything almost bloody idiot wants

I myself am a fan of Wildcat I search Wildcat am hushed up even of forum which you can visit to learn it more about the practice of Wildcat ;) :) :D

cao

Offline Catfish

Re: Wildcat????
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 02:56:39 PM »
Wildcats are for people with to much time on their hands and they ike to play with thing that are dangerious. Due to the large varation in chambers of wildcats their is no data you can get that you can be sure is safe in your gun, so you have to start alittle lower and work your way up in velosity and presure in small steeps while watching for presure signs. You have to form all of your own brass and  they will do nothing that you can do with a factory round. You have to be crazy to play with them, I know, I have 6 wildcat rifles at presrnt running from .17 cal. up to .411 cal.  :-[

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
#1 & #2 &#3
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 06:49:41 AM »
what is a wildcat cartridge???

#1). There are "factory" cartridges that are made by a factory and ammunition is available over the counter. Much of the development in this area has --in the beginning, .50/70 gov. eg.--  centered around military cartridges and guns sold surplus. 8 x57 mauser. .30/'06 Gov. etc. The factory can be in multiple locations around the world. I forget how many countries have made (with license) "Mausers." Other places without license or a copy (like the 1903 Springfield. Mauser sued and Uncle Sam paid royalties until WW I.  At the other extreme, some experimenter comes up with something and finally has a small factory (1 man shop???) and one or two gun stores stocking ammo... it varies.

#2). Improved cartridges. In this situation a cartridge, a "factory cartridge," has been changed to "improve" things. The quickest glimpse at the "turn of the century" cartridges (1900) reveals ALOT of taper. I have had it suggested to me that this was for "feeding" thru the action. The realitively fast powders of the era may also have contributed. .300 H&H is a "funnel shape." Many gunsmiths saw an advantage to expanding the case in the body area to hold more powder among other things. Expanding the body of the H&H (.30) led to many cartridges. Mr. Ackley's is well remembered. The same round with "radiused angles" at base of neck and neck/body juncture is the .300 Weatherby Magnum which was then necked to .25 thru .33... Work, promotion, by Mr. Roy Weatherby. In the beginning an "improved" since you could fire .300 H&H cases in the chamber to make cases for the Weatherby.

#3). Those "on the cutting edge" are working with something that cannot be bought over the counter or easily made like the "improved" case... This combination of changes, usually to a factory brass case, gives you a true "wildcat." At one time the PPC cartridges were quite "wild" 'cause of the difficult availability of brass in .220 Russian from which they were made... Going the other direction, .22 savage Hi Power is on the edge... Norma makes the ammo, but can you get it? What was once a factory cartridge (ask great, great grandpa--someone's) is now on the edge of "wildcat." Newtons. Then there are "dashers" which I understand to be "short chambered" versions of the .243 Winchester in a selection of calibers--I.E. hold less powder... Now you take a short .308 case (parent case of .243..) and you are back to the .300 savage case which is also the .250 Savage and in .24 the 6mm International...

If you really want to wander in this field, Mr. Ackley summarized thousands of cartridges, factory, improved, and wildcat, in two volumes... available from eabco.com, sinclairintl.com, ebay sometimes, etc.-- and the trip is long... luck