Author Topic: time to re-write the constitution  (Read 1958 times)

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
time to re-write the constitution
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:48:52 AM »
Yes its time and reduce the time the president serves in the white house to 2 years. This would allow a shorter"visit" for the screwballs elected to this office.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: time to re-write the constitution
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
NO it is NOT time to rewrite the Constitution and NEVER EVER will be.

Any such opportunity they get will result in ALL the protections and freedoms mentioned being removed. That is the most dangerous thing that could happen is to let them have a chance to remove the Bill of Rights and to write in that the federal government is supreme and the people are the subjects of it.

If anything should begin a new revolutionary war that attempt would be it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »
+1 graybeard.  Our government would work just fine if the people in office were honorable enough to hold everything/body in check with the checks and balances in place. The problem is not in the Constitution, but with the corrupt who have misinterpreted it.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
Once a politician is elected, and that means town board up to US President, they should never ever be allowed to hold any political office again. That would ELIMINATE the old boys network. One term, then back to the real world, nice knowing ya.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with the Constitution. Why change what's not followed to begin with? Folks in Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, and Vermont actually are protected by the 2nd Amendment. Why risk changing that?. Ever grocery shopped with a .357 in plain view on your side? I did and folks didn't give it a second look. And this was in Las Vegas. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »
Open carry is legal in Alabama and 40 years ago I did it but today I suspect you'd have a bad experience if you walked into a store carrying openly. It's kinda understood a huge number of folks are carrying around here but I'm sure it would make the antis and the non gun owners who aren't against guns somewhat nervous.

These days I keep it concealed when going into stores but do often carry openly in the truck for faster access should it ever be needed. In the 66 years I've been on this earth it never has been yet but ya just never know.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:17:50 AM »
comparing the idiots we have in office today with the intelligence of the founding fathers, then the answer is NO.

Offline Shu

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:38:05 AM »
Sometimes I think an amendment to limit congress to two terms would be great.

The Constitution as is, is the greatest governing document written by man.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
We need an amendment to the constitution to force the feds to balance the budget.  That would solve a lot of issues.  Forcing this would close military bases we no longer need in Europe.  Gets rid of foreign aid, farm subsities, arts, public radio.  Get back to basics, defence of homeland, roads, social security, and that is about it.  Yes we need regulations on corporations, but the feds have allowed way too many mergers over the last 20-30 years.  We need about 20 oil companies, not 5.  Break up the larger banks into more smaller ones.  Capitalism is competition, not oligarths.  Feds are way too big also.  Health care and abortion are states rights issues, not the feds. 

Offline magooch

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 06:22:34 AM »
If the idiot who now is the justice appointer, gets to appoint a couple more Justices to the Supreme Court, there will effectively be no Constitution.  Then it will be time to lock and load and get it on.  LET'S ROLL!!!
Swingem

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:21:47 AM »
We need an amendment to the constitution to force the feds to balance the budget.  That would solve a lot of issues.  Forcing this would close military bases we no longer need in Europe.  Gets rid of foreign aid, farm subsities, arts, public radio.  Get back to basics, defence of homeland, roads, social security, and that is about it.  Yes we need regulations on corporations, but the feds have allowed way too many mergers over the last 20-30 years.  We need about 20 oil companies, not 5.  Break up the larger banks into more smaller ones.  Capitalism is competition, not oligarths.  Feds are way too big also.  Health care and abortion are states rights issues, not the feds.
Or they could just eliminate schools, social security, medicare, medicaid, govt pensions, govt healthcare, raise taxes, etc. Nothing about any of that in the Constitution. Lot of ways to skin a cat.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 07:41:40 AM »
Yes its time and reduce the time the president serves in the white house to 2 years. This would allow a shorter"visit" for the screwballs elected to this office.
  With all due respect, YOUR INSANE!

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »
From what I read locally, the Feds contribute very little to the local school systems, mostly free lunches and breakfasts for the poor who probably already get food stamps.  Most is from the state and local taxes.  You are right, according to the constitution, if it is not in there, it is reserved for the states to handle.  1/3 of the Wisconsin school teachers sends their kids to private schools.  Wonder why?  If we don't get a handle on the federal budget, China, Japan, and others are going to want to cash in.  Either it will be high inflation, high taxes, or they will own federal property like land.  We owe 14 trillion, we take in 2 trillion a year.  Since Obama took office we have been spending 3 trillion per year.  When our debt reaches 20 trillion, the payments on the debt will be over 2 trillion.  This will happen in a few years if we don't do something now.  Raise the retirement age.  Limit welfare to the disabled only.  Take taxes off corporations and replace it with tarrifs on foreign oil and goods.  The corporations will have no recorse but to bring the factories back.  Eliminate income tax and replace it with a national sales tax.  Get the illegals out since they are putting a burden on our health care and school systems.  Lots of things we could do. 

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »
I think we are only one Justice short for the supreme court to declare the constitution or any part of it unconstitutional. 
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline Buck-Ridge

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
I don't think we need a new constitution. We need for our government to follow the one we have. I do think we need a couple of amendments. 1st we need a balanced budget amendment. We need it to protect us as a free economy from government. I also think we need term limits on the legislative branch. Govt. service was originally envisioned as service not a career of corruption.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
There is one change I would like to see however, borrowing from switzerland would be the people voting on tax increases. A system like that may have avoided the position we are in now.

All what ifs aside, if our politico's would honor their oaths of office, and the Constitution, we wouldn't in all probability, even be having to look at this issue.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
Term limits is what we need.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
[/quote who you going to get to vote in term limits? that would be the same people you want to limit ant going to happen

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »

We have term limits............Most voters won't exercise it ::)
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 12:12:51 AM »
We got term limits for the Wyo. State government one year. It was passed and signed into law. Then a couple of the Senators went to court and got it declared unconstitutional. I'm not saying we will ever get term limits, but that's what we need, non-professional politicians.

Offline magooch

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 04:03:18 AM »
Haven't you people figured it out yet; it doesn't make any difference what laws are passed, nor what the Constitution says.  When the people who get elected don't choose to follow those rules ... well, we see what happens.  I believe we are one election away from a dictatorship.
Swingem

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 04:37:43 AM »
LEAVE THE CONSTITUTION ALONE. There is nothing wrong with the Constitution. The problem is with us as we have allowed our "leaders" to subvert it. We have exactly the type of "leadership" the MAJORITY of voters want. It's called democracy. Pogo knew what he was talking about.  ;D

I don't want to even think about what we would get if today's "leaders" were allowed to rewrite the Constitution.

Offline Gary G

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
NO it is NOT time to rewrite the Constitution and NEVER EVER will be.

Any such opportunity they get will result in ALL the protections and freedoms mentioned being removed. That is the most dangerous thing that could happen is to let them have a chance to remove the Bill of Rights and to write in that the federal government is supreme and the people are the subjects of it.

If anything should begin a new revolutionary war that attempt would be it.

GB, there was a major theoretical flaw made by our founders in the Constitution. It is the power granted to the government to tax the governed without their consent. This enables the government to grow, which is what all governments always do, until all rights and liberty are lost and the whole system implodes from debt. When the parasite sucks all the blood out of the host, they both die.

All that we see today could have been prevented if government revenues were voluntary. Sure government would be small and we would have to depend on ourselves, but the alternative is the welfare/warfare state, where eventually you obey the government or go live in a cage until the system exhausts it's ability to tax and borrow, them implodes.
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »
I see three constitutional amendments needed.  One for a balanced budget, one for term limits for congressmen and senators, and one for all congressmen, senators, president, etc, to get the same benefits imposed on the people if they pass a law like health care.  They would think twice about passing it, they would listen to the people more since there are term limits, and they wouldn't overspend except in national emergencies. 

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 03:18:16 AM »
If the rest of us were to listen to some of you guys, the Constitution would be the size of a Webster's unabridged dictionary.  Leave it be!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »

No need to change the greatest document written since the BIBLE. We already address the option you want to have. Its called impeachment .
 Please don't confuse the lack of using the Consitution as it was intended to be used with need for change.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline freetrapper

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:47 AM »
  The way I see it these guys in office are no differant than any other crook, we have laws and the constition. neather of these are being followed or inforced by those that could inforce them. If allowed to change the constition who would rewrite it, the sameones that are not following it now. They would have all the power and rights , you would have none and be thier slave to do with as they want!!  The constution is not broke so do not try fix , inforce it!!! May the Good Lord guide us.    Freetrapper.

Offline magooch

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 04:09:08 AM »
Enforce the Constitution?  How is that done?  Don't we have to depend on the people we elect to enforce the Constitution and other laws?  It all boils down to who we elect.  As I see it, it's the voters who are the root of the problem.  This is why democracies always eventually fail.  I think we are very close to that point and I really believe that the next big election will tell the story.
Swingem

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
Enforce the Consitution , humm isn't that part of the reason for the second adm. and voting ? Seems the job falls on we the people ? one way or another what happens is we the peoples fault .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
The only way we could get term limits for members of Congress is through a Constitutional Convention (ConCon). IMO, there is no way Congress would pass and send to the states for ratification, an amendment to the Constitution to limit their own terms of service.

Many have considered a ConCon a wild card, with wide open, and therefore very dangerous possibilities. I tend not to see it that way. Whatever comes out of the ConCon would then have to be ratified by ¾ of the states, so wild crap, like an equal rights amendment, which failed last time, probably would fail this time too. So far I believe about 32 states have passed resolutions calling for a ConCon. 34 states are required. The convention would be open to anything. The last time we had one, in 1787, they were convened to fix the Articles of Confederation, but apparently they considered that a hopeless cause and scrapped it entirely and wrote a new Constitution.

Payback from the hoi polloi for the last time they got dissed by Congress (Jim Wright’s middle of the night pay raise) was Article XXVII, “No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.” It had originally been proposed in 1789 with the other 11 amendments of what became the Bill of Rights. It was approved in 1992 after Jim Wright angered enough people. Jim Wright was small ball compared to the number of people upset about Obamacare. Over the years there have been calls for a Constitutional Convention, but they haven’t gotten enough states to approve resolutions to call one, but they are very close. They only need a couple of more and then it is on. I think this probably won’t happen while people see what happens in the next presidential election. If O’Bummer is seen to steal the election like Ahmadinejad did in Iran, then it could produce a ConCon; it could be very colorful. There have already been books written about it.

Here is my list of tops to consider for amendment into the Constitution:
1.   Term limits for members of Congress, both House and Senate. How about 3 terms max for Congressmen and 2 for Senators?
2.   Renewable terms for judges and justices (10 yrs?) No more lifetime appointments. California has this. Rose Bird lost her election as chief justice of the California Supreme Court after managing to come up with reasons to commute the death sentences of over 50 convicted murderers. She took down three more justices with her.
3.   Kill the bill. Whatever is necessary to kill Obamacare and prevent it in the future.
4.   Modify Article XIV and allow people born in the US to be automatic citizens only if mom is here legally. No anchor babies! This may not require an amendment, just a clarification.
5.   Reign in the Commerce Clause
In addition, I suspect people would propose:
6.   Right to Life Amendment restricting abortion
7.   Balanced budget amendment. The likely result would be never again to cut taxes.
8.   Repeal Article XVI, the income tax and put a limit on types and quantities of taxes (No Value Added Tax (VAT) perhaps?)
9.   Repeal Article XVII, statewide general election of senators.
10.   Repeal Article XXVI, giving the vote to 18 yr. old citizens. Take it back to 21.

You can see where this is going. It would be open to anything that could garner a 2/3 vote in the convention and a ¾ vote in state legislatures, which is why the ConCon has always been considered so dangerous, but we may be at a tipping point: a ConCon may be necessary to prevent the country from being hijacked by the Marxists and lost forever.

Tom